Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear camber arms- What does everyone use?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    Just throwing this out there, we have some rear Upper control arms in the works. They are very similar profile / clearance to E46 rear uppers and they are adjustable length. They can be fitted with a spring cup if you don't want to run the spring on the shock and these can be used with factory sway links. Oh and did I mention they don't break when your car bottoms

Attachment 657171

The catch is if you want a set, You all need to call Sean's number (the number at the top of SLRspeed.com) and hound him about this , I don't know about price yet, Sean hasn't set one yet.
    Fuqqqq, I was just complaining yesterday on Joshes car that I was out of camber adjustment and still not at the spec I wanted, and we were not stoked about having to do a rear coilover in order to get an adjustable upper.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    We have a set sitting here but Sean has been a bit distracted lately. We have a jig and can build more but the best way to kick Sean into gear on something like this is to blow his phone up.

My Cars
    LS E46
    I’d like to see side-by-side comparisons of the SLR and stock arms so I can see if they really offer the same or better clearance because from the pic you’ve posted, they sure don’t look like it.

The stock arms don’t break when you bottom out either. They just bend. I have a LOT of personal experience with this. Maybe you mean the spring perch breaking for various reasons, but that’s not the same thing as when the arm bottoms out on the chassis.

9CC6DBD2-CE70-4D1B-957D-FF6D18B81070.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Bend? Wow. I figured they would just break.

also, suspended? lol

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Not from bottoming out (due to a shit coilover design by a certain company) I've broken 3 RUCAs so far. Adding Bimmerworld seat reinforcement plates seems to have stopped it, but the additional camber adjustment would be nice.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Piner- that's exciting! Except that I already of separate coil/ shock suspension, so I see no reason to eliminate the spring perch. I'f I'm not super low and dont have any issues with my rear alignment since I did turner camber arms, what'd be the benefit to going for tubular upper control arms?

Nova- what are you doing when breaking the UCA? I've been at it for 3 years and havent broken or bent one yet, as far as I can tell.

Also- saw the suspension. I was reporting any post that he was unpleasant in, but I though he'd actually been behaving for the most part recently. still, have to laugh.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Nova- what are you doing when breaking the UCA? I've been at it for 3 years and havent broken or bent one yet, as far as I can tell.
    Nothing out of the ordinary, I broke both sides in one 6 hour track day. Maybe a few dirt drops in the mix, but nothing crazy. Just kept seeming like my rear ride height was getting lower and lower but I was too lazy to check until the springs hit my axles.

The BCs I went years on. They had a wide flared part on the adjuster to distribute the load. The FA adjusters don't have this wide base, instead they have a stud coming out of the adjuster and a big nut. When you bolt this to the spring perch it either concentrates the load too much on a small area, or it wrenches back and forth on the aluminum. I replaced both arms, and one did it again after a second track day. I replaced it again and this time didnt tighten the nuts, just put them partway on with an assload of loctite so they wouldn't fall off and one hasn't broke since.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    On my 510s, I don't even have the nuts on them. It's been fine so far. If I break them, I plan to go with E36 uppers.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    On my 510s, I don't even have the nuts on them. It's been fine so far. If I break them, I plan to go with E36 uppers.
    I was scared they'd tip over at full droop with no nuts at all. Mine are just real loose so they can't fall out. I had a spare set of HKS adjusters but the spring diameter was different.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Really? I have my shocks adjusted so the spring is preloaded a tiny bit at full droop. Plus the E30 was WAY worse than that and the springs never fell out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123