Thread: Using 16” wheels for winter on a Z3 3.0i?

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0

Using 16” wheels for winter on a Z3 3.0i?

I’ve just moved to the Pacific Northwest and it does snow here - enough that the steamroller 17” standard staggered wheels and tires may be far too slick to be safe. I’d like to pick up some 16” wheels and use winter tires. I figure there should be no problem with doing that. The car is stock. There shouldn’t be any steering geometry issues, brake clearance problems, or ground clearance. The 16” tires should have the same outside diameter as the 17”, just more side wall and narrower. Me thinks I am probably overthinking this

So, has anyone had issues with using stock 16” wheels for winter on a 2.8 or 3.0? Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Yeah, you're over thinking it. I use my stock 16's as winter shoes. I've even used them with R-compounds on the track. The only difference I can feel is that the car rides and handles more like a typical sedan, rather than the 'sports car' feel of the 17's
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    Thanks Daven. Now I just need to shop around. I also have to see if studded tires are legal in town. I have to pull some hills and ice could pose a problem. Having just winter tread may not be enough.

I was going to just pick up an old Jeep, Rav4, Subaru, or something as a winter beater, but a cheap set of 16s and some winter tires would be far less expensive. At least they don’t drop salt here, so my nearly pristine CA car will not rust out quickly.

I’m a native SoCA guy and the only snowy winter driving I have done over the past 40 years is going up skiing for a few weeks a year. Mostly, the tarmac I drive on is dry as a bone. Now I have to learn better wet skills. I guess that’s why most roads here are 25 to 35 MPH. Rain, snow, and jumping deer. Locally, the snow is usually light (1 to 2”) and it melts in a day. It’s the once in a while storm that dumps 2 feet in a night I am worried about.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If you have brake clearance you're strait.
    I used 16" with Continental DWS All Seasons on my former 1.9L Z3.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Since R16 were on Z3 from factory, can't imagine any fitment issues. Good winter tires without studs will perform better in your 1-2" snow which melts in a day than studded tires unless you are driving mostly on snow/ice. Also studded ones will be noisy and they are slipping pretty much when braking on dry tarmac.