Thread: Rear brake shoes replacement problem.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

Rear brake shoes replacement problem.

Hi all, 1995 525i 5SPD 279k

I replaced the shoes on the rear passenger wheel but, when I try to put on the rotor, the rotor fits very snug. I have the adjuster to the lowest setting and I loosened the cable nuts at the hand lever. I did notice the fastening spring by the adjuster is resting on the adjuster. Is that normal? Did I install it wrong? I followed the same pattern as the old installed shoes. I’m not sure what is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I think you've got it right. That adjuster does rest against the spring and it acts kind of like a detent so that you can adjust by one tooth at a time. The rotor may seem tight when you're pushing it on, but when it's all the way on it should be easy to turn. You may need to really wiggle everything around on the cable side in case there is some binding there or something like that.

Dude...you need new shocks. That rubber bushing at the bottom of the shock is in bad shape!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    Dude...you need new shocks. That rubber bushing at the bottom of the shock is in bad shape!
    I know. I'm slowly restoring the car but, I'm always bumping into a wall. It's frustrating. At first, my clutch fan was bad and I went through two clutch fans because they were bad, I couldn't get my front driver side wheel off because of a stripped bolt so, I had to replace the thrust arms with the wheel on. Then, I replaced the tie rods but, I stripped the bushing nut so, it took me three days to figure out how to get the nut off. Then, I replaced the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and that was the only job so far that went as planned. Then, my new rear rotors were making a scraping sound so, I took off the old brake shoes and hardware on the driver rear but, the actuator lock was dangling and it got mangled so, now I just ordered a new actuator lock an hour ago. Now I'm doing the passenger rear shoes and now it's the present day.

That's my luck. My whole life has been this way..

- - - Updated - - -

One day I will get to the rear bushings. I would like to get coilovers but, from research I will have to cut and weld the strut mount in order to throw on coilovers. They should make a modified knuckle so there's no cutting and welding in order to put on coilovers. My next project is replacing the lifters. All 24 of them.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I know how you feel, I just wrote out my latest shopping list which is getting kind of long and is going to cost me $$$ shipping from the US. I still haven't got around to interior and inprovements*, still working on steering and brakes. I've spent a lot on suspension, tyres, engine air and oil leaks - but I knew this going in. It's not painful it's just spending money on a hobby that I like to look at.

*I want a manual box and a b30 stroker but there's no manual m50s in australia. Wish I knew before buying a m50 - every e34 manual is a m20 or m30. Might have to go the whole hog and look at rb, jz or ford turbos and gearboxes. If there's no wrecking parts cars for gearboxes and tailshafts everything is going to be custom anyway.
    If I do find a bmw g/box, clutch, tailshaft and diff, then it's engine rebuild time with a m54b30 donor as well as lifters, cams, chains, guides and exhuast.
    Once I've finished with a drivetrain swap and interior work maybe I'll like to drive it as well

Anyway, is that adjuster wound in as far as it can go?
    E: I just read your have new rear rotors, so it can't be a worn and corroded lip like I posted earlier. What brand rotors did you get? I'm doing my rears next week and was looking at getting zimmermann ones
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 07:54 AM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    I know how you feel, I just wrote out my latest shopping list which is getting kind of long and is going to cost me $$$ shipping from the US. I still haven't got around to interior and inprovements*, still working on steering and brakes. I've spent a lot on suspension, tyres, engine air and oil leaks - but I knew this going in. It's not painful it's just spending money on a hobby that I like to look at.

*I want a manual box and a b30 stroker but there's no manual m50s in australia. Wish I knew before buying a m50 - every e34 manual is a m20 or m30. Might have to go the whole hog and look at rb, jz or ford turbos and gearboxes. If there's no wrecking parts cars for gearboxes and tailshafts everything is going to be custom anyway.
    If I do find a bmw g/box, clutch, tailshaft and diff, then it's engine rebuild time with a m54b30 donor as well as lifters, cams, chains, guides and exhuast.
    Once I've finished with a drivetrain swap and interior work maybe I'll like to drive it as well

