Thread: Fuel leak right rear passenger side

My Cars
    BMW 740i

Fuel leak right rear passenger side

Hi, today I noticed my E38 is leaking gasoline. Started the car, looked immediately under the car and... there it came dripping down at quite a speed. I already had the feeling it was using up so much gas... now I know why. It appears not to be leaking when the engine is off and the line is unpressured. I have to fix this, . Question: is this a 'common' problem? and if so: is it easy to fix? Many thanks in advance, regards, Sopado ps; in case I would have a picture of the underside of the car I could show which fuelline it is that is leaking. Does anybody have (or know the location on the forum or internet) of such a pic?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Fuel pump is on the side. Pull up the rear seat and you will see where the wires go in. If it hasn't been replaced before, you will need to cut away the rubber cover. It will be obvious what I mean when you pull the seat. There will be a metal cap to remove under there. Remove that and you will see the top cap on the fuel tank that the pump is attached to. Could be the hose is split right there and is only leaking when the pump is running.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a photo of mine from years ago. It was leaking about the gasket and where the connection goes thru the cap.

My Cars
    BMW 740i
    thanks Mayorchuck. I took a look, it's dry there. I went under the car, refitted all hoses, tubes, bolts and clamps. Problem solved

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Good work.