RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E36 Rear Subframe R & R

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5

E36 Rear Subframe R & R

As I work my way through the continuous "honey-do" list that my 1997 M3/4 car throws out, I'm fine with all of it, since I really can't think of anything I'd rather have (within reason). The one item that concerns me is the detereioration of my rear subframe mounts. I look at them whenever my car is up on a lift, and they're crumbled around the edges. I can only imagine what's going on inside the mounts. I figure that would be a damning failure. Then I'd have to buy my E90M mid life car and start to hemorrhage cash on rod bearings and throttle actuators.

What is the best solution to remedy this? Are there specialty shops that do larger scale suspension refurbs like this?

I need to clean up my sig file. I'm at 174k. Still relatively young, I know. But I say that about myself, and my friends are starting to have "cardiac issues."

Marc
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Are you talking about the rubber bushings or the actual steel of the subframe deteriorating?

Garagistic sells reinforced and powdercoated subframes if you want to replace the subframe. If your subframe is ok and you just need to do bushings and other similar items, it's simply a matter of dropping the entire rear suspension as a unit and then addressing whatever needs to be addressed. It's heavy, but not terribly complicated.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    yup, agreed - i've done several for track friends and such as part of refresh or track builds. having access to a lift makes things much easier. it's really a straight forward project, but the real issue is scope creep. it's easy to start doing a bunch of "while i'm there" work. here in my area, we have a couple of shops that will do subframe R&R - i'm sure there are some in your part of the world. bimmerworld comes to mind but that might be pricey. it's definitely a diy project for anyone that has worked on an e36 more than a few times, but being able to put the car in the air makes it much easier.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Marc, please know that I'm not looking for business. I have more work than I can handle right now, and unfortunately, too much of it involves Audis and Saabs. That said, if you want to make a drive, I've done a number of E36 subframes/rear suspensions. I will, of course, look after your car....but I am not in any way involved with the money.

OR, MarcoZandrini (I'll give you his real name by email or PM) is in your area. You should ask him for a good local shop.

If you do the subframe and rear suspension bushings and ball joints, I highly recommend you do it all together, and make any improvements you desire at the same time. .

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Marc, Road Race Tech is the go to shop out near Dulles. I use them for suspension work and alignments. They are top notch for that. For all other stuff I can’t handle I go to J&F Motors in Shirlington (south Arlington). I’ve been taking my bimmers to them for almost 30 years. Great shop.