RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 06 X3 (m54) cranks but won't start mystery

My Cars
    94 325is

Post 06 X3 (m54) cranks but won't start mystery

I was so excited when I bought this 2006 X3 a few weeks ago. It was running fine and the old owner reported that the only repair he did in the 2 years he owned it was to replace the valve cover gasket. The battery was old and weak; on the 2nd day I was driving it, I left the headlights on for 1 hour while at a friends house and it was too dead to turn over the engine.
    I tried jump starting the car and it would crank but not start. And that is where my mystery (and troubleshooting) starts.

- Replaced the battery with fully charged new one - crank but no start
    - Fuel pump doesn't prime when I put the key in the on position so checked fuel pump fuses and relays (they are good).
    - no power at fuel pump (I can get the pump to run wiring 12 v straight to it..so pump is ok)
    - Tried spraying started fluid into intake- doesnt fire - so I think there is also no spark.

at this point, based on my diagnoses (and all the great postts on this forum) I am thinking Crankshaft position sensor.
    I got my hands on an old ODB sensor and found a pending code p0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction)I purchased a new CPS (OEM) and last week I finally got a chance to replace it. but the car still wont start....just fast cranking.
    Yesterday, I removed the new sensor again - checked that i have power at the wiring harness (12v), cleaned and reinstalled sensor..but still no joy.

I am out of ideas and could use some help or guidance.

- Some people seem to suggest that the DME needs to be reset/reflashed after replacing this sensor..but that doesnt seem that likely (and doesnt seem like a consensus on these boards). Should I do that? is there any way to do this without a trip to the stealership?
    - the fact that this problem started when I was jumping the car (I know jumping isnt a great idea) makes me think maybe there is a different electrical problem? Or I fried the DME? would it still store and show error codes? Other than buying a new one, how can I get this checked?

I am at a loss and wide open to ideas, suggestions or guidance.
    thank you in advance for your help!

Motts

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Did you get this resolved?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Sorry I missed this previously.

"Fast cranking" ? How fast? Does it sound faster than normal? If so, it's possible the engine is flooded with fuel, which washes away the compression.

Does the code return, after clearing it, and trying to start the car?

The fuel pump on many BMWs only primes when the computer sees a spinning engine. On BMW's which do prime the pump at key turn, the pump only primes for two seconds.

You need to test for spark. Remove one coil, put a spark plug in it, ground the threads of the spark plug (with a jumper wire to the shock tower, for instance), andd see whether you get spark when the starter turns the engine.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471