Thread: 06 X3 (m54) cranks but won't start - help

My Cars
    94 325is

06 X3 (m54) cranks but won't start - help

I was so excited when I bought this 2006 X3 a few weeks ago. It was running fine and the old owner reported that the only repair he did in the 2 years he owned it was to replace the valve cover gasket. The battery was old and weak; on the 2nd day I was driving it, I left the headlights on for 1 hour while at a friends house and it was too dead to turn over the engine.
    I tried jump starting the car and it would crank but not start. And that is where my mystery (and troubleshooting) starts.

- Replaced the battery with fully charged new one - crank but no start
    - Fuel pump doesn't prime when I put the key in the on position so checked fuel pump fuses and relays (they are good).
    - no power at fuel pump (I can get the pump to run wiring 12 v straight to it..so pump is ok)
    - Tried spraying started fluid into intake- doesnt fire - so I think there is also no spark.

at this point, based on my diagnoses (and all the great postts on this forum) I am thinking Crankshaft position sensor.
    I got my hands on an old ODB sensor and found a pending code p0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction)I purchased a new CPS (OEM) and last week I finally got a chance to replace it. but the car still wontstart....just fast cranking.
    Yesterday, I removed the new sensor again - checked that i have power at the wiring harness (12v), cleaned and reinstalled sensor..but still no joy.

I am out of ideas and could use some help or guidance.

- Some people seem to suggest that the DME needs to be reset/reflashed after replacing this sensor..but that doesnt seem that likely (and doesnt seem like a consensus on these boards). Should I do that? is there any way to do this without a trip to the stealership?
    - the fact that this problem started when I was jumping the car (I know jumping isnt a great idea) makes me think maybe there is a different electrical problem? Or I fried the DME? would it still store and show error codes? Other than buying a new one, how can I get this checked?

I am at a loss and wide open to ideas, suggestions or guidance.
    thank you in advance for your help!

Motts

My Cars
    2001 525it
    In this day and age I would not recommend jump starting anything. Get it to a shop let them run thru it

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    check the wiring to the sensor itself, circuit malfunction usually points to wiring. Hope this helps.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    X5 E53 528i E39
    sounds like the ews/dme/key combo that communicates with each other...is not communicating. If you have Inpa software or any other, that is capable of reading the ews and dme look for key data and on the dme is another thing, but I can't remember what the name is. I have a ews/dme/key combo if you end up needing one... if its the key just go to the dealer and buy another key from the dealer.
    E36 M3 95-sold
    E30 318i 91-sold
    E39 528i 00-rebuild at136K - sold
    E36 M3 98-sold
    E53 X5 4.4 05-the beast
    E53 X5 3.0 5M/T 01-sold
    R56 Mini Cooper S 07-sold I should have keept it
    E83 X3 3.0-the wife's
    E36 M3 97 - The new project - Sold