Thread: Key fob does not work

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL

Key fob does not work

My FOB does nothing despite the red LED going on on the key.

When I got the car used there were a bunch of parts lying around in the trunk, one of which I discovered to be an alarm microswitch part #

. As I understand it, there are several of these microswitches, though I know none of their places, nor the reason why this one would be removed (defective?). Some potentially relevant info: The passenger window on the driver side is inoperable though I can hear a clicking noise from under the back seat when I press the up and down buttons. I also got a new battery if that makes any difference. I had to solder a relay for the parking lights to make them work again, in case a similar fix would be required for this situation. Also the speaker that makes various noises such as key in ignition, door open, etc.. was also removed. When I plugged it back in it just rang at the same pitch loudly so I removed it once again. A final potentially related item is that the onboard computer does not work, but this could be due to burnt lights.

Any advice on any of the above is appreciated!

1989 735IL

Thanks!
    Last edited by christofult; 08-17-2018 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Part #

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    which type of remote key do you have? Go to Bimmerboard DIY, scroll down to the bottom . there is a older and a newer owners manual, showing how to initiate the remotes http://www.e38.org/e32/
    In case it is the IR socalled switchblade, see here, how to set and how to test http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/tips...ps_tricks.html
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    I've got the three button one in the 88 manual. I prbably need to initialize the remote, Thanks!

Any ideas on the door malfunction, microswitch, OBC, or the alarm in the driver footwell? (I edited the part # above)

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    "Also the speaker that makes various noises such as key in ignition, door open, etc.. was also removed. When I plugged it back in it just rang at the same pitch loudly so I removed it once again. A final potentially related item is that the onboard computer does not work, but this could be due to burnt lights. "
    I had that problem last year. I posted that earlier: E32, E34 chime on / off at random - fixed
    Applies to E34 and E32, same parts are used on both cars.
    Yesterday I came into the garage and hear the chime constantly making noise, gong, gong, gong. Could not be a weak battery, as I had the battery on the charger and the battery is just 6 months old. Anyway, tested the battery, o.k.
    Switched ignition on ACC, gong stopped. Then came on again.
    Made a test drive, gong came on randomly, sometimes for minutes, sometimes only a few gongs. Came home and at that time the gong was off, switch engine off, gong starts again.
    No warning in the check control. Even with key out of ignition the gong continued.

So I started checking
    installed different chime, same problem
    installed different cluster, same problem.
    pulled the CCM, even with pulled CCM and no key in ignition the chime continued.
    Chime went off when I pulled the black connector on the chime left hand under dash left side of steering wheel, there are 2 plugs/connectors, 1 x white, 1 x black.

So I started to study the ETM for a 1989 model E32 http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e32/e32_89.pdf
    On page 7100-25 picture 3 you can see
    X518 connector black, 4-Pin
    X522 connector white, 3-Pin

X518 black on my car has only 2 wires, 1 x Red-White, 1 x Blue-White.
    X522 has 3 wires on my car

Removing plug X518 stopped the gong, so I could concentrate of where this one goes in the ETM. X522 is connected with the instrument cluster, X518 with the OBC on board computer, see page 6581-07. And it is also connected always with terminal 30, constant 12V.

OBC pinout is here and that shows there are the 2 pins for the chime BMW E34 Website
    OBC
    pin 1 : violet/green/yellow, alarm system
    pin 10 : black/green, starter
    pin 6 : + from fuse F17
    pin 9 : + from fuse F20 (red/yellow)
    pin 8 : + from fuse F1
    pin 22 : grey/red, light switch
    pin 25 : yellow/red, turn signal switch
    pin 3 : white/yellow, diagnostics
    pin 16 : white/violet, diagnostics
    pin 14 : white/grey, instrument cluster
    pin 7 : black/white, instrument cluster
    pin 4 : ground
    pin 5 : blue/red/yellow, temp sensor
    pin 20 : black/red/yellow, pre-ventilation
    pin 21 : black/white, pre-ventilation
    pin 23 : violet/white/yellow, alarm system
    pin 17 : red/grey/yellow, alarm system
    pin 26 : black/red/yellow, fuel tank level sensor
    pin 12 : brown/violet, fuel tank level sensor
    pin 11 : white/black, DME
    pin 24 : black/violet, DME
    pin 19 : white/red, chimes
    pin 18 : white/blue, chimes
    pin 15 : white/brown, radio
    pin 2 : blue/brown/yellow, radio
    So I removed the radio to be able to remove the OBC, installed a spare OBC, problem gone! So if you have a problem with the chime randomly coming on without any reason, this info might help.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/john/e36_gong.html
    here you see which pin makes which sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxnlJAvyr5s

Microswitch looks like this 65758350549 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/65758350549/
    That goes on top of the battery cover, see here https://www.drive2.ru/l/7068950/
    Function: when you set the code on the OBC for drive away protection and someone wants to steal your car and he wants to disconnect the battery to manipulate the drive away protection (see owners manual), when he pulls the seat, the alarm starts as the switch opens.

