Thread: Questions and input for a 6 speed swap into a 740iL

My Cars
    1994 740il, 1995 318i

Questions and input for a 6 speed swap into a 740iL

I got a new job this summer and had to abandon plans to start my swap in May. My job is roughly 5 hours north of where I live and the car is back home until next week. I am finally slowing down with my job as the school semester is starting and I am planning on starting it this coming weekend. I want to put a 420g into my 740il and have mostly everything (I think) that I need for the job. I am concerned with the clutch that I have as well as any other parts anyone can name off the top of their head.

Here is a message I sent to a very helpful forum mod with hopes that someone will be able to come up with an answer soon so that I can order anything else necessary and not have to wait on parts to arrive in order to continue:

"...I am going to swap my automatic transmission out of my e32 and replace it with a 420g from an e39. I have mostly everything purchased and ready to go, but I just thought of the issue that may arise with my flywheel. I bought a single mass flywheel from TTV racing in the UK and wanted to know if a normal 265mm clutch from a dual mass setup would run normally in that combination? I have read that the dampening springs could hold me up but I figured I would ask you to be certain...."

I have attached an image of a parts list of things that I currently have (excuse the names as these and the order numbers were meant to keep track of where I obtained what I have). The lower section is parts that I have not yet sourced. (Waiting to take measurements to lengthen the driveshaft once the 6 speed is in the car).

Any input would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first transmission swap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Normally If it’s a single mass flywheel it’s the same thickness as the oem flywheel. But I’m not sure for this “race brand” flywheel you purchased. You should contact the company that makes the flywheel. Also I used Carolina drive shaft to modify mine, I left the rear section alone and modified the front. I have a short wheel base so your rear section is going to be longer. Also for the wood that goes in the shifter area you can use one from an e34 to fit, the leather console is thicker so you need to trim down the edges of the wood
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    1994 740il, 1995 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    Normally If it’s a single mass flywheel it’s the same thickness as the oem flywheel. But I’m not sure for this “race brand” flywheel you purchased. You should contact the company that makes the flywheel. Also I used Carolina drive shaft to modify mine, I left the rear section alone and modified the front. I have a short wheel base so your rear section is going to be longer. Also for the wood that goes in the shifter area you can use one from an e34 to fit, the leather console is thicker so you need to trim down the edges of the wood
    Thanks for the input!

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Awesome, you are at the same point I am with an e32 740il manual swap! I'm also in the process of acquiring all the parts and hardware I need for the conversion. I was trying to use the e31 v12 280mm flywheel and clutch (which is a single mass with a sprung clutch), but the 850csi clutch is NLA so I scrapped that plan. I didn't want to use the stock m60 dual mass flywheel so I started digging into every alternative option. I was set on using a single mass 265mm but since the stock 540 had a dual mass flywheel the 265mm clutch is not sprung, which gave me concerns for rattle and harsh engagement paired with the single mass flywheel. Unfortunately most aftermarket m60 single mass flywheels are way too light. The heaviest I found was the 265mm TTV, which is still 16 some pounds lighter than the OEM flywheel.

I gambled and went with the 265mm TTV flywheel and stock (unsprung) 265mm clutch that you did. I won't being doing my swap for a couple months but when I do I'm hoping the unsprung clutch paired with a single mass flywheel doesn't severely hurt drive-ability.

I've (almost) gathered every part I need for the swap. Like you, I still need the leather shift boot and the manual shift surround wood trim. I also need to send my driveshaft out to have the front shaft lengthened, but I'm going to wait on doing that until I have the 5hp30 out and can measure the length difference from the 420g.

My Cars
    '88 750iL, '01 530iT
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    Awesome, you are at the same point I am with an e32 740il manual swap! I'm also in the process of acquiring all the parts and hardware I need for the conversion. I was trying to use the e31 v12 280mm flywheel and clutch (which is a single mass with a sprung clutch), but the 850csi clutch is NLA so I scrapped that plan. I didn't want to use the stock m60 dual mass flywheel so I started digging into every alternative option. I was set on using a single mass 265mm but since the stock 540 had a dual mass flywheel the 265mm clutch is not sprung, which gave me concerns for rattle and harsh engagement paired with the single mass flywheel. Unfortunately most aftermarket m60 single mass flywheels are way too light. The heaviest I found was the 265mm TTV, which is still 16 some pounds lighter than the OEM flywheel.

I gambled and went with the 265mm TTV flywheel and stock (unsprung) 265mm clutch that you did. I won't being doing my swap for a couple months but when I do I'm hoping the unsprung clutch paired with a single mass flywheel doesn't severely hurt drive-ability.

I've (almost) gathered every part I need for the swap. Like you, I still need the leather shift boot and the manual shift surround wood trim. I also need to send my driveshaft out to have the front shaft lengthened, but I'm going to wait on doing that until I have the 5hp30 out and can measure the length difference from the 420g.
    I'm following this thread with interest as I'm embarking on a similar journey with my M70. Probably going to use a GS6-53DZ from a E60 530D, as 420g gearboxes are hard to find here.
    Just in case it helps, the E32 and E34 manual shift surrounds are interchangeable (bearing in mind the ASC/EDC switch cut out if fitted). I also managed to fit a leather shift boot left over from one of my E28's to the E34 piece.

Will probably go with this lot for the important bits and pieces: http://www.pmcmotorsport.com/44,adap...w-m70-m73.html
    1988 E32 BMW 750iL Bronzitbeige "....4372381"
    2001 E39 BMW 530i Sport touring Cosmosschwarz "....GL80561"

My Cars
    1994 740il, 1995 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Zej View Post
    I'm following this thread with interest as I'm embarking on a similar journey with my M70.[/url]
    Not sure the dimensional difference between the m60 and m70 but there are adapter kits to run an LS style trans. Not sure the quality though but its a thought in case you cant source a 420g