Thread: Front wheel bearings

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)

Front wheel bearings

I've got a bit of a noise when cornering and I was hoping it was the brakes or shields but it seems not.
    I was trying to find a part number or something for the bearings but it seems they are only sold as hub assemblies, is that right? Seems pretty strange as reading old threads here it has been said the inner race is often stuck on the stub axles so they seem a normal 2 part bearing. I can't see why they would be something special not available as a bearing.

I'm pretty use to pressed in front bearings (older aussie ford falcons had the bearing in the brake rotor, so every time you need a new rotor you just replaced the bearing as a normal part of the job.) It's no hard to pull off or punch out bearing races. I used to be in HVAC so I've got bearing tools and I have been to plenty of local 3 letter bearing shops so I know where I could go if I had a bearing model - all the big name bearing brands are in my city.

So is there a part number for bearings that anyone knows? Maybe I could get one from a bearing shop here rather than order complete hubs from the USA (or a local dealer and pay $$$).
    Or maybe no one does this because something makes it unusually difficult to fit? It just seems weird when it was normal to do in older or other cars. Looking for people who change their own bearings and if not I guess I'll have to pay for extra weight in shipping for whole hubs I guess. E: and hope I get the proper abs ring sizes
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 08:18 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The bearing industry uses fairly consistent numbering. Given the number on the existing bearing any industrial supply house(or Google) ought to be able to X ref for you.

IF you do buy hub assy be sure to get the correct one. A change was made 3/91 to a "symmetrical" hub. Meaning the screw hole for the rotor retaining bolt is in line with, directly across from one of the wheel bolt holes.
    see here ;https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0196
    Last edited by ross1; 08-14-2018 at 09:19 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Thanks for the tip, I noticed that in realoem too, as well as abs tone ring sizes when searching through older forum posts.
    The biggest pain is my e34 is going to be a daily for a while as my other car is off the road so I can't pull my hubs apart for a bearing number yet. I'm about to order a 5mm hex impact 1/2" socket for the rotor and a 42mm socket for the stub axles nuts and wanted to order the bearing or hub at the same time.

I've searched local general bearing suppliers for automotive and they have listed kit # but not bearing number or brand. I'm going to have to call them tomorrow and see if they're available and what bearing brands they are. Trade shops here don't really list inventory detail at all - they hardly list any detail - industry is all phone and pencil still here.

So far I've got Z-576681.26 off ebay photos but I don't trust them. The website for the local kit doesn't mention bearing number (or brand), maybe I can get something out of them but if not I need some more concrete info on the bearing number.
    I'm trying to order parts around the same time as the tools (hex impact and 42mm socket) so that everything gets here about the same time.
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 10:04 AM.

My Cars
    1992 525it
    Realoem says my 92 525i uses a 46mm collar nut, and when I tried to use a 44mm loaner socket to remove mine, the nut was definitely larger than that socket. Check to make certain before buying that 42mm socket that it is the correct size for your application.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Yeah, that was a typo sorry. 46mm or 1-13/16"
    got it mixed up because I need to buy a 52mm socket for something else - flywheel for another car.
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 12:35 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    It's a 2-part bearing like normal, but what's special is that the outer race *is* the hub surface; they are the same piece of metal. To use an off-the-shelf bearing, you'd have to machine the hub to accept the generic bearing's outer race, if that's possible at all given thicknesses and safety and all (in short: forget it).
    Last edited by moroza; 08-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    It's a 2-part bearing like normal, but what's special is that the outer race *is* the hub surface; they are the same piece of metal. To use an off-the-shelf bearing, you'd have to machine the hub to accept the generic bearing's outer race, if that's possible at all given thicknesses and safety and all (in short: forget it).
    Oh wow, thanks. No wonder I couldn't find anything about it on BMW sites. Pretty weird design.
    I'll chase up that local bearing company lead - they advertised kits, with generic pics of hubs and nuts so maybe that was the only reason why it was the only lead I could find.
    I'll give them a call, they might have some gathering dust they want to get rid of. Otherwise if they are NLA there and the local dealer too (always worth a try I guess if for nothing else than to have a laugh).
    If no luck I'll put the oem hubs for $130ea on my next USA order I suppose.
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 02:13 PM.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    I have a front hub/ bearing! Used but no issues. If you need it Ill take $25 plus shipping.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Pair of those should fit in a USPS International Flat Rate Medium Box - $45-48 depending on how purchased. I once sent a pair of M30 exhaust manifolds in one of those to Australia. Took about a week?