Thread: Exporting a vehicle out of Spain? What license plates to drive with?

My Cars
    2017 Tesla Model X

Exporting a vehicle out of Spain? What license plates to drive with?

I am considering buying a vehicle in Spain, but I need to be able to fly down, have a test ride, sign and pay, and drive it across Europe, to Norway. I have heard stories of export papers taking weeks, a seller of one vehicle claims that there are no export plates (like the German "red" export plates that are valid in EU), and that it cannot be driven with the spanish plates, whilst seller of another says I can just go with the spanish plates and papers will be taken care of afterwards. Any spanish guys in here that can shed some light to the process?

There are also questions on paying part of the amount in cash and part wire transfer, due to some spanish tax system. Anyone care to explain it to me?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    As a seller I never would accept to sell the car with my registration plates on the car and then the car would travel troughout Europe. Too many risks involved.
    My recommendation, involve a specialized company which does all the paper work and shipping to Norway by truck. Example http://www.despachocarrion.com/buyin...-to-export.php
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You are essentially asking for legal advice from a bunch of gear heads, most of whom are in another country. I would be inquiring with the authorities involved.
    Sounds like a nice road trip

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2017 Tesla Model X
    Well, I do know most are american in here, but I was hoping someone in Europe had imported or exported a car from Spain before.

I also found somewhere they claim there are "green" export license plates that can be bought in Spain, but it seems hard to find the necessary information.

Authorities, yes, but language is a major issue.

I am almost at the point where I hook a trailer onto my Model X and go for a proper road trip...

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I do not know where you live in Norway and where the car is in Spain, but google maps tells me it is roughly a round trip of 7000 km and about 100 hours travel time by car.
    Think about fuel cost, highway fees in France, Spain, language barriers with customs clearance and filling out forms for export and travelling thru various countries like France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark.
    Use a specialized car export company which does all the paper work and brings the car safely to Norway.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1982 BMW 318i
    I live in Spain and I´m selling my Volvo to a Dutch Company.

From what I have gatthered you only need to sign a private contract and give the vehicle papers (ficha técnica) to the buyer while the seller keeps the car´s driving permit (permiso de circulación) which will be presented for cancellation to the Spanish traffic authorities on the basis of a EU export. Then the buyer ask for the equivalent vehicle driving permit in his/her country. This way the car could only be transported in Spain on a truck.

If you want to drive it back home you´ll have to issue, the so called green plates, for the vehicle, allowing you to drive in Spain and to your country (UE only). Plates will only be valid for some months.

hope it helps some

My Cars
    Does the wire transfer involve any Nigerian princes?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician