Thread: What's the cause of blue white smoke?

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport

What's the cause of blue white smoke?

So I'll start from the start.

Bmw curse you, and your God dang flawed cooling system.

So my 5 was a top besides the exhaust system.
    The motor was very new it was replaced and everything well put together yada yada.

The only things wrong where the abs because solenoid wear, and there was not catalytic converters (straight pipes from last owner because cats are exspecive platinum) and the secondary air pump is bad so when the engine swap was done we just said f the pump. ( this info will help later)

So winter came car was awesome during summer. Then issues came.

The car started overheating. After investing I noticed I had a coolant leak on the bottom of the reservoir (btw it's a m52b2.8 the 98 engine that they used in the e36 328i so it's the old style reservoir) where the drain plug is. The plug just couldn't hold the pressure anymore. I would have to top the coolant of and stuff them I noticed the car would over head and stuff unless I gave it gas hard so I knew the thermostat was bad.

I ended up replacing the thermostat was i full success the car wouldn't over heat. While I did the thermostat job I also put some teflon tape on around the drain plug to try and hold the coolant in.

That kinda worked but I had bigger problems now. The coolant return hose had holes in it from wear and tear because of the hose clamp and the harsh winter. So when I took it off to remove the stuff to get the thermostat, it ruined the hose. But I had run out of time and I needed to work and get more money. So I had 2 coolant leaks now. One still on the bottom of the reservoir and one from the hose.

After going through like 5 to 8 bottles of the 50/50, 8 buck, buy cheap coolant from walmart and 3 weeks of on and off overheating, the car fing start smoking

Blue and white smoke on start up.

I was able to fix the the hose finally bought a new one at aitozone.

But the blue and white smoke. at first I was thinking my head gasket blew because I was getting rough idle and stuff on cold start. It wasn't crazy smoke just small amount at first (plus the idle thing like rough idle was happening all winter long I thought from the secondary air pump not pumping gasses into the exhaust to help the car on cold days.) So I was used to the idle thing but its summer again so it was strange. And the bmw would only fire 5 cylinders or so it would sound like, but if you turned the car off and back on real fast it would be normal again. So alot a weird stuff right? But the smoke thing. The blue smoke came after all the over heating like I said. It came up only on start I would drive and the smoke would go away after a sec no real smell to it. I thought the gasket was going bad but I still need to drive to work to make money to fix the car so I drove it. It wouldn't over heat and only smoke on stop. Car started getting more smoky then one night I got no start . Checked the oil and stuff it needed some it was slightly low. Got some oil out it in levels back to normal. Next morning it engine locked. I got upset I looked at the oil level and it was not low at all. I put some oil in it and the car opened up like 5 hours later and it blew out alot of smoke and rough idle. It sounded like a old ass Chevy or something. Just clunk clunk clunk and was like 300 rpm swear. Then after running it more smoke bla bla warmed up smoke went away expect for stop so I got curious. Ccv? Looked up stuff about ccv all that came up was e46 engines. So I had to look up e36 ccv and finally some results. I ended up putting on a catch can but I have the VC hose going to my catch can and the catch can just blows to atmosphere. I put it on last night. I plugged the dip stick hole and the intake hole with a cork. The car now starts but it dies immediately I have to keep gas on it. I drove it home from my moms like it was a manual. Smoke blew out again like usually. Also the whole system is covered in the mayo shit and the oil is runny. Idk if that's from water because of a failed ccv or if my head gasket is really screwed. The ccv looked fine when I looked at it, like the diaphragm was fine. My catch can has no oil in it from the drive home last night.

So what could it be its alot of info sorry but I can get more specific if you ask.

Any help appreciated btw my e38 starts up now and runs but dies also (but my vacuum reservoir isnt plugged in so that might be why)

So what is it

Head gasket

Ccv/Pcv

Catch can setup flawed

Piston rings / valves yada yada the bad stuff

Thanks for the help -Kyle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Blue smoke = oil, white smoke = coolant.

Please have someone read and correct your post. It is almost incoherent.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Blue smoke = oil, white smoke = coolant.

Please have someone read and correct your post. It is almost incoherent.
    Blue smoke on start up. (Oil and gas mix)

White smoke when driving. Goes away after warming up.

Back to a blueish smoke when idling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    Please have someone read and correct your post. It is almost incoherent.[/QUOTE]

I stopped reading half way through. And didn’t respond because it was too much work