Thread: Couple Error Codes have me stumped>>>>

My Cars
    99 540i

Couple Error Codes have me stumped>>>>

HI.
    08 528Xi started running poorly so I did diagnostics and it gave me the 2D06 eror. I then replace MAF sensor. Minor improvement on running/idling but not right. So I pulled codes again and now get 2EF8 (map-controlled Therm) .

Before I got replacing anything, I was hoping to hear some opinions.

Could the Map controlled thermosat cause the idling/running issues?

Maybe it is sending info that makes the MAF not know correct info?

Any insight could help.

Thanks
    B

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    yes, believe it or not a faulty t-stat will signal the dme to do all sorts of strange things. I am not saying its your problem but I have seen this happen a t-stat will trip a air flow code and what not.

when in doubt change it out..... t-stat is easy as well is pump if done at same time. and I recommend both at same time....
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    99 540i
    OK, I replaced the T stat housing. This made the car run at normal temp. While I was at it, I replaced the valve cover gasket and fixed the oil leaks on the filter housing.

my only problem now comes back to the mass air system fault. If I erase the fault code, it will run ok for a while. If I turn off the car and restart, it comes back and runs really bad with multiple misfires etc... Which go away when I erase those codes and will drive fine till I restart again.

I have pulled, cleaned and tested the Vanos solenoids. No change. I will be checking again for a vacuum leak soon. I cant think of any other reason it could be running so bad and keep giving the mass air system error. Could it possibly be another bad maf sensor? I already relaced it with a Continental.??

Any help would be appreciated.
    thx

My Cars
    99 540i
    OK guys, I was organizing my tool box and was reminded that I have tried 3 MAF sensors now. The original one, a cheap one off amazon and then a Continental(like stock) sensor. All of these MAF sensors, when installed cause my car to run like crap and throw a mass air system error code.

Can anyone hazard a guess what else could cause this error? I need a list of ideas to chase after when I can get into my shop. Too cold out now, so I gotta get into the warm shop. I will try looking for a vacuum leak again.

B

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Vacuum leaks will cause intake air to bypass the MAF causing low MAF readings, which can cause MAF codes.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    What are you long and short term fuel trims?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 540i
    OK guys, Im not too smart! I decided to put the smoke machine on again just to be sure I don't have a vacuum leak. Well this time I left it on for over 5 minutes and just when I was about to shut it off, smoke appeared from behind the crank pulley! Then it dawned on me that looking back all my problems started when I blew the belt last summer. DUHH! Sure enough, I pulled the crank pulley and there was pieces of belt shoved right into the front crank seal!!!

So its all fixed now, and I even pressure washed the front of the motor since it was a mess. DIY this job is not bad, but be prepared to struggle to get the old seal out! I used 2 different BMW seal pullers and it would not budge. I had to chisel it out and be as careful as possible to not damage the surfaces. Real PITA, but all fixed and car runs good again.