Thread: M3 left me stranded... won't start. - solved

My Cars
    E36 M3's

M3 left me stranded... won't start. - solved

About two months ago I went to start my 95 after driving around in town for awhile and it wouldn't crank. Battery is good, even tried jumping. Zero starter impulse. It was however a very hot day. I went back in the morning and it fired up fine and has given me no issues since.
    Fast forward to today, it left me stranded in a parking lot. Again, zero starter impulse. I tried jumping and nothing. I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes, still nothing. What are the first things I should try before I have it towed?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Replaced fuse #46 which is one of the few that supplies the OBC. Oddly everything on the OBC appeared to be working. This car fired immediately.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    May have some relation with the immobilizer function of the OBC.
    Enter code
    In addition to electronic vehicle immobilization (refer to page 30), you can attain further engine immobilization or protection against tampering by entering a code into the onboard computer. A code number is used to arm the system. The code is then required for subsequent starting attempts. Always remember the code number.To set (ignition key in position 1): Press the keys in the sequence illustrated and then turn the ignition key into position 0 or remove the key.Code numbers from "0000" to "9999" can be entered. (You will have to reenter the code each time you activate the system).The LED lights up for up to 36 hours with the ignition key in position 0 or with the key removed. If the LED flashes for 10 seconds the engine hood has not been closed or the radio has been removed. To cancel with ignition key in position 1 or 2: A gong and the display "---- Code"request you to enter a code. Use entry keys to enter the code number. Press the SET/RES key. Start the engine.
    The system responds to attempts to start the vehicle using an incorrect code or no code at all by preventing the engine from starting.

http://www.e36.lt/docs/E36_Owners_Manual.pdf
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
    About two months ago I went to start my 95 after driving around in town for awhile and it wouldn't crank. Battery is good, even tried jumping. Zero starter impulse. It was however a very hot day. I went back in the morning and it fired up fine and has given me no issues since.
    Fast forward to today, it left me stranded in a parking lot. Again, zero starter impulse. I tried jumping and nothing. I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes, still nothing. What are the first things I should try before I have it towed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
    Replaced fuse #46 which is one of the few that supplies the OBC. Oddly everything on the OBC appeared to be working. This car fired immediately.
    Had you replaced the fuse when it wouldn't start two months ago? When the car started this time, it had cooled down? If the answers are NO and YES, seems like the heat/tired starter is the issue.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Give the starter a whack with whatever is around. If it starts, the problem is probably worn starter brushes making intermittent contact.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Had you replaced the fuse when it wouldn't start two months ago? When the car started this time, it had cooled down? If the answers are NO and YES, seems like the heat/tired starter is the issue.
    No, two months ago I did not replace the fuse and it started after cooling. The car was completely cooled off this time and yes I did try to start it before I replaced the fuse and it wouldn't. I am still a little worried I've got something else going on with the starter from the episode two months ago. If its a starter going bad or some electrical heat soak issue, It should present itself again soon I would think.. It's freaking HOT right now in Louisiana!