Thread: Quick CA OBDII Smog Question

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5

Quick CA OBDII Smog Question

I am currently thinking about buying an out of state M3 with not the original S52 in it, however still a stock S52. I am fairly certain it shouldn't be an issue both visually and when they scan it for emissions, but I wanted to reach out and get some other opinions before I buy it.

Will I run into any issues without going to a referee station and getting is BAR certified?

Thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You will be fine, I’ve personally never had the smog tech check the vin tag on my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    325is
    Did the car come from a state with SMOG check that verified the Computer / VIN number? The computer contains the original vehicle VIN number also. If they also swapped the Computer the SMOG guy will notice a non compatible number on the title if it was not changed. If it is the original computer I also doubt anyone will check the engine serial number if it all looks OEM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    It came from a non smog state. Not sure if they swapped the DME or not, is there anyway to tell if its original to the car or the motor? Anyway that is the type of issue I was trying to think of so thanks for mentioning it.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    Did the car come from a state with SMOG check that verified the Computer / VIN number? The computer contains the original vehicle VIN number also. If they also swapped the Computer the SMOG guy will notice a non compatible number on the title if it was not changed. If it is the original computer I also doubt anyone will check the engine serial number if it all looks OEM.
    If it was not the origional DME wouldn’t EWS have to get aligned anyways, so would it still show the weong vin?

My Cars
    325is
    The shop may have changed the DME and EWS and keys and locks with the engine swap. Or they reprogrammed the DME to the car Vin number.
    Or they may have deleted the EWS with a bypass. There could be many thing done to get the car running. As for what will CA SMOG do?
    You can compare the DME VIN with the chassis to see if there might be a difference. (may need to ask CA SMOG for correction process) Do all the keys work glove box, trunk, doors, ignition with the same key?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...8-E36-DME-swap