Thread: 540i/6 - New clutch but now won't shift into 5th or 6th gear!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6spd

540i/6 - New clutch but now won't shift into 5th or 6th gear!

I just finished installing a new clutch in my 2001 540i/6. I used the stock type LuK clutch kit, flywheel and replaced all the transmission shaft seals etc per the extended kit offered by BavAuto. I had a problem with the slave cylinder during the install - it puked its guts into the bell housing the first time I pressed the clutch pedal - I must have damaged it when installing the transmission. Anyway, after getting a replacement, I had to bleed the hydraulics. First test run and it shifts fine reverse and 1st through 4th but when trying to go to fifth or sixth it grinds and really doesn't want to go into gear. I re-bled the slave cylinder - and the whole circuit really - three or four times now and still won't shift into 5th or 6th. I used a pressure bleeder and even tried pushing fluid up through the bottom too.

I'm confounded! I don't know if I just am not able to fully bleed the hydraulics or somehow damaged the syncro or what. I need suggestions on what to do next! Any of you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks is advance!

Other info: This car has not been abused. 127k miles. Used as a commuter by me. It's essentially stock. There was nothing wrong with the trans before I dug into this project. It has an aftermarket shifter installed by previous owner at 40k miles. I've had the car since 2010 /75k miles.

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    If the engine is off can you shift it into 5th and 6th?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Check for slop in the shift linkage.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    If the engine is off can you shift it into 5th and 6th?
    ^^^ excellent Q
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6spd
    Hi guys, I solved the problem with help from the forum. I actually posted in two places by mistake. The other post is here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...clutch-install

Anyway, it was the shift linkage installed backwards. It did shift into all gears with the engine off.

Thanks for replying though! This site is the best!!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Roughly how many hours did you have into the job, minus the time spent on the slave/bleeding/linkage?
    Current
    2001 540i 6sp. Dinan Muffler and CAI
    2007 Lincoln Navigator

Former
    1988 635 CSi
    1971 Triumph 1300 TC

Aviation is 100% Successful
    "we've never left one up there"

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6spd
    Its hard estimate accurately as I did this job over a 5 week period. But, I'd say I have a good 16 to 20 hours into it. Keep in mind I did it entirely by myself, in my sloped driveway and I'm an amateur with some amount of experience but haven't done a job like this in more than thirty years.

Big time sinks:
    Pulling the trans itself. I'm pretty fit for a 50 year old dude but this was physically challenging. Don't even think about doing this without a transmission jack. I figured this out pretty quick and went out and bought one from Harbor Freight. Using a regular floor jack could have been lethal! This is a heavy transmission! BTW, I could not find one for rent anywhere near me.
    I could not break free the nuts that hold the flexdisk driveshaft to the trans from under the car so had to leave it attached to pull out the trans. I spend quite a bit of time coming to that conclusion.
    I updated the flex disk and transmission seals while the trans was out. Getting the flex disk nuts free was a bear even with the whole thing on the floor of my garage.
    Taking the trans yoke off to replace the rear seal is difficult too. 1/2 impact wrench and home made holding tool was required to free the nut and this all took a lot of time.
    I replaced the center bearing on the driveshaft. More time and creative bolt loosening required. Use the right type of bearing puller for this or risk damaging the bolt threads like I did!
    I replaced the rear main on the engine and the coolant plate gasket at the back of the engine.
    Pulling the pilot bearing was a task - could not find a puller small enough for the 5/8 ID of the bearing - used the wet paper towel and punch method (look it up on youtube) which is very slow but it works!
    I replaced the flywheel. You need the special offset tool to access the socket head bolts. Holding the flywheel to loosen the bolts is tricky without a special tool. My workaround was to wedge a long pry bar between the flywheel teeth and the driveway at the 9 o'clock position. Worked great for both loosening and tightening (on the opposite side)!
    Putting the trans back in was another wrestling match that nearly broke me but I got it! The trans jack is crucial here to adjust the angle of the pitch and roll. My driveway is slightly sloped so I had gravity working against me the whole way!
    Finally reinstalling the exhaust by myself was quite difficult even with jack stands supporting it - a lot of down and up from under the car to align it to the exhaust manifold studs.

