My Cars
    2001 750iL

Any BMW Severe Duty Recommended Maintenance?

I own a diesel Ford Excursion and know there are recommended maintenance items for a truck that sees severe duty. Has anyone seen any severe duty maintenance intervals/items for an X5 from BMW?

What got me thinking of this is all the flooding lately. So for people that are forced to drive through flooded streets, etc. are there recommendations for changing trans and axle fluids or repacking bearings, etc. for making sure there isn't any water trapped that may have made it past the seals?

I realize it may be a common sense thing but wondered if there was anything official from BMW. Any personal experience or stories to share as well?
    2005 X5 4.8is (DD winter) * 2001 750iL (DD summer) * 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 L <> 2005 X5 3.0 * 2003 X5 4.4i * 2009 X3 3.0 * 2009 X5 3.0 * 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    After doing a bit more searching I was unable to find anything manufacturer specific. But found this general discussion from offroaders.com...

"Maintenance after Water-crossings

After encountering a water crossing you want to be sure to inspect specific things that could be affected by the water. Any time you encounter a water crossing that is axle depth or deeper, check the differential oil for water contamination. Even if you have an extended differential breathers, this is not a guarantee that water has not entered the differential. If you do not have differential breathers this should mean a mandatory inspection. Even though the best time to check the differentials for water is right after the crossing, most of the time, people will not check it right there and will continue wheeling the rest of the day. However checking the differential fluid is relatively easy to do. Since water is heavier than your gear oil oil, it will collect at the lowest point in the differential, at the drain plug. To properly inspect it after a crossing allowing time for your axles vehicle to cool a bit, then loosen the drain bolt and run a small amount of the gear oil into a glass or cup. You'll see water if it's present. Also a milky or chocolate milk colored oil indicates water is present. If you're unlucky enough to have water present in your gear oil, the differential oil should be drained and replaced. Driving your vehicle for any distance with water mixed with the gear oil can damage your ring and pinion. If you had taken on water in the differential and have to drive out, allow the axle to cool for a while and attempt to drain as much water as possibly without draining any larger quantity of gear oil. Collect this oil and water mixture in a container and save it until you get home, then dispose of it properly. Never dispose of oil into the environment.
    Aside from the axle differentials your gearbox, transfer case and engine oil can all become contaminated by water. These however usually only take on water when a vehicle is stationary in deeper water. Also check other electrical items such as your electric winch. Winches typically are not used for extended periods of time but when they are needed, they may have been damaged or may have seized due to the water exposure. Periodic maintenance and testing should be part of your routine anyway. After a water crossing give the winch a quick test of it's operation.
    Water crossing should be taken seriously. Water has the potential to do expensive damage to your vehicle's engine and drive train. But with proper preparation and post inspection and maintenance, the challenge of a water crossing can be as enjoyable as any other offroad challenge."
    2005 X5 4.8is (DD winter) * 2001 750iL (DD summer) * 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 L <> 2005 X5 3.0 * 2003 X5 4.4i * 2009 X3 3.0 * 2009 X5 3.0 * 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited