Thread: What color is the canbus wire? (Steering controls wiring)

My Cars
    '95 740i

What color is the canbus wire? (Steering controls wiring)

Ive found different opinions and hope someone here can simply clarify:

I want to hook up my android unit to read the steering controls, comes with one of those decoder boxes that says to just hook to canbus wire.

Some people say its blue. . some purple. . .some white and orange.

I have all of those heh.. I use the solid white for "ant" to tell the amps when to turn on. Power is green and red.
    Gnd is brown.
    Purple white is acc on.
    Grey and red is illumination control.

The colors left are:

White with yellow dashes (seems like that would be the one)

White with black stripe . . or vice versa.

White with brown stripe. . or vice versa.

Anyone know how to hook it up?

Thanks guys

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    The can bus? There is a high and low but I don't think it's going to help with you are trying to do. The I-bus would be two colors with third color for the dashes. Is it white/gray with yellow dashes? If so, that's the I-bus.

The CAN-bus (Controller Area Network) is an antenna bus system, in which all connected stations are equally entitled, i.e. each control module can both send as well as receive. In other words, the connected control modules can "communicate" and exchange information via the lines.
    Due to the linear structure of the network, the bus system is fully available for all other stations in the event of one station failing. The connection consists of two data links (CAN-L and CAN-H) which are protected against interference by shielding (CAN-S).
    At present, the control modules adaptive transmission control AGS, digital motor electronics DME, electronic throttle control EML and dynamic stability control DSC are interconnected with this system.
    The connected control modules must all have the same CAN status. The CAN status can be checked via the diagnosis interface. The CAN status (bus index) is specified on the identification of the relevant control module connected to the CAN-bus.
    A large number of information items such as CAN statuses or operating variables such as engine speed and temperature, are exchanged between the control modules via the CAN-bus.

Instrumentation bus (I-bus)

The instrumentation bus (I-bus) in the E38 is, in thesame way as the diagnosis bus (D-bus), the body bus (K-bus) andthe peripheral bus (P-bus), a serial data linkbetween control units.
    The connected control units exchange informationvia the I-bus, e.g. sensor values orlamp status.
    Design and function of the I-bus

The following control units can be connected to the I-bus:

• VID: On-board monitor (with video module)
    • BMB: On-board monitor operating unit
    • CCM: Check-control module (CCM)
      installed as separate control unit only up to 9/95.
    • DSP: Digital sound processor amplifier and control panel
    • IKE: Instrument cluster electronics
    • LM: Light module
      installed as separate control unit only up to 9/95.
    • LCM: Light check-control module, installed as of 9/95
      The light check-control module features the functions of the light module and of the check-control module in one control unit.
    • MID: Multi-information display
    • FID: Multi-information display, rear compartment
    • MFL: Multifunction steering wheel
    • NAJ: Navigation, Japan
      Distinction:
      The Japan navigation system is connected to the I-bus and is therefore included in the I-bus test. However, the Japan navigation system is only installed in Japan vehicles.
      The Philips navigation system (NAV) is not connected directly to the I-bus and is addressed via the video module. It is therefore not included in the I-bus test.
    • PDC: Park distance control
    • RAD: Radio
    • TEL: In-car cellular telephone (with eject box)

Identification features of some I-bus control units

The multifunction steering wheel is recognized by radio or telephone operation on the steering wheel.
    The park distance control can be identified bythe ultrasonic distance sensors in the bumpers.
    The check-control module (CCM) and the light module (LM) are installed as 2 separate control units only up to 9/95. As of 9/95, both control units are combined in the light check-control module (LCM).
    Function of the I-bus

The functional principle of the I-bus is comparable to that of a telephone conference circuit. All participants are interconnected via the I-bus. Every participant can both receive as well as transmit messages via the I-bus.
    The I-bus is designed as a single-wire bus system, i.e. the I-bus is a wire system which is used to transmit and receive messages.
    The high data transfer rate on the I-bus (approx. 10,000 bit/sec) enables distribution of messages between the control units virtually without delay.
    Diagnosis with I-bus control units

DIS diagnosis telegrams are sent to the electronic instrument cluster via the diagnosis bus (D-bus). From the electronic instrument cluster (IKE) the diagnosis telegrams are routed to I-bus control units. The response telegrams of the I-bus control units are sent back also via the IKE to the DIS.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks for all of that, I've read so many conflicting things.

Basically any aftermarket radio has a sort of tap that intercepts the steering wheel controls and you can assign them to whatever function you want on the head unit. For the BMW units there's always a bus decoder that you wire in, and I'm trying to figure out which wires it wants based on my '95 with DSP wiring.

There are members here who have done it, so I'm hoping they can clarify =)

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Radio stuff (including steering wheel radio controls) uses I-Bus. White wire with grey stripe and yellow dots. On your 95 the I-Bus connection would go to the MFL module rather than directly through the slip ring to the steering wheel. I-Bus splices (identified by the same wire color) can also be found everywhere throughout the car if it's more convenient to wire elsewhere.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    White with yellow dots - probably the one I see just didn't notice the grey!

I've only just NOW read about the separate MFL module, haha so many changes in so many ways EACH YEAR with these cars that you otherwise would have no idea about. It's incredible.

I'll try that i-bus wire tomorrow, thanks a lot for confirming psjr!

What I understand I have to do is hook my, "key1" or "key2" wire to the ibus line, then the radio uses that compared to ground to figure out the different buttons. Although I think I have that wrong, from what I've seen in other installations is people hook in to their "steering wheel controls" WIRE. . . and it reads the different resistances as different button presses - looks like we have more than just one.

Eugh all so complicated without the know-how. It's extremely straight-forward and simple, I just don't know the wires and don't know how the radio wants the car to talk to it. Eugh!

My Cars
    2002 x5, 2m, x5m,slk230

Hello ... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    White with yellow dots - probably the one I see just didn't notice the grey!

I've only just NOW read about the separate MFL module, haha so many changes in so many ways EACH YEAR with these cars that you otherwise would have no idea about. It's incredible.

I'll try that i-bus wire tomorrow, thanks a lot for confirming psjr!

What I understand I have to do is hook my, "key1" or "key2" wire to the ibus line, then the radio uses that compared to ground to figure out the different buttons. Although I think I have that wrong, from what I've seen in other installations is people hook in to their "steering wheel controls" WIRE. . . and it reads the different resistances as different button presses - looks like we have more than just one.

Eugh all so complicated without the know-how. It's extremely straight-forward and simple, I just don't know the wires and don't know how the radio wants the car to talk to it. Eugh!

Did you ever figure this out ? Where does key1 and key2 go? It is like some grand secret.