Thread: Idle Control Module Issue

My Cars
    1987 325e

Idle Control Module Issue

Hello. My name is Jake and I have recently bought a 1987 325e automatic 2 door and when I figure out how to add a picture I will! It is in pretty good shape body and engine wise. Its running rich but I think the AFM has been tampered with a bit. There is a lot of the common issues that I plan on fixing like broken odometer gears and cracked dash etc. Ive also got a idle problem that isn't so common and is driving me nuts and I cant find enough info.

So I have the motronic 1.0 system in my car and this includes the idle control module by the DME. I have done as much looking as I can and ruled out a lot of issues. I bought a new idle control valve it works when power is applied as well as reading 10 ohms(its a 2 prong ICV) The old one that came with the car was a bit different and is only cracked enough to idle at about 700 rpm when disconmected. When I got the car going (usually with holding the accelerator down a bit) it idled very stable at 700 so I dont believe I have a vaccuum issue either. TPS is good as well.

Since this car has a idle control modue I have done the tests on it and the only thing I have found was that while the key is in the on position I should be seeing 12 volts but instead I see 0.01 volts across pins 2 and 4 as well as 0.01 volts at pins 1 and 5 the ICV ouptut. I had the unit opened up and looked it over, 3 connections had to be resoldered which was done and I was still only seeing 0.01 volts. Now since I cant find enough info I am stuck. Could it still be the unit which I do have another one coming eventually or could it be a relay or something else?

I would greatly appreciate the help!
    Thanks,
    Jake

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Well it sounds like you know your way around electrical. Go get the ETM for your car at http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    Well it sounds like you know your way around electrical. Go get the ETM for your car at http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    Thanks I'll have a look at that!

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    Probably the best end-to-end, all in one place, idle trouble shooting site that I found is here: http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml And, of course, a professional smoke test is always a good start.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
    Probably the best end-to-end, all in one place, idle trouble shooting site that I found is here: http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml And, of course, a professional smoke test is always a good start.
    So as an update I have done a lot of work on the car unrelated to the idle issue the past couple days. Spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, valve cover gasket odometer gears as well as a new airflow meter. These were all old and needed to be replaced.

Now for the idle issue. I did end up fixing the issue and it is running perefectly there was never any vacuum leaks to worry about its actually idling a bit low around 650 rpm ill have to see about bumping that up.

I looked over the fuse box quite well and I guess there was a fuse blown which ended up solving the no power to the idle control module issue. From there when the ICV was disconnected pins 1 and 5 were showing 12 volts but as soon as the ICV was connected the volts dropped to 0. I thoroughly looked over the inputs to the unit the AC was actually still sending a 12v signal even though the compressor is gone (PO must have done that) and the switch isnt pressed in so thats weird. Still didnt solve the issue so I took appart the idle control module again and found another loose wire to a 220 ohm resistor, soldered that plugged it in and it now works great!

Thanks for the help with the links it helped a lot too, Now to replace the windshield wiper linkage...

Jake

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Also a pic of my car.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Pic isn't showing
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    Pic isn't showing
    Ok Ill try again later. I started the car up today and it was fine at 700 rpm then I started driving and put it in park and now its running very steady at 1500 rpm about 900 rpm in drive. When I start it up the revs start at 900 and climb to 1500 and stay there still very steady so I have no idea whats going on now...its running pretty rich this way as well. I wonder if its anything to do with the new air flow meter.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the car feels pretty powerless now

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Maybe vacuum leaks? Check if the throttle cable is set right and not holding the throttle plate open
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    Maybe vacuum leaks? Check if the throttle cable is set right and not holding the throttle plate open
    I checked the throttle its set where it should be its barely cracked I backed it off until it was closed and it didnt change anything. Did half a turn on the ICV and it helped a bit got it back to where it was at 700 rpm. Ill see when I drive it next. Ill eventually get a smoke test done eventually but I dont believe it to be an issue.