Thread: Car runs great but shows P0441 and P0505. Also fuel gauge is acting funny.

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche

Car runs great but shows P0441 and P0505. Also fuel gauge is acting funny.

1997 328i with 206K miles:

I searched and read and I replaced the purge valve (part # 7 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1539 but I still have the P0441 code. What should I check next? The expansion tank behind the left rear fender?

Regarding P0505, I cleaned the ICV and that usually takes care of the code, but not this time. I am thinking that the two codes may be related. The car runs and idles so nicely, I honestly cannot figure it out.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but this is a new recent issue. When I fill up with gas, the fuel gauge will not go to full right away. Each time I turn the car off and restart it, the fuel gauge nudges up a little. Only after about 5 or six times of driving the car and restarting the car will the fuel gauge go to the full position.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice.
    Alpine White '97 328i 5 speed: S50 cams, M50 Manifold, TMS Cam/Intake Specific Software, UUC Stage II Clutch Kit, EVO 3 Short Shift Kit with DSSR, CAI, Cat-Back, ASC, Fan & CDV Delete, All M3 Stock Suspension & Brakes, 3.23 LSD, 17" DS II's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & Clutch Line, Depos Elipsoids & M3 mirrors

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Regarding the fuel level, I would suspect one of your fuel senders is dirty. You can fill the tank normally, then measure the resistance at each sender, that should tell you which one should be replaced or cleaned.
    Last edited by Eric93se; 08-13-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Can you try to read BMW manufacturer codes instead of P codes? If possible.
    They usually give way more info and clues as to what is happening.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    Thanks! Will probably just replace both senders, just to make sure to solve the problem the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

I just have a generic code reader, so P-codes are all I have. Will see if I can get/borrow a tool that shows the manufacturer's codes. Thanks for your help.
    Alpine White '97 328i 5 speed: S50 cams, M50 Manifold, TMS Cam/Intake Specific Software, UUC Stage II Clutch Kit, EVO 3 Short Shift Kit with DSSR, CAI, Cat-Back, ASC, Fan & CDV Delete, All M3 Stock Suspension & Brakes, 3.23 LSD, 17" DS II's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & Clutch Line, Depos Elipsoids & M3 mirrors

My Cars
    98 328i
    Try replacing the gas tank cap.

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    Update: I added a bottle of Chevron Techron when I filled up gas, I installed a new gas cap, and I reset the ECU. The P0505 idle control circuit MIL code went away, and the fuel level gauge issue went away. However, the car still has a P0441 code (EVAP incorrect purge flow), and now a P0455 code (EVAP large leak) popped up. I cleaned the Purge Control Solenoid and tested it, and it seems to be doing it's thing. If that fixed the problem, will the ECU clear the codes on its own? Or do I have to reset the ECU again? And if it will clear on its own, how long should it take before the code clears, if I did in fact fix the problem by cleaning the Purge Control Solenoid? I need to get my car smogged, and it literally takes about 3 weeks of driving the car every day for all of the readiness tests to complete, so I don't want to reset the ECU unless I have to. My next step in the troubleshooting process is to inspect the expansion tank behind the right rear wheel. However, I don't want to keep chasing down the problem if I already fixed it, and just need to reset the ECU. Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    BMW X5 2002
    I have been fighting the same code (P0441) on a BMW x5 2002 with 213K for about 2 months, I also need my smog done but EVAP is bringing back the check engine light.

I have done the following thus far:

1. Change Purge Valve
    2. Change Vacuum lines from engine
    3. Change Spark Plugs
    4. Change all Oxygen Sensors
    5. Change O ring in the fuel tank
    6. Change the fuel cap

Things that I am missing:
    1. Change Charcoal Canister
    2. Change fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by BMW&PorscheDude View Post
    Update: I added a bottle of Chevron Techron when I filled up gas, I installed a new gas cap, and I reset the ECU. The P0505 idle control circuit MIL code went away, and the fuel level gauge issue went away. However, the car still has a P0441 code (EVAP incorrect purge flow), and now a P0455 code (EVAP large leak) popped up. I cleaned the Purge Control Solenoid and tested it, and it seems to be doing it's thing. If that fixed the problem, will the ECU clear the codes on its own? Or do I have to reset the ECU again? And if it will clear on its own, how long should it take before the code clears, if I did in fact fix the problem by cleaning the Purge Control Solenoid? I need to get my car smogged, and it literally takes about 3 weeks of driving the car every day for all of the readiness tests to complete, so I don't want to reset the ECU unless I have to. My next step in the troubleshooting process is to inspect the expansion tank behind the right rear wheel. However, I don't want to keep chasing down the problem if I already fixed it, and just need to reset the ECU. Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Wrong forum my friend, this is just for e36' bimmers
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    Quote Originally Posted by cucu007 View Post
    I have been fighting the same code (P0441) on a BMW x5 2002 with 213K for about 2 months, I also need my smog done but EVAP is bringing back the check engine light.

I have done the following thus far:

1. Change Purge Valve
    2. Change Vacuum lines from engine
    3. Change Spark Plugs
    4. Change all Oxygen Sensors
    5. Change O ring in the fuel tank
    6. Change the fuel cap

Things that I am missing:
    1. Change Charcoal Canister
    2. Change fuel filter
    Inspect the EVAP fuel vapor expansion tank. Not sure where yours is located, but on the E36, it is tucked behind the right rear wheel where you fill up the gas. On ours, you have to remove the wheel and fender liner to gain access. My car had a crack in one the connection points on the expansion tank. I tried gluing it with JB Weld, but when I went to reinstall it, the glue job did not hold. I found a good used expansion tank and it just got delivered today. I am going to install it in the morning. I also found a good used purge valve, just in case that s a problem too. Will update this post when I get the problem resolved. Good luck with yours.

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche
    I was driving the car without the evap expansion tank, and plugged the lines that would otherwise go to the expansion tank. I don't recommend this, because when I went to put gas in the gar, I removed the gas cap the huge belching air pressure and some fuel spray came out of the gas fill tube. I had removed the expansion tank, because it tried to repair it by gluing it. It didn't hold so I got a good used expansion tank. I just installed that and a good used evap purge valve. The car idles and runs great, and I think that the problem is solved, but I still have the P0441 code (EVAP incorrect purge flow) and P0455 code (EVAP large leak), and now the P0442 (small EVAP leak) and P0446 (a general EVAP circuit error code). These additional evap error codes were caused by driving the car with the expansion tank lines plugged. My question is this: will the ECU clear these codes by way of the self tests? If so, how long should it take? Or do I have to reset the ECU? I am hoping the codes will clear themselves as the ECU runs its ongoing self tests, but I don't know. I need to get this car smogged right away, and resetting the ECU will take too long to complete all of the self tests before the smog test. Thank you for your help!