Thread: How fixable is this rust? I already have the quarterpanel.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is

How fixable is this rust? I already have the quarterpanel.

When I bought the car the side of it was duct taped off, but the PO gave me a new quarterpanel that wasnt put on. I plan on getting estimates when I get home.

Rust.JPG
    I dont really know anything about rust fixing, but its a lot worse than I expected under the tape. It looks like the quarterpanel ends right before the door though, so are shops going to be able to get the rust under the door/in the door jambs? Any idea roughly how much this is gonna cost or if its even doable? Here is a closeup of the part im extraconcerned about
    Rust 2.JPG
    I dont know how quickly this is progressing but I wanna get this done as soon as possible when I get home. Any advice is much appreciated guys. Thanks.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Anything is possible - its more about the amount of money involved - how much you want to spend.

The second pic shows the rust is beyond the quarter panel and you will need to look underneath to see the extent.

Rust never sleeps and in Pennsylvania - its a losing battle. If it is too bad - use it as a parts car and find one from down south to build upon.

One other option is just to drive it until you get sick of it - get your fun out of it and then part it out.

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    That's pretty nasty rust you got there. You could cut and weld the quarter panel you have or pay someone to do so but it likely won't be cheap. I got some pretty nutty estimates when I took my old rusty E21 to see how much they would charge to do it.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    That's more than the quarter panel! But you need to start by cutting out that area and see where it goes. Fix it right, or don't fix it!
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is

How fixable is this rust? I already have the quarterpanel.

Well, the good news is not paying for the quarter panel should take a small chunk out of it. I probably wouldn’t have bought the car if I was smart enough to actually check how extensive the rust is. As far as I know know there isn’t any under the car. I’ve put too much money and time into this car to part it out.
    I’m not bringing the car to college with me next year though so it’ll only see use in the summer, and I drive my brothers car to school in the winter to keep it away from any more salt. Hopefully if I put what little savings I have into fixing the rust, by the time I’m out of college, being a 318is, it’ll be worth enough to make up for it lol. I guess we’ll see when I get some estimates. I’ll update this as I go. Thanks for the advice so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bairdogg; 08-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    If you have that on the car I'd be worried what the rest of it looks like.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Never put your hope into your car being worth tons of money in the future.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    It genuinely is just this quarterpanel. I think one of the PO's had it repainted and they did a shitty job, maybe moisture was trapped under the paint and caused this rust. They sprayed foam insulation into the wheel well in the trunk to try to stop the rust or something and I think thats why the quarterpanel is so rusty. Everything else is fairly clean (paintjob is shit but I want to get it repainted after I fix the quarterpanel anyway). Theres also a small rust spot near the trunk in like the gap between the trunk gasket and the body work (i'm having a tough time explaining this if you cant tell) that I plan on having patched, but besides that it really is a clean car. Underside is rust free as far as I can tell, having been under there a few times. I can get pics when I get home if anyone actually cares.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    Never put your hope into your car being worth tons of money in the future.
    Good advice. My point was I'm not planning selling the car any time soon regardless, so hopefully in 5-10 years when I actually decide to sell the car maybe it'll have appreciated a decent amount? Who knows, if everyone loses interest in e30's by then, well, what am I gonna do about it lol

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I am glad you want to fix her. I hate to see when e30s are just dogged and dumped or let rot away. I try to save them, also. I am trying to talk my wife into a 4th one right now but she is not going for it since we 6 cars in the driveway and only 4 are in running condition. so, I totally understand the desire to get it back up to shape
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    There are multiple layers of structural steel inside the rocker sill that are rotted away, this is soo soo much more than just the quarter panel skin.

I would not waste time repairing something like this unless the car was a special model or limited production numbered edition.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    There are multiple layers of structural steel inside the rocker sill that are rotted away, this is soo soo much more than just the quarter panel skin.

I would not waste time repairing something like this unless the car was a special model or limited production numbered edition.
    Ah, fuck

Gonna do everything I can to get it fixed, but I may not be able to afford it. I’ve put a lot of time and money into just getting the car running from how I bought it, sucks to hear that.

