Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dlux BMW E21 build

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I am not sure where my brain was when I figured out that the oil filter attachment from a Traverse worked on this motor. I obviously didnt take a good enough look it. When I went to tighten it up, I could see on the back side that the oil passages didnt line up and also 1 of the 4 bolt holes that hold it to the block didnt go in. Once I took it off and compared it to the stock housing, it was obvious that this will not work. OOPS!

So, now that I had a lot riding on the idea of remote oil lines, I had to figure something out. I went with the path of least resistance and decided to make my own. I dont have any tools that will make a plate like this automatically or CNC so I just went to the manual mill and popped one out. Making curves on a manual mill isnt the hardest thing in the world but not the easiest either. So, not a perfect piece but I am happy with the way it turned out.

Camaro right, Traverse left

All rough cut on the mill and then cleaned up with a die grinder and carbide bit.

1/2 NPT IN/OUT and pressure sensor

Installed on block

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I made an adapter plate for my gigantic, dual oil filters to mount where the E21 fuel distributor goes. I think these oil filters will hold approx 1 qt each which should compliment my cut oil pan nicely.

Radiator fan mounted

Battery mounted

Air cleaner installed.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Beautiful!! Super fast progress!

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Been sick in bed the last couple of days so I am struggling to get things done. I did manage to mount the ECU, expansion tank and the front strut bar.

I was going to wait to do the strut bar till next winter or so but I figured the expansion tank would be right in the way so I better do it now.

ECU mount

ECU mounted

Strut bar

Expansion tank mounted on strut bar

And thats pretty much it for the engine compartment! Just need to run brakes and wire it up. Might be able to start it this weekend?

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12

I spent the weekend wiring the car up. Not only did I want to wire the car with the new ECU for the motor but I wanted to clean up the whole harness from the fuse box forward. I removed as much as I could, added in what I need to and fixed any flaws in the wiring that I could find. Oh, I also wired in my E30 H1 headlights but I will cover that in another post.

A couple shots of the wiring...

Looking at the above pic, it looks a bit odd hanging high up like that. I think I will see if the harness is long enough to drop along the bottom.

I got the brake booster delete installed. You know things are tight along the booster when you have to shave your booster delete. LOL

If you look, you will see I got the proportioning valve installed too along with some of the lines and also hooked it up to the rear brakes. I just have to run the front left and right side and brake lines will be done.

Gas pedal is installed. I made a super simple bracket that makes the pedal adjustable up and down and if you wanted it to come towards you, you could simply add some spacers.

Some good advice I got on the pedal is to get the C6 Corvette pedal if you can because its metal. You can bend and weld this pedal to get it exactly where you want unlike most other plastic pedals. I ended up cutting it a bit, welding it a bit and bending it a bit to get it exactly where I want. I think you could have left it stock but it would have rubbed the the side of the carpet a bit.

Pedal is ACDELCO 25835421 and should work for most drive by wire pedals.

Bracket

Chop, chop,

Weld, weld

Final results

Not having the pedal come out of the floor is so nice! Now I dont have to have a funky/strange floor mat on that side anymore!

Last edited by Erik Dlux; 03-14-2019 at 12:08 PM.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    So, the headlights.... There is a trick for E30 guys and other BMW guys in general. Just skip past the first part of installing E30 lights into the E21.

The E21 has sealed beam headlights and they suck. Cant see much as they are not very bright. For this reason, I set out to get some E30 headlights. They are H1 bulbs so they are much brighter. Dont have to deal with the heavy, harder to find sealed beams either.

Its seems really confusing to adapt these headlights because it seemed to me that people were all over the place with the info. There really isnt that much to know and to do to install these if you boil it down.

E21 has 2 connections on the high beams, so does the E30. 1 ground, 1 power.

E21 has 3 connections on the low beam. 1 ground, 1 power for low beam, 1 power for high beam. E30 has 2 BUT has a park light deal also, so it has 3 connections also. 1 ground, 1 power for low beam, 1 power for park light.

