Thread: WTB Driveshaft Shop 4bolt shaft

My Cars
    2004 M3

WTB Driveshaft Shop 4bolt shaft

Interested in buying driveshaft shop driveshaft carbon if possible 4 bolt flange.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Beware CF on an E36 if you have big power unless you really have the motor, trans, subframe and diff locked down. A little rub and the CF will disintegrate. I have run the chromoly for years and it has rub marks on it due to movement despite my stiffer than stock mounts.

Member Butters Stoch has gotten a lot of DSS DS for members at reduced prices, but I think all chromoly.

Also beware the DSS shafts are miserable to drive for most people. They whine loudly and vibrate at high speed. I have had 3 chromoly, including one that was foam injected for dampening, and all whine. I am going to a 6 speed, which is a longer trans, which means a shorter DS, and the reduced length may help. I may also go to CF, since it may absorb some whine. I would recommend staying stock unless you need the extra strength. I twist stock DS in two with my turbo E36M3 on R compound tires. I think much of the issue is due to the DSS front adapter that does away with the guibo. No one makes a shaft that retains the guibo yet, but it is possible mfactory will eventually (it has made E9xM3 shafts and will be doing so again along with E46M3 shafts). I have one on my E9xM3 in CF and no issues with whine or vibration.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    I appreciate the insight. Makes the chromoly more appealing. It will be for my dedicated turbo drift car so whine won't be a problem just need strength.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is a turbo e36 drifter you should ask. Might be MikeE36 or something like that. Have not read much from him lately but the young guys post more on Facebook now. If your car is dedicated drift, I assume you will be on all solid mounts so no movement until the rear unit body spot welds give way but you could address that. Chikenhed has a thread. A fuel cell would also give you room to weld up that area and also give you some room for the DS to move (it is very close to the tank saddles). DSS chromoly is 3 inch. Also much heavier than stock. DSS CF is only 2.75.

It’s not just whine. Mine also vibrates above 100 in 5th. That could be a DS rpm you won’t see as much of if you are in the lower gears — I don’t know.