Thread: Help adjusting door, closing problem on driver's side

My Cars
    Z3 1.9 140hp

Help adjusting door, closing problem on driver's side

Hi everybody, last week i finally took the decision to adjust the door hinge on my Z drivers side, but removed all the door panel, window and still can't find a way to adjust it. I am attaching picture and a small video of how the door close but apparently the window makes pressure in the opposite side (pulling outside) and that makes the door need a slam to close. Also the window motor needs a lot of force to move down when the door is closed. When door open it moves up and down freely without a problem.

Comparing both doors, i noticed maybe the door space between A pillar and door is bigger on the driver's than in the passenger side, is there a way to adjust it? Also the window can be moving unevenly and that produce the glass to almost touch the roof instead of the rubber weatherstrip of the door.

Here are the pics and the video:
    WhatsApp Image 2018-08-18 at 09.44.25.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-08-18 at 09.44.25 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-08-18 at 09.44.26 (1).jpeg

Thanks!!!

Ariel

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    You don't need to adjust the door, you need to adjust the window. You can probably fix your problem just by adjusting the read window track which can be accessed without taking off the door panel. Open the link below and look for the adjustment called Preload on Door Window.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-front/BdQPhcR

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pszemia View Post
    ... took the decision to adjust the door hinge on my Z drivers side... the door need a slam to close. Also the window motor needs a lot of force to move down when the door is closed...
    The door is sagging badly, as shown by the circles I drew on pictures of my door and your door. The top edge of the body must align with the crease in the top edge of the door. The top edge of your body is aligned with the window weather strip.
    This makes the door hard to close, audible in the bad "thunk" in your video.
    And while your door is downward in the rear, your glass in the door is downward in the front, as shown in your first picture.
    You need to re-hang the door, and then see what further adjustment is needed for the glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vintage42; 08-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    Z3 1.9 140hp
    Thanks, took a look at the newtis web, but still don't know how to rise the front part of the glass, that rear guide will allow me to move inward or outward the glass, but the bad level is still a problem.

Also Vintage, that's a bad picture, the door is well aligned, the problem is the glass i think.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-18 at 18.11.36.jpeg

Thanks!!

Ariel
    Last edited by pszemia; 08-18-2018 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pszemia View Post
    Thanks, took a look at the newtis web, but still don't know how to rise the front part of the glass, that rear guide will allow me to move inward or outward the glass, but the bad level is still a problem.

Also Vintage, that's a bad picture, the door is well aligned, the problem is the glass i think.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-18 at 18.11.36.jpeg

Thanks!!

Ariel
    That TIS covers all adjustments that are possible for the window. Including the track adjustment that I mentioned before and the height and parallelism of the window. Sounds like you need to adjust the height and parallelism next.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Have you checked the plastic runners in the window regulator? Worn runners will alter how the window sits and fixing any worn runners may solve your problem. Best check them to base line the windows operation before adjustments are made.

See several treads on the plastic runners in the FAQ page of this forum.

Item 15 (in boxes bottom right of picture) https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2325. They are the connection between the window and the regulator and slide in the regulator arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNsWGuwnbn0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xio--5e5dU&t=54s
    Last edited by Muzz258; 08-19-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.