Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Dlux BMW E21 build

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Welp, thats about it. My projects on this car are mostly done, or at least the planned ones are. Only things left are paint and headliner which I plan to have professionals do for me so it actually looks nice.

I got the sub box all done. I figured about 3-4 hours and I would be able to make it,... yeah, no. LOL I probably had 25 hours into this box said and done.

I had been running a generic box and it sounded ok, nothing special. I am running JL audio W3V3 10" subs so I got a hold of them to see if they could provide specs to their speakers. Not only did they provide specs, they actually drew a box up for me according to the space I provided! Crazy they do that for free! Well, I had to modify their plans but they still helped a ton. I needed the box to follow the slope of the back seat and also go around the rear strut brace and I was not going to bother them with that.

So, all said and done, this box sounds legit! Its hitting a ton of frequencies that I could never hear before. Its sounds so good! I am stoked that I did it, I was questioning myself at one point if it was going to be worth all the work.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I have been slacking on a video I made for the BMW. I made two.

The first one is just me describing the mods to the car. The 2nd is me going on a drive. I will post the 2nd when its done uploading. I feel like I am on dial up. LOL

https://youtu.be/NtablgWi4cE

My Cars
    1983 E21 315
    Nice vid!!!

I am doing the 5 lug swap too but I used e12 hubs for the front.Now I am doing the rears.I read the whole build,thanks for sharing!!!
    Last edited by mitsakosgt; 05-22-2020 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Looking (and sounding) gooooooood! Amazing job!

I so wish I could come get a hell ride in the hills with you!

I would definitely not kick this car out of my driveway

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    I like the motor swap and how you implemented it. An old friend of mine we used to discuss a GM V6 swap early 2004. Nice car man.

Watch those rear axle angles :o) At those dropped angles loading the rear suspension in a turn could explode the CV joints. Plus you've some hp output so could happen even easier. Ask old man lol
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsakosgt View Post
    Nice vid!!!

I am doing the 5 lug swap too but I used e12 hubs for the front.Now I am doing the rears.I read the whole build,thanks for sharing!!!
    Thanks! What are you doing to the rears? E12 front hubs would have been a way easier way to go. I got scared that I wouldnt be able to find replacements if I needed though.

Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    Looking (and sounding) gooooooood! Amazing job!

I so wish I could come get a hell ride in the hills with you!

I would definitely not kick this car out of my driveway
    Thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    I like the motor swap and how you implemented it. An old friend of mine we used to discuss a GM V6 swap early 2004. Nice car man.

Watch those rear axle angles :o) At those dropped angles loading the rear suspension in a turn could explode the CV joints. Plus you've some hp output so could happen even easier. Ask old man lol
    Thanks!

Yeah the rear shafts are at an angle for sure. I am wearing boots out so that is something that needs addressed. A guy on FB linked me to some super stretch boots so I think I will try those.

As for breaking the shafts, I have over 10k miles on this car now so I am hoping that wont be the case? At least it wont be a super common problem if so.

- - - Updated - - -

Part 1 was a detailed walk around on the Dlux Fab E21 LFX swap, here is the drive up the canyon.
    Its a bit long but I am sure you can figure out how to make it shorter if needed.

https://youtu.be/U-E5hFJyi4o

My Cars
    1983 E21 315
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dlux View Post
    Thanks! What are you doing to the rears? E12 front hubs would have been a way easier way to go. I got scared that I wouldnt be able to find replacements if I needed though.

Thanks bud!

Thanks!

Yeah the rear shafts are at an angle for sure. I am wearing boots out so that is something that needs addressed. A guy on FB linked me to some super stretch boots so I think I will try those.

As for breaking the shafts, I have over 10k miles on this car now so I am hoping that wont be the case? At least it wont be a super common problem if so.

- - - Updated - - -

Part 1 was a detailed walk around on the Dlux Fab E21 LFX swap, here is the drive up the canyon.
    Its a bit long but I am sure you can figure out how to make it shorter if needed.

https://youtu.be/U-E5hFJyi4o

I am going the E28 route for the rear...I found a rear axle without the diff and I am now in the market for a diff so I can start disassembly and measure the hell out of them....