To wire these up:

Connect the high beams. 1 ground (brown wire) and then get a multi meter and check to see which wire on the E21 shows power when on high beams. Once that wire is found, hook it up to the power wire on the E30 lights. Done with high beams. Easy.

Low beams are just about as easy. The will have 3 connections. 1 ground (brown wire), 1 power wire for the H1 bulb and 1 power wire for the park lights. Ground is easy, cut it and connect to E30 headlights. Now, same as high beams, get youre multimeter and find out which wire is showing power when LOW beams are on. Connect that one to the power to the headlights. You could be done here if you want. No need to hook up the park light lamp but if you do, just splice into the turn signal wire which supplies the park lights and run that wire to this park light wire.

To get the low beams to stay on with the high beams, you will want to jumper the high beam relay and low beam relay legs 30 together. People have done this with wire, I got into the fuse box and soldered a wire in the circuitry though.

Done with low beams, pretty easy right? Well, kinda, read below for the actual complicated part. LOL

E30 and other BMW guys start reading here......

So, the part I skipped is that the E30 lights have waterproof housings on them. Typical BMW engineering, they made connectors to connect the connectors.... On top of that, you have to find out which type of connector out of a handful they are and then you have to find out which type of wire to put into those connectors out of a handful of those. Confusing? Yeah, I thought so too after searching for a couple of hours. The best part???!!! The connectors are not bad, about $4 ea before shipping but EACH wire is about $10ea! You need 10 of these wires so youre about $120-$130 just to hope you got the right wires and connectors, that you dont really even need!

After figuring out the price, I took at look and thought "oh, yeah, BMW stuff, lets simplify it".

You dont really need the connectors that go to the back of the housing. All I did was eliminate those and hard wired until the connectors. You can still remove the housings, still unplug the bulbs. Nothing is lost only gained.

Here is what I did:

This is what youre dealing with. You "need" connectors going to these 2 spots on both sides.

BUT... lift the housings and you can see that there are already removable connectors on all the bulbs and ground...

Take all the connectors off

Push all the pins out by hand.

What you will have now..

Unsolder the ends

Prepare the car side wires with 1/4" heat shrink before you insert them into the housings.

Push them thru the housings and solder the car side to the headlight side.

Shrink all the heat shrink. And you should be good to go. So, basically free and less complicated vs. $120ish and more areas to fail.

The part where you can pick this mod apart or maybe where its not bulletproof is the heat shrink on the housing side. I dont really like how the heat shrink can fall off the housing. This part needs some modifying but easy to figure out down the road. My plan right now is to place some RTV in there to hold the heat shrink.
    Last edited by Erik Dlux; 03-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Here is the attempted motor start up. Its a bit long for sure. Sorry, I dont know if its boring to watch but its exciting for me!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UvOPuThR58A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/UvOPuThR58A

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Congrats on getting running. Progress and patience. When ready (check oil press, tuning fuel etc) be sure to post up some road pulls.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I started in on the interior. I saved this as one of the last things to do as I knew it would be really satisfying and maybe my favorite part of the build?

I feel like people look at me a bit crossed eye when I tell them I am building an older BMW. Like, "why would you put the time and effort into such a car?". Well, it does have a lot to do with it being my first car when I was 16 but even back then, I can remember the first time I sat in my first E21.

When I sat in my first car, the instant my butt hit the seats, I was in love. I think a lot of it has to do with the way BMW designed the dash. I love that the dash seems to curve around and favor the driver. As if this is MY car and sorry youre just a passenger but its all about me and the BMW E21 makes me feel very spoiled in this way. I dont think you can understand this car without at least sitting in the drivers seat and maybe even driving it?

Having said all of that, the interior is my favorite part for this reason. I really want or maybe I should say "need" the interior to be perfect for me.

The center console that my car came with is cool and has its character for sure but it was made with an A/C unit in it and this made it so the stereo pointed upwards. Again, character for sure but its not very functional when you want to see what is playing on the radio or just the time. Also, this console made it so there is nowhere to put your phone or wallet. I didnt like that so I went with a non A/C center console.