"The passenger window on the driver side is inoperable though I can hear a clicking noise from under the back seat when I press the up and down buttons. "
    Might be the internal electronic overload relay inside the GM = general module under rear seat.
    translate this with google :
    Fensterheber und SHD = electric sunroof:
    Es gibt Prioritaeten wie das ablaeuft in der Beschreibung ZKE. Das Relais schaltet ab
    -wenn laenger als 60 Sekunden ein Strom von ueber 36A oder
    wenn laenger als 0.3 Sekunden ein Strom zwischen 36 und 60A oder (Ueberlastung)
    -wenn laenger als 0.1 Sekunden ein Strom groesser als 60A fliesst (Kurzschluss)

Um die Laststromkreise TSH/ZV/ZS/FH/SHD sicher vor Ueberlast zu schuetzen, wurde zusaetzlich zur 30A Sicherung eine elektronische (reversible) Stromsicherung eingebaut. Im GM wird der Spannungsabfall am RM gemessen, und je nach Spannungsabfall (Stromschwelle) unterbricht das Sicherheitsrelais den Laststrom .

Die Abschaltwerte der 30A Sicherung werden dabei nicht erreicht (diese wurden nur dann schmelzen, wenn ein Defekt an der elektronischen Sicherung vorliegt).
    Die Ansprechschwelle dieser elektronischen Sicherung ist so gelegt, dass immer vor Ueberlast der angeschlossenen Steuerungen automatisch abgeschaltet wird. Ein automatisches Wiedereinschalten erfolgt nach 60 Sekunden!!!! Jedoch nur dann, wenn diese Verbraucher abgeschaltet waren bzw kein Kurzschluss vorliegt. Ein automatisches Wiedereinschalten kann 6 x erfolgen bei eingeschalteter Kl. 15. Diese Sperre wird aufgehoben durch Ausschalten der Kl. 15.

Um die Ausloeseschwelle beim gleichzeitigen Einschalten mehrerer Verbraucher nicht zu erreichen, koennen bei der FH-Steuerung gleichzeitig nur 2 gleichzeitig angesteuert werden. Werden mehrere Tasten gleichzeitig betaetigt, so werden nur die zwei ersten Befehle ausgefuehrt. Sollte bereits bei 2 eingeschalteten FH die Ueberlastgrenze ueberschritten werden, so wird ein FH abgeschaltet. Dabei haben die FH vorne Vorrang.

in brief: 6 times overload for
    -wenn laenger als 60 Sekunden ein Strom von ueber 36A oder
    wenn laenger als 0.3 Sekunden ein Strom zwischen 36 und 60A oder (Ueberlastung)
    -wenn laenger als 0.1 Sekunden ein Strom groesser als 60A fliesst (Kurzschluss)

and the GM switches that function completely off and switches it on when ignition has been switched off once for 60 seconds. Terminal 15.

So you have somehow too much load there sometimes.
    See under 10 ZKE http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm (German language)

TSH = Tuerschlossheizung = door lock heating
    ZV = Zentralverriegelung = central locking
    ZS = Zentralsicherung = central fuse
    FH = Fensterheber = electric windows
    SHD = Schiebe Hebe Dach = electric sunroof
    WS = Wischen Scheiben = window wiper
    SRA = Scheinwerfer-, Nebelscheinwerfer Reinigung = headlights and foglights cleaning
    SIR = Scheiben Intensiv Reinigung = window intensive cleaning
    IB = Innenraumbeleuchtung = interior lights

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Thanks I'll give this a shot. The FOB programming did not work.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Do not give up so easy with the fob initializing, sometimes I tried for more than 30 minutes and then suddenly it worked.

As for the window, remove the door cover and check the sliders and the rail where the sliders are moving, maybe old hardened grease or often the plastic sliders are broken, they are very cheap.