My Cars
    1983 320/6
    Looks great! I purchased mine and will be installing soon on my 1983 320. Any tips on putting it on? Would you use the glue provided or just leave it "snapped on"? Thanks. John

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I personally would not be satisfied with just leaving it in place I dont think. I would guess that it would rattle and squeak and move around? I guess you could just toss it up there and see how you like it and then if it has issues, glue it in?

My Cars
    82 320i, 99 M3
    Hey Erik!

I could not help but notice how awesome your E21 build is! The engine mounts you made look great. How has the front end of the car been holding up? I am planning to fab some reinforcements for the front of my s52 e21 build come spring time. I have super OCD and wasn't sure what would be the best for strength/weldability regarding engine mounts. What type of steel plate did you use? Assuming cold rolled but not sure. Also, was that just a generic poly bushing for the mount section? As for now planning to use 3/16 steel for the mounts, seems like it would be strong enough. Trying to do my homework.

Thanks for your time!

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Thanks for posting in here....

Everything on this build has been working great. I really like the front end and the adjustable sway bar. I have it pretty tight now, much stiffer than stock. I have found I like the front pretty stiff and I took off the rear sway completely.

Just basic plate 1018 flat plate for the motor mounts. You shouldn't need anything more than 1/8"thick. If that falls, it's more likely the design than the material.

Yeah, just a generic poly bushing. I can get a part number of you like. Just be prepared that they have little give which is awesome for performance but you do get vibrations.

My Cars
    82 320i, 99 M3
    Awesome. Looks like a rock solid setup. As for the part number, that certainly wouldn't hurt. Planning to make a stiff setup myself.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    The motor and trans bushings I used are:

Energy suspension 3.2106G

I think you can just use 3.2106 The "g" should indicate black so I think you could get 3.2106R for example and get red ones...

My Cars
    E21 318 1977
    Hello.

Do you have any more photos of finished cut E21 rear seats? I am doing this install as well, and really wonder how they ended up looking.
    Cant seem to fnd any photos in this thread, are they all deleted or moved?

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Quote Originally Posted by danskiii View Post
    Hello.

Do you have any more photos of finished cut E21 rear seats? I am doing this install as well, and really wonder how they ended up looking.
    Cant seem to fnd any photos in this thread, are they all deleted or moved?
    Not sure whats up with the pics. Sorry.

Check my build over on stanceworks. Looks like they are working there.

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...21-build/page9

My Cars
    E21 318 1977
    Not sure whats up with the pics. Sorry.

Check my build over on stanceworks. Looks like they are working there.

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...21-build/page9
    Sorry for all the typing errors in the last post, but seems like you understood what I meant
    For some reason I get an error when trying to create an account on stanceworks, so was not able to comment there.

Iv'e seen the photos in the other post, but I am curious about the reason why you did not use the oem hooks. Does your seats extend far out from the rear wall, and mabye more upright?
    Im asking because from the 02 threads I have read they use the oem hooks mostly.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    No worries on stanceworks. Here is all good.

Yeah, if the back of the seats to back against where the chassis is, they lean back too far. They sit out inches and thats why you have to make a bigger parcel shelf. I will see if I can attach a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E21 318 1977
    No worries on stanceworks. Here is all good.

Yeah, if the back of the seats to back against where the chassis is, they lean back too far. They sit out inches and thats why you have to make a bigger parcel shelf. I will see if I can attach a pic.
    Ok thanks! Will start to cut the seats today.
    The lower oem bracket to fasten the middle console, you moved that as well, or did you just slide it down to use it as it is originally placed?
    did you do any other modifications to the middle console?

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Did you see this post further down?

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...39#post1612739

My Cars
    E21 318 1977
    Did you see this post further down?

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...39#post1612739
    Yes, but did you have to trim the console?

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    No trimming to the console. I just had to weld on some tabs on the bottom. You can see this a couple of posts down.

I did not utilize the front tab on the console either.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910