On top of the non A/C console, I wanted a double DIN stereo. This will give me modern luxuries like a back up camera and navigation.

Here is the non A/C console I ended up finding for a really good deal. Its in pretty good shape. I thought I was genius because I went on ebay.uk and found it. Well, if you actually think about that, the UK uses right hand drive.... the console I got was a right hand drive. LOL. Whoops! Luckily I found out that you can just disassemble it and mirror it and it works out fine.

One thing I dislike about these cars is that they used some weaker plastic in the console so at this age, they have pretty much stripped and lost many of the screws that hold the console together. If they are not stripped or gone, the console still feels really weak to me, like its going to break or it flexes too much as is. I wanted to address this and make it bomb proof.

I started out with the back plate. I made a gnarly thick 3/8" Delrin back plate to replace my cracked and broken one.

Next is the gear shifter surround. If you look, you will see the plastic on my surround is cracked. This means no threads. Pretty simple, I just made pieces that go inside and I will shoe goo them and this will reinforce the threads.

Thats pretty bomproof with just those two upgrades but then I needed to install my double din stereo. I was not smart enough to get an install kit and I didnt want to go get one or wait so I just made my own. It doubles as a brace for the console too. The sides bolt to the side of the console.

With those three mods, this console is bombproof for sure. I could install it in that tight spot with my foot and not be worried about it flexing or breaking. That feels awesome to me.

The last thing I did for the console was to make a new "floor' for it. BMW thought it was a good idea to make the OG one from a wall papered piece of cardboard. Obviously, this creates a lot of problems and at this point, fits and looks like crap. I duplicated it out of some textured plastic. This plastic is awesome. It matches the BMW textured plastic perfectly. You would think this is factory.

Here is where I am at with the console. I still need to install it but I need to wire a bunch of other stuff before I am done.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Next thing I worked on in the interior was the gauge cluster. One of the most awesome things about this motor swap is that I can swap in all these gauges and all I have to do is wire for power and lights. No hooking up to sensors or anything. Just plug right into the OBD2 port and everything is up and going.

I wanted to keep the gauge cluster somewhat stock looking or maybe I should just say that I didnt want a flat panel. I wanted it recessed like the E21 does.

So, I got to work and I layed out the gauges. They are tight! I cut out a layout and put it on top of the original gauge pod.

I then cut out everywhere there was interference.

Installed the gauges... man, its tight in there! I cant even turn the rings on the back that hold the gauges in. I have to turn the gauges themselves because all the rings on the backside hit each other! You couldnt go any bigger on gauges!

And this is where I am at with it right now... The shiney black plastic will be replaced with the same textured plastic that I did the center console in. I cant wait to install this! I am loving the way it turned out!

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    ...Huh. That looks downright muscle car inspired with the cluster. Love it dude
    -John

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Thanks man! Wait till you see it in the car. I love it and cant wait!

My Cars
    1978 320i
    You’re already on your interior and I still havent even put a part on my car 😂. Looks awesome so far!

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I am resizing the images on the forums. Let me know if you guys like it better or worse.

I had to redo the oil filter bypass that I made. My gauges showed 0 oil pressure and I really had to think about it and figure out what was going on.

On the stock filter housing, there are 3 ports. Supply, return and then 1 that I had a hard time figuring out. This one that I had a hard time figuring out had its own port from the block and it went to the outside (supply) of the filter housing. It had a valve though. This valve is only open when the filter is not on and putting pressure on it. I figured this was just to drain back into the block when doing a filter change. After thinking about it further, I think its actually a safety feature. I think they put it in so if youre filter comes loose or off, then the valve opens and it bypasses the filter and the supply just feeds directly into the supply. This is why it sounded like I was getting oil but no pressure. Anyway, I took the adapter off that I made and welded that entire port shut. Now I am at 60psi! I will update the original post so hopefully nobody copies me and has the same problem.

