Thread: Problems with sound system

My Cars
    2000 740I

Problems with sound system

Hey all. This is my first post here, but I’ve been an avid reader of the forum for a while. Thanks for all the help!

My issue is my stereo. I bought the car a year ago. The p/o said the amplifier was blown, and I’ve finally gotten around to addressing it. So basically, unless the radio fuse is removed, there is a buzzing sound from the speakers. It gets louder if the radio is turned on but is present when turned off as well. I got a used amp from a guy today. His car has NAV and dsp like mine. His was a 2001, mine is a 2000, both 740i.

The new amp is a bit different though. The connections are the same, but it’s slightly larger. When I put that amp in, I get nothing. No sound at all, plus the DSP button on the obc screen is greyed out.

I’m serviceable with a wrench, but the stereo stuff I’m not so familiar with. Any ideas? Does the lack of DSP on the obc screen mean I was sold an incompatible amp?

Any idea what would cause that buzzing sound?

Btw there’s no other sound when my original amp is in. No music plus buzzing. Just buzzing. When new/used amp is in, there’s no sound at all.

I’d appreciate any help.

My Cars
    97 740iL
    Normally buzzing from and audio system is "ground noise" from the vehicle. Not sure if the DSP button has anything to do with it. But it sounds like that amp won't work.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    It may need to be coded. Those amps are used in different platforms, i.e. E39, E38, E53, although I believe it should at least put out sound. Coding usually helps with the quality of the sound if it came from a different model. Have you tried putting your unit in his car to test it?

My Cars
    2000 740I
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    It may need to be coded. Those amps are used in different platforms, i.e. E39, E38, E53, although I believe it should at least put out sound. Coding usually helps with the quality of the sound if it came from a different model. Have you tried putting your unit in his car to test it?

His car had a timing chain guide failure and has been torn apart for parts. I just found a YouTube video in which someone had the same buzzing. They replaced the amp and it fixed the problem.

It appears that the new amp is somehow incompatible. I’m not sure how that’s possible if you have cars with the same NAV and DSP produced in 2000 and 2001.

My Cars
    2000 740I
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdownpdx View Post
    His car had a timing chain guide failure and has been torn apart for parts. I just found a YouTube video in which someone had the same buzzing. They replaced the amp and it fixed the problem.

It appears that the new amp is somehow incompatible. I’m not sure how that’s possible if you have cars with the same NAV and DSP produced in 2000 and 2001.

The mystery continues. This morning I turned the radio on for laughs( replacement amp is still in)and it mysteriously worked! And then, on the way home, the sound went off again. Now the DSP button doesn’t even show up either. Very frustrating!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Had any water leaks into the cabin, particularly on the passenger side?

My Cars
    2000 740I
    I’m happy to say that the new/used amp is now working fine. I have no idea why it didn’t initially, but I’ll take it.