Anyway, is that adjuster wound in as far as it can go?
    E: I just read your have new rear rotors, so it can't be a worn and corroded lip like I posted earlier. What brand rotors did you get? I'm doing my rears next week and was looking at getting zimmermann ones
    No manual M50s over there? That's very interesting...
    I'm on a tight budget with a family of 5 so, I can't buy high quality parts. My store is Ebay. LOL A lot of people put down EBay but, I've been successful with EBay parts (knock on wood!). I've purchased parts for my E34, Audi B6, and my Dodge 5.7l Hemi and never had issues with the parts. I bought 4 slotted rotors with pads and the pad sensors for 90.00 on Ebay. The rotors were all labels to each specific wheel, including the pads were labeled. The rotors are great!
    I also bought a hub adapter from Ebay. That worked perfectly! I bought a hub adapter that was 21mm spline size but, my spline was bigger. I found a chrome hub adapter that is 21.6mm and it fit perfect and only paid 45.00, in opposed to the #2008 MOMO adapter that is 90.00. I bought a 320mm racing wheel from guess where? That's right! Ebay! That fits perfect on the wheel adapter and it came with a BMW logo horn to match! That steering wheel was 24.00!
    I bought my thrust arms and tie rods form EBay! No problems so far. I bought a E36 cold air intake from EBay and that works great as well. I bought a performance chip from EBay for 23.00 and that works great as well..
    I bought my lifters from EBay and that's my next project. I bought my short throw shifter from EBay for 17.00 and that works great! I bought my Oil Filter Housing Gasket from EBay and no leaks. I bought my valve cover gasket from EBay and no leaks.
    I bought my oil pan gasket from EBay and that's my next project along with the lifters.
    I get that there are some things you just can't buy from EBay but, I've been lucky thus far. I don't know why people bash EBay. Reputable companies sell through EBay.

I'm not sure if there are Chevy Trailblazers there but, the Trailblazers have the LS engine that you can throw in your car. You can buy one for 1200.00 USD, take out the engine and tranny, refresh the engine and tranny, then send the rest of the truck to the scrapper and get 200.00
    There are other sleeper chevy cars that have the LS engine. The trick is to buy the car whole, take out the engine and tranny and either part out the rest of the car or send it to the scrapper to get some money back. If it all plays right, you will have an LS engine for about 300 bucks, in oppose to 1500.00 - 2000.00 just for the engine!

- - - Updated - - -

If you can find a Toyota Cressida there, they have the 1JZ.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    M50s had the 5spd ZF auto option, so most buyers went for that over the zf 5spd manual. It's a shame but I can see it being attractive over a gm 4spd like you guys got.

Nah, no chevys here. The GM LS v8s here are only in a few 'Holden' commodores . GM owns holden and imported some for their commodores in limited amounts for their top spec hero models - so everyone wants them and they are mega $$ because every lower spec commodore owner wants them. Holden commodore is what you guys got as pontiac gx8 and later on chev ss. The holden factory has stopped making commodores now too, so no more new lsx motors being brought out here.
    We mainly go for engines from japan, 1jz, 2jz, nissan rb etc, or the local 4L inline 6cyl barra by ford - but that's tall and long.

ebay isn't that bad, but often an unknown quality and the small ebay dealers in the US don't want to deal with overseas shipping. I buy some things from it if they are shipped from Asia cheap, and the UK postage price is OK too, but if I can only find it on ebay.com or the USA and when the shipping is more than the price of the part anyway I prefer established stores for oem quality when getting parts. At least it's OEM or lemforder or meyle or something, not a lower brand - after all returns are going to cost more in postage that what something is worth usually

So no LS, no manual m50s, no cheap shipping.
    Cheer up, it could be worse. You could be here
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 12:11 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    Nah, no chevys here. The GM LS v8s here are only in a few 'Holden' commodores . GM owns holden and imported some for their commodores in limited amounts for their top spec hero models - so everyone wants them and they are mega $$ because every lower spec commodore owner wants them. Holden commodore is what you guys got as pontiac gx8 and later on chev ss. The holden factory has closed now too, so no more new lsx motors being brought out here.
    We mainly go for engines from japan, 1jz, 2jz, nissan rb etc, or the local 4L inline 6cyl barra by ford - but that's tall and long.

ebay isn't that bad, but often an unknown quality and the small ebay dealers in the US don't want to deal with overseas shipping. I buy some things from it if they are shipped from Asia cheap, and th UK postage price is OK too, but when the shipping is more than the price of the part I prefer established stores for oem when getting parts from the USA

So no LS, no manual m50s, no cheap shipping.
    Cheer up, it could be worse. You could be here
    Agreed! LOL I feel bad that you're limited out there but, you definitely have access to the 1 and 2jzs. Or beef up a KA! You can get around 300WHP from a KA and they're easy to refresh.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    That's really surprising about the lack of manual m50s down under. Contrary to that I always got the impression that in the US we had quite a lot of 5spd 525i's battling the manual's shrinking market share in effect by the mid '90s.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Yeah, a lot of m20 manuals, a few m30 manuals, but then the price went up and a 5spd auto offered with the m50 so most took the 5spd auto (because yeah $85k for a car may as well take all the options and not row gears)
    What annoys me is it's the same gearbox in the aforementioned commodores - there everywhere here. But german industry being themselves made the gearboxes unique with integrated bell housings and not interchange-able.
    Japan so so much easier, just change the bellhousing and shove a supra box in your rx3...
    Last edited by fo3; 08-14-2018 at 12:46 PM.