I feel like these E21s are a perfect example of the 70's and 80's. One thing that sticks out to me are the side mirrors. In 1980, they went to the wing window location and they were electric and plastic. I much prefer the 70's where they are chrome and manual so I swapped mine out.

Since I was removing the ones from the wing, I had to make a plate to cover where the old ones went. I do have a spare car that I could have stole that part from but I didnt like the amount of work to put them in and I also didnt like the look.

Chrome mirrors installed! I love them! I think they look much better.

I saw somebody selling some door handles that were drilled out awhile back and I thought it was a pretty cool touch so I decided to use the idea myself. I have spare handles so no risk involved.

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    You could chrome the blockoff plate for the old mirror! E12s also have a chrome triangle. Not sure if it’s drop in on later doors because I haven’t gotten mine yet
    -John

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Block off plate from the old mirror? I am not sure what you mean. You mean off a pre 80 or from my 83? My 83 didnt have a block off plate.

I will have to check into the e12 triangle.

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Like, you have space for the two bolts that previously went through to the electric mirror. Pretty sure that’s the mirror I sent you anyhow, yeah? PM me your number and I’ll shoot you a photo
    -John

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and decided to try and shoot for it. I have some in laws coming into town this weekend and wont have time to work on this car for about a week so I wanted to get it done before then. I thought I would put in a good bit of hours and shoot to have it done last Saturday.

From Sunday to Saturday, I would wake up around 4:30 or 5am and then hit the bed around 10pm. Monday-Friday I "had" to work, or do my paying job so I would work 5am to 2pm and then 2pm to 10pm on the car. 17hr days in total. Well, 6, 17hr days in a row seems to be about what my brain and body is capable of because on the 7th day, I feel apart. LOL. I couldnt think very well and things were taking much longer than need. Carpool tunnel and tendinitis are in full swing too! Awesome.

So, car is close to being a driver. Just need to finish up a couple things. I hope to drive it Tues or Wed.

Interior is done! I couldnt be much happier with it. I love the way the gauges turned out and also the NON A/C console with the double din.

Seat heaters and Cruise control are also installed. Cruise control probably needs some programming but I will have to see when I drive it.

For the cruise control, I could not use the OBDII port as my gauges are already using it. I ended up using the reluctor ring that is in the rear difff for a speed signal.

Double din, seat heaters (both sides) check engine light (middle) and 12V outlet (far right) that is ALWAYS hot.

Gauges

Gauges lit up. I wanted them to match the rest of the interior so I made them with white pointers and red lit faces. I need to change my stereo to red to match.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    You cant loose with style 42's!

It took me a really long time to figure out which wheels I wanted. IMO, these are the coolest BBS wheels.

The style 42 wheel comes in a couple different offsets and widths. From what I know, you can get (double check me):

8 x17 et20 from an E39

7.5 x17 et41 from an E36 or Z3 Z3

8.5 x 17 et41 from an E36 or Z3

8 x 17 et47 from a E46 (?)

The et41 are pretty hard to find. ET47 are almost impossible to find and the et20 are easy to find all day.

I think ideally I would have been best with the et47 wheels in the rear if I didnt narrow up the E28 rear. Since I did narrow it up, the et41 8.5 x 17 seem absolutely perfect!

In the front, since my custom front end will allow for adjustment any which way I want, the 8 x 17 et 20 seem like they will be the way to go. I like that I can find replacements all day. In fact, I picked up a set of 4 for $200 so I do have 2 spares already.

I went with 215/40r17 NItto in the back, 205/40r17 Nitto in the front.

After getting the tires and wheels mounted, I did some more measuring and I didnt like the amount of clearance under the exhaust. Running pretty low, I figured I would have about 1" from the bottom of the exhaust to the ground. Being new to lowered cars, that seemed really low to me and I didnt like it so, redid some of the exhaust. I moved it further out towards the wheel, where the subframe goes up. This netted me another 1.25" of clearance so I will have somewhere between 2-2.5" of clearance now. I hope thats enough.