Plan for at least ten trips to and from the parts/tool store and you will forget to order all the parts you need ahead of time so if you get parts online like I do you will have delays waiting for them.

Looking back it was a big job for me but not being in a hurry certainly helped.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by 01CT540i View Post
    Its hard estimate accurately as I did this job over a 5 week period. But, I'd say I have a good 16 to 20 hours into it. Keep in mind I did it entirely by myself, in my sloped driveway and I'm an amateur with some amount of experience but haven't done a job like this in more than thirty years.

Big time sinks:
    Pulling the trans itself. I'm pretty fit for a 50 year old dude but this was physically challenging. Don't even think about doing this without a transmission jack. I figured this out pretty quick and went out and bought one from Harbor Freight. Using a regular floor jack could have been lethal! This is a heavy transmission! BTW, I could not find one for rent anywhere near me.
    I could not break free the nuts that hold the flexdisk driveshaft to the trans from under the car so had to leave it attached to pull out the trans. I spend quite a bit of time coming to that conclusion.
    I updated the flex disk and transmission seals while the trans was out. Getting the flex disk nuts free was a bear even with the whole thing on the floor of my garage.
    Taking the trans yoke off to replace the rear seal is difficult too. 1/2 impact wrench and home made holding tool was required to free the nut and this all took a lot of time.
    I replaced the center bearing on the driveshaft. More time and creative bolt loosening required. Use the right type of bearing puller for this or risk damaging the bolt threads like I did!
    I replaced the rear main on the engine and the coolant plate gasket at the back of the engine.
    Pulling the pilot bearing was a task - could not find a puller small enough for the 5/8 ID of the bearing - used the wet paper towel and punch method (look it up on youtube) which is very slow but it works!
    I replaced the flywheel. You need the special offset tool to access the socket head bolts. Holding the flywheel to loosen the bolts is tricky without a special tool. My workaround was to wedge a long pry bar between the flywheel teeth and the driveway at the 9 o'clock position. Worked great for both loosening and tightening (on the opposite side)!
    Putting the trans back in was another wrestling match that nearly broke me but I got it! The trans jack is crucial here to adjust the angle of the pitch and roll. My driveway is slightly sloped so I had gravity working against me the whole way!
    Finally reinstalling the exhaust by myself was quite difficult even with jack stands supporting it - a lot of down and up from under the car to align it to the exhaust manifold studs.

Plan for at least ten trips to and from the parts/tool store and you will forget to order all the parts you need ahead of time so if you get parts online like I do you will have delays waiting for them.

Looking back it was a big job for me but not being in a hurry certainly helped.
    I feel for you. I'd have given up under your circumstance.

Luckily, I have a lift and it still took me a week.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Thanks for the detailed answer. I did the same job on my 88 sixer a few years back, so I have the tranny jack still. Time is my challenge. I travel a lot for work, so weekends (if not still away) is spent playing catch up on the wife's version (house/garden) of our "like to/need to" list we all have for our cars.

Cheers!
    Current
    2001 540i 6sp. Dinan Muffler and CAI
    2007 Lincoln Navigator

Former
    1988 635 CSi
    1971 Triumph 1300 TC

Aviation is 100% Successful
    "we've never left one up there"

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6spd
    Looking at your profile description and reading your last post it sounds like we may be leading parallel lives. The 540 is sort of a second vehicle for me. I have an 04 Jeep GC and my wife has a 2018 Mini Cooper S. My son just started driving in the last year so that put pressure on keeping the Bimmer operating. I taught him how to drive a stick in that car. The clutch had been slipping for last couple years (not related to my son) so that's how long a gestation period this job had. Staying true to form as soon as I was done with the clutch I found the passenger side window regulator failed - I didn't know that window was related to the clutch slave cylinder? The suspension bushings were already on the repair list. And, to rube more salt in it, I just had a breakdown yesterday morning. I towed it my local Indy. He just told me he found I blew the #2 sparkplug out of the cylinder taking the coil out with it! If I'm lucky he can heli-coil the head in place, if not...???

Is there a therapist I can see about this destructive passion I have for this car?