Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: e36 ignition coil on cylinder 4 melting / burning

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Nope, with the M52 the 2.0, 2.5 and 2.8, and even the US S52B32, all intake manifolds are the same.. So 150HP to 240HP, all the same manifold. Seems like BMW wanted a cheap, fit-all solution and didn't want to fine-tune. With the M50, the 2.0 had a different intake manifold compared to the 2.5 and US M3 3.0 one..

Chip, by far is the easiest and best bang for the money.
    I wouldn't spend too much on upgrading a 2.0. If you want power, best to just get a 328i or try and get a cheap M52B28 and install it in your chassis.
    Fast cams are too expensive, and also, if you would install those, you'd lose a bit of torque down below, and it already doesn't have that much.
    So I would keep an eye out for a chip tune (perhaps ask the few different tuners on ebay if they know if it's possible to tune it). Not much more you can do.

Another differential perhaps, but the 2.0 diff is already quite short ratio, so you'll lose comfort at the highway, but get a bit better acceleration.
    Weight reduction is another cheap and great way to improve acceleration.

Good luck!

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    Nope, with the M52 the 2.0, 2.5 and 2.8, and even the US S52B32, all intake manifolds are the same.. So 150HP to 240HP, all the same manifold. Seems like BMW wanted a cheap, fit-all solution and didn't want to fine-tune. With the M50, the 2.0 had a different intake manifold compared to the 2.5 and US M3 3.0 one..

Chip, by far is the easiest and best bang for the money.
    I wouldn't spend too much on upgrading a 2.0. If you want power, best to just get a 328i or try and get a cheap M52B28 and install it in your chassis.
    Fast cams are too expensive, and also, if you would install those, you'd lose a bit of torque down below, and it already doesn't have that much.
    So I would keep an eye out for a chip tune (perhaps ask the few different tuners on ebay if they know if it's possible to tune it). Not much more you can do.

Another differential perhaps, but the 2.0 diff is already quite short ratio, so you'll lose comfort at the highway, but get a bit better acceleration.
    Weight reduction is another cheap and great way to improve acceleration.

Good luck!
    That doesn't surprise me, I guess the 320i is rather a cruiser than a chaser Next summer I'll look into buying one of his bigger brothers.

Does weight reduction affect the power a lot, If I remove the rear seats spare tyre etc. I dont want to remove speakers, isolation and stuff because it is my daily.

I fuel my car with 95 octane, I heard that 98 would add some power aswell.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    If the torque curve is more or less comparable (so you can't compare turbo or supercharged engines to natural aspirated engines), the weight/hp ratio, or with the M52, because of it's down-tuned engines HP-wise, better to use weight/torque ratio.

So, your 320i weighs 1280 kg and has 150HP (190 Nm), so each HP has to drag along 8.5 kg OR each Nm has to drag along 6.7 kg
    A 323i weighs 1280kg and has 170HP (245 Nm), so each HP has to drag along 7.5 kg OR each Nm has to drag along 5.2 kg
    A 328i weighs 1280kg and has 193HP (280 Nm) , so each HP has to drag along 6.6 kg OR each Nm has to drag along 4.6 kg

The (European) 323i and 328i probably weigh a few kilos more due to bigger brakes, bigger differential, etc. But it's in the ball park.
    US models are probably more luxurious and way a bit more due to rear electric windows, exhaust air injection pump and probably some other stuff. Automatic gearbox also adds quite some weight (and worsens accelerations).

So, it's very simple, if you could get the weight down so much that you'd get to the 5.2kg per Nm (same as the 323i), you'd be faster than a stock 323i, because your car has a shorter ratio differential.
    At high speeds above say 150 km/h (say 100 mph) the weight doesn't matter that much anymore because the air drag is what has the biggest influence on the acceleration of the car. So, you need raw HPs and the 323i and 328i will then outrun the 150HP 320i, even if you have the same weight/hp ratio.

But especially at 0-100 or even 0-120 km/h sprints, the weight/nm or weight/hp ratio determines a lot (unless one of the cars has a much better torque curve, and to be honest, the M52B25 and B28 have a somewhat better torque curve).

To put it differently, to get as fast as the 323i you'd need to drop weight to 992 kg.
    To get as fast as the 328i you'd need to drop weight to 868 kg.

Both targets are virtually impossible, because you're talking about E30 4 cylinder weights (E30 316).
    Because of the shorter ratio differential, I think you'll get in the ball park of the 323i if you could a bit past halfway the weight target, so, say 1100 or 1150 kg.
    But, then again, that's still a very major weight drop.. Virtually impossible without very drastic measures.

Best to just give it a try. Rear seats, spare tire, unused floor mats, unnecessary tools in the trunk, etc. It ain't that much, but I'm sure you'll feel a difference. Won't be shocking though..
    P.S. Carbon fiber hoods and carbon trunk lids would also help, but those are way too expensive ;-) .
    Last edited by ed323i; 10-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    If the torque curve is more or less comparable (so you can't compare turbo or supercharged engines to natural aspirated engines), the weight/hp ratio, or with the M52, because of it's down-tuned engines HP-wise, better to use weight/torque ratio.

So, your 320i weighs 1280 kg and has 150HP (190 Nm), so each HP has to drag along 8.5 kg OR each Nm has to drag along 6.7 kg
    A 323i weighs 1280kg and has 170HP (245 Nm), so each HP has to drag along 7.5 kg OR each Nm has to drag along 5.2 kg
    A 328i weighs 1280kg and has 193HP (280 Nm) , so each HP has to drag along 6.6 kg OR each Nm has to drag along 4.6 kg

The (European) 323i and 328i probably weigh a few kilos more due to bigger brakes, bigger differential, etc. But it's in the ball park.
    US models are probably more luxurious and way a bit more due to rear electric windows, exhaust air injection pump and probably some other stuff. Automatic gearbox also adds quite some weight (and worsens accelerations).

So, it's very simple, if you could get the weight down so much that you'd get to the 5.2kg per Nm (same as the 323i), you'd be faster than a stock 323i, because your car has a shorter ratio differential.
    At high speeds above say 150 km/h (say 100 mph) the weight doesn't matter that much anymore because the air drag is what has the biggest influence on the acceleration of the car. So, you need raw HPs and the 323i and 328i will then outrun the 150HP 320i, even if you have the same weight/hp ratio.

But especially at 0-100 or even 0-120 km/h sprints, the weight/nm or weight/hp ratio determines a lot (unless one of the cars has a much better torque curve, and to be honest, the M52B25 and B28 have a somewhat better torque curve).

To put it differently, to get as fast as the 323i you'd need to drop weight to 992 kg.
    To get as fast as the 328i you'd need to drop weight to 868 kg.

Both targets are virtually impossible, because you're talking about E30 4 cylinder weights (E30 316).
    Because of the shorter ratio differential, I think you'll get in the ball park of the 323i if you could a bit past halfway the weight target, so, say 1100 or 1150 kg.
    But, then again, that's still a very major weight drop.. Virtually impossible without very drastic measures.

Best to just give it a try. Rear seats, spare tire, unused floor mats, unnecessary tools in the trunk, etc. It ain't that much, but I'm sure you'll feel a difference. Won't be shocking though..
    P.S. Carbon fiber hoods and carbon trunk lids would also help, but those are way too expensive ;-) .
    Thank you that was interesting. I will try to remove as much as I can without converting it into a drift car lol. It should still be usable as a daily. I'll mesure the time I need from 0-100km/h before and after removing some weight

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123