Thread: E36 LSX swap Ecu and gauge questions?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is

E36 LSX swap Ecu and gauge questions?

I've been researching this for about 4 years. It is litterally what made me fall in love so hard with these cars

I found a single owner, garaged, full records for every 5k, 1996 328is in white on black, with it's window sticker, and every upgrade, guy still had sample CD in the disc changer and the seat repair samples lol.

Couldn't believe my luck, so I snatched it up, and it's been my baby ever since.

The suspension has been completely re done, with the LSX swap in mind from day 1.
    HD control arms, bushings, etc, following the 95 m3's setup, as I thought it felt the best, insert my own improvements where I saw fit and my own subframe re-inforcements. Had to change a few things so that she would be adjustable.

So then I bought an older laptop, the connections, and 3 spare Siemens Dame's, and started figuring that system out until I was confident in my ability to manipulate it.

What I'm trying to find out is what setup ends up working the best to control the LS? This has been my dream daily driver for a decade, not a track car, and none of the car builds I find really follow up or really touch on just how the LS has been integrated, or anything they wish they were different. ATM I'm siding with wiring it in, reflashing and having it use stock gauges for driveability.

What I'm worried about is future tunes, speedo adjustments, etc.

I was a ASE certified mechanic, I let it lapse while I was working as a programmer and web designer.

I have a CNC shop at my disposal, and have been working as an IT consultant for years. So building it doesn't scare me, what I can't get a feel for is what is going to be a good amount of effort/reward?

The car has a raspberry pi running in it now for live gauges/nav and extra things like TPMS. So I could do that all over again for the LS I guess, but TBH it doesn't have the same confidence as real gauges, or the get in and go feeling if ya know what I mean?

I've looked at every LSX swapped e36 and e46 that has popped up for sale around me in person hoping to get an idea, and honestly, besides 1 car, what I've seen is frightening, and they usually don't have answers to my questions.

This place had always been my go to, even when it's shit I don't want to hear, anybody point me in the right direction or lend me some first hand? Please?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Just stumbled across your thread here - kudos to the idea (I've the same inclination for my track car 328i) and hopefully someone has more info for you.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    check out the engine conversions section of this forum, I and many others here have done the ls swap. Post up over there and im sure people will lend a hand