Assuming the estimates are gonna be too much to pay, what can I do to stop the rust from progressing until I win the lottery?

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    You can clean it up (remove the rust) and use some POR-15 to slow it down.

You have some options:

Sell it - take a loss, get out and lesson learned.

Drive it - and don't worry about the rust - (just make sure its not structural - take it to a pro and make sure he states its safe to drive)

Wait till another body becomes available - move your good parts over and then part it out - this minimizes your cash loss.

Befriend someone with a welder and patch it - it wont be awesome - but you'll learn how to weld..

Dont sweat it.. Rust never sleeps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLsQsirjmeo

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    It isn't that it isn't fixable, its just not really worth it IMO when rust free examples are still readily available.

One of the factory panels you need to repair that is NLA, so your best bet is getting the entire cut from a clean southern car and grafting it onto your car. The carpet and interior is going to need to come up and away from that area to weld it all in, and I'd expect any legitimate body shop to charge several thousand for the work done amicably.

You need at a minimum:

41111913088, right side inner member
    41351935898, right side outeside covering (NLA)
    41111935854, right side stiffening member
    41351945820, right side lower section of quarter panel (NLA)

This repair is much easier to complete with new sheet metal that isn't painted or covered in undercoat, cavity wax, and spot welded together in eleventy million places. The lower quarter part can be removed from the larger quarter panel part you already said you have so thats fine.

Regardless the work needs to extend forward to the first vertical seam in the rocker panel at the front of the door opening, almost to the fender.

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by 95BMWIC View Post
    Befriend someone with a welder and patch it - it wont be awesome - but you'll learn how to weld..
    I might be able to call in a favor with a neighbor that welds, granted he does industrial stuff. I’m not exactly sure on what needs to be done though. Do you mean patching up the rust under the quarter panel and then replacing the quarter panel above it?

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    You need at a minimum:

41111913088, right side inner member
    41351935898, right side outeside covering (NLA)
    41111935854, right side stiffening member
    41351945820, right side lower section of quarter panel (NLA)
    It seems like these are available online still, for about $600 total, would the work just entail cutting out the old pieces and welding in the new ones? Apologies for the ignorance, I’m way out of my element here. Truly appreciate all the advice so far

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairdogg View Post
    I might be able to call in a favor with a neighbor that welds, granted he does industrial stuff. I’m not exactly sure on what needs to be done though. Do you mean patching up the rust under the quarter panel and then replacing the quarter panel above it?

Stuck's answer is the proper way - he's giving you the part numbers that correspond to the formed sheet metal that you need to order to repair - you can order the sheet metal from places like ECS tuning or Pelican Parts..

My answer is more of the "Roadkill" approach (google it). You cant weld to rust - so you have to cut it out and patch with new metal. The main goal is to make it functional. It looks like you have to remove the quarter and rebox the rusted away area up to / through the rocker panel. It sounds like money is an issue - so a professional is out (plus I agree it wouldn't make sense to have a pro do it as you could just buy another body a lot cheaper) - that is why I am suggesting patches to shore it up. It already looks like crap so who cares - clean it, remove the bad, patch in clean new metal - slap the quarter over it.. Drive it.

I did this with my Fiat - I bought some metal sheets from a fab company - cut out the rust, formed the new metal with a hammer to fit and welded in the new metal.. I wouldn't win a prize for my welds - but they are improving as I continue to practice.

Goal is to keep it on the road - When you get money, buy one that doesn't have rot and transfer over the good stuff later..

Read through this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-318IS-revival - you can see how this guy dealt with rust..

Also - I need to point out Stuck has built one of the most beautiful E30's I have ever seen.. His build thread is around here somewhere (not sure why its not in his sig)? So heed his advice..

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Sorry for the late reply, been super busy. I really appreciate the advice, and I think my best option is basically exactly what you said. I actually saw that thread a few weeks ago, his rust treatment gives me hope.

As for Stucks build thread, I was hoping someone would show up with it... any idea how I can find it? Curious whether or not I’ve already seen it

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Drink a beer and relax while viewing..

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ern-drivetrain

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    That was the last one I did, this is the current build in progress: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413429