I had to move the sway bar up to accommodate too. Lucky for me, I just flipped the mount upside down and that did the trick.

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Wow you already almost have it on the road! That’s some crazy progress.bdo you have more pictures of how your diff sat in the vehicle after it was mounted? Mines feels like it leaves a ton of space above it but I’m not sure if that’s normal.

EDIT: Forgive me! I just scrolled some pages back and looked st your picture. I guess it’s normal. I just haven’t put all my components in so it looks extremely empty.
    Last edited by AndronPrime; 03-25-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Never mind!

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Hopefully you can forgive me on the lack of pictures on this update. I am too focused on getting this thing on the road so not too many were taken.

I got the front end all done and assembled. Man, its so nice to have everything adjustable unlike the rear end. Track width, wheel base and camber are all easily adjustable. This makes it so you can put everything exactly where you want. Zero compromises!

The only things I have left before this hits the road are:

Rear caliper, mine has zero flow. I have one on order but it wont be here until Monday so I will tear the one I have apart here and see if I can shake it loose.

Alternator is not charging. I dont know if its the ECU not sending a signal or the alternator itself. The alternator is brand new. I tried hooking up 12v to both inputs and I still have no output. I ordered a new one and it should be here today. Lesson learned, buy alternators and starters from local places so you can return them easily. I bought mine from Carid.com and it would take about a week to get a replacement. $250 mistake learned...

Need to make and install a motor skid plate

Need to make and install euro front bumper mounts

As you can see, not too much to do. I hope to drive it Saturday!

Here are a couple shots of the front end while assembling it.

I decided to put a bend in the sway bar arms instead of running those weird extension deals. The aluminum arms did crack and stress. One was bad enough that I welded it. Hopefully they hold, I think they will but if they do not, I will order steel versions and bend those.

Overall shot of the front end with no brakes

Overall shot of the front end with brakes and sway bar arms installed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AndronPrime View Post
    Wow you already almost have it on the road! That’s some crazy progress.bdo you have more pictures of how your diff sat in the vehicle after it was mounted? Mines feels like it leaves a ton of space above it but I’m not sure if that’s normal.

EDIT: Forgive me! I just scrolled some pages back and looked st your picture. I guess it’s normal. I just haven’t put all my components in so it looks extremely empty.
    Yeah, there is quite a bit of room up top. Not much I think you can do though? My gas tanks are hard into the subframe and I cut my subframe to give clearance. I dont know how you would move it up further without some serious mods?

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Glad to see this getting down to the little details. Mine is somewhat in that stage, but at a lower level fit/finish and far less complex. Keep up the good work and post up some overall shots when it's on wheels with bumpers and stuff.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Thanks man!

At this point, it can be a real mind game and a challenge, right?

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dlux View Post
    Thanks man!

At this point, it can be a real mind game and a challenge, right?
    HUGE mind game. It really makes you appreciate the work people put into these types of projects especially to a higher level like yours. To then take the time to post trials, tribulations, and photos of it all adds to it. Free inspiration to whomever. It's cool stuff, and like you say can be a challenge. Victory isn't as sweet if you don't have to work for it.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Yeah, its funny. I was thinking about all this a lot this last week.

I thought I was going to be done last Saturday. I put in extra time and effort to make it so. If I only knew how far off I was....

I think its expectations that make it so hard? I expected to drive it last week, I expected no problems. Many small problems popped up and instead of enjoying the build, like I have in the last few months, my impatience got the best of me and I started getting anxious and not enjoying it. I think, at least for me, the secret is to slow down, act like you enjoy it (looking back, you will have enjoyed it) and let it get done when it gets done.

Another thought I had.... Its crazy when people build cars because you can build one and then sell it for a loss! What?! A loss after all that effort? Isnt that crazy? Seems like people should have to pay out the nose for anything that has had work done to it. They are the smart ones I suppose. Pay less and get a whole lot more. On this same note, this car will never leave my hands or if it does, it will be for a premium.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast