Thread: Front brake warning lights won't go away after changing pads and sensor

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i xDrive

Front brake warning lights won't go away after changing pads and sensor

I have a 2011 BMW X3 XDrive 28i and I recently replaced my front brake pads and wear sensor after the warning lights came on and indicated that its time for replacement. I initially purchased a cheap Chinese brake sensor on eBay, however after the brake warning light did not turn off after replacing the sensor. I assumed that the sensor must be bad so I purchased a Duralast brake sensor from Autozone, which also failed to turn the warning light off. I read somewhere in the forums that if I connect the two sensor wires together, it will trick the car and the light will go away, however that didn't work either.

I called my local BMW service department and they told me that the light should go away on its own as soon as I replace the sensor, and if it doesn't then "something else" is wrong and I have to take my car in. He wouldn't tell me what could be wrong so I figured they are just trying to charge me for running a diagnostic test, which I could have done myself and so I did. I ran ISTA rheingold on my car and the only error code that it gives me is front brake error, and i'm wasn't able to clear the fault code.

So I finally purchased a BMW OEM brake sensor, thinking that my problem will go away after installing it, but NO the brake light remains on and I can recent it because it says "reset impossible".

This task shouldn't be difficult and its driving me insane!!! Anyone knows how to fix this stupid thing??

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    not sure about the newer BMW's for this procedure, but the older cars would reset the light when the key was placed into the on position without starting for a minute. Give it a try and let us know.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    You need to reset it in the “service” settings with a scanner . For instance like resetting brake fluid flush, The dealer is wrong it won’t go away on its own i have no idea why they said that.

suggestion, call an independent bmw specialty shop or German repair shop and they should be able to do it with any modern scanner
    Last edited by e30luv318i; 08-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe, F25 35i
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvk7VXZlznk

- - - Updated - - -

The process is different for CIC vs CCC. Too many CCC vids crowding up youtube but hopefully that fixes your issues. I reset my lights\ with a new sensor and the process in the video.

Gone But Not Forgotten: 1999 Tit. Silver 323i, 2001 Schwartz 330ci, 2005 Imola ZHP Vert

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i xDrive
    Thanks for the video, unfortunately I can't reset it this way because it keeps telling me "Reset Impossible". I also tried keeping the car on the 'on' position for 1 minute as somebody else suggested and that didn't work either.
    What exactly do you mean by process is different for CIC vs CCC? Could you please elaborate?

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe, F25 35i
    Wow that's weird. Hate to hear it's giving you so much trouble.
    CCC is the previous gen iDrive system that was made until 2008-2009. CIC is the newer iDrive system made until 2012 or so when NBT replaced it. Resetting maintenance lights is different on each.

Gone But Not Forgotten: 1999 Tit. Silver 323i, 2001 Schwartz 330ci, 2005 Imola ZHP Vert