Thread: Engine/ rough idle

My Cars
    2015 535i xDrive

Engine/ rough idle

Hello everyone, new to the site. I have a concern. I have a 2015 535i xdrive that tends to have a rough idle after starting. It use to be infrequent but now it's almost with every start. It last for about 10 to 20 sec then subsides and everythings fine. i called the dealership service department advisor, and they said it could be normal, since there are no service lights coming on. So i don't know. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Is it normal? Any input would be helpful. I was thinking about gas treatment but I'm very very reluctant to do so. I only run premium gas. Thanks for the help and info.

My Cars
    BMW 2011 535 XI
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM72 View Post
    Hello everyone, new to the site. I have a concern. I have a 2015 535i xdrive that tends to have a rough idle after starting. It use to be infrequent but now it's almost with every start. It last for about 10 to 20 sec then subsides and everythings fine. i called the dealership service department advisor, and they said it could be normal, since there are no service lights coming on. So i don't know. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Is it normal? Any input would be helpful. I was thinking about gas treatment but I'm very very reluctant to do so. I only run premium gas. Thanks for the help and info.
    It’s normal because the turbo needs some time to lubricate/ accumulate pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    That could be any number of things, but my gut says a clogged or about to be faulty fuel injector. There was a bulletin on older injectors in May I had half of. mine replaced. I noticed a difference at idle afterwards.

i would try some injector cleaner first.

Also make sure the air filter is clean and the intake is all buttoned up properly.

could also be a loose vacuum hose somewhere.

(make sure you don’t get gas when the fuel tanker is around. Any sediment in the storage tanks gets stirred up)
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 08-17-2018 at 09:12 AM.

My Cars
    2015 535i xDrive
    Hmmm... what kind of injector cleaner? As far as filter, I'm going to try the k&n.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Hmmm... what kind of injector cleaner? As far as filter, I'm going to try the k&n.
    this is a good one and it’s avail. at the auto parts store, Walmart, etc

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/super-concentrated-fuel-injector-cleaner

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535xi
    I have a 2011 BMW 535xi. I use Seafoam fuel additive. I am not sure how other BMW enthusiasts feel about it though. You could try it and see if it makes any difference. I use it regularly and also try and use gas from the same source.

Heres a a brief description. Good luck.
    Seafoam is a fuel additive which has several uses. Its primary purpose is to clean the fuel system of varnish and fuel deposits. It also cleans carbon from your combustion chamber to help reduce emissions and allow your vehicle to run better.