Thread: New member with question

My Cars
    2016 535i, 2016 328i GT

Question New member with question

Hi All,

New member with a 2016 535i purchased 6/2/18, with 20,928 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, three weeks after purchase a "clunking" noise began under the front end and got worse over the next few days. The dealer has replaced, from what I can remember, sway bar end links, control arms, other assorted parts the names of which were unfamiliar to me, and has now had to order new front struts from Germany . On the bright side, I'll have a 2016 with 22k miles and a brand new front end when it's finally finished.

We love the quiet ride and handling of the car - former owners of 5 consecutive MB E350's since 2003, and are looking forward to getting back into our car to enjoy many more comfortable miles. The dealer has me in a "loaner" X2 and I'm 73 years old, so that car (X2) reminds me of a "go kart" from my early teen years. I'm grateful for the loaner but I'll probably need an ambulance by the time the parts arrive from Germany after climbing in and out of that little "buzzbomb" for two weeks.

Now, after all that, here's my question - on my 535i, right under the driver's side HVAC temperature adjustment knob there's a small button (it's on all 3 and 5 series BMWs I've looked at, and the X2 I'm in) but nothing happens when it's pushed. No one at the dealer service desk could tell me what it's for. I even sought out the dealership service foreman for an answer. He looked at it, pushed it like I have done many times, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know". I thought it might be involved with the disassembly procedure if a repair was necessary, but he couldn't confirm that.

It's not a matter of "national security" and I won't lose any sleep over it, but does anyone on the forum know what the button is for? Thanks.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by hoonose View Post
    Hi All,

New member with a 2016 535i purchased 6/2/18, with 20,928 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, three weeks after purchase a "clunking" noise began under the front end and got worse over the next few days. The dealer has replaced, from what I can remember, sway bar end links, control arms, other assorted parts the names of which were unfamiliar to me, and has now had to order new front struts from Germany . On the bright side, I'll have a 2016 with 22k miles and a brand new front end when it's finally finished.

We love the quiet ride and handling of the car - former owners of 5 consecutive MB E350's since 2003, and are looking forward to getting back into our car to enjoy many more comfortable miles. The dealer has me in a "loaner" X2 and I'm 73 years old, so that car (X2) reminds me of a "go kart" from my early teen years. I'm grateful for the loaner but I'll probably need an ambulance by the time the parts arrive from Germany after climbing in and out of that little "buzzbomb" for two weeks.

Now, after all that, here's my question - on my 535i, right under the driver's side HVAC temperature adjustment knob there's a small button (it's on all 3 and 5 series BMWs I've looked at, and the X2 I'm in) but nothing happens when it's pushed. No one at the dealer service desk could tell me what it's for. I even sought out the dealership service foreman for an answer. He looked at it, pushed it like I have done many times, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know". I thought it might be involved with the disassembly procedure if a repair was necessary, but he couldn't confirm that.

It's not a matter of "national security" and I won't lose any sleep over it, but does anyone on the forum know what the button is for? Thanks.
    not a button. Cabin Heat Sensor. I have one too.

My Cars
    2016 535i, 2016 328i GT
    Well I'll be. I would have never guessed that. Problem solved. And it's strange that the service foreman didn't know. Thanks Yodamel.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Good luck with the suspension, and a speedy recovery from getting in and out of the 2 series! Surprised to hear this happening at low miles - my 2013 has 50K on it and is as quiet as when it was new.
    1981 BMW 320i, Ascot Grey with Tan Leatherette, 137K, 5 speed, K&N filter, Ansa Exhaust, Bilstein HD's, Rota RB's, Bumper Tuck.

2013 BMW 535i M Sport, Arctic Silver with Black interior.

1966 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 cc, 56K, Dark Grey on Black, Styled steel wheels, C4 Automatic.

1014 Porsche Cayman S, Black on Black

My Cars
    2016 535i, 2016 328i GT
    Follow up to 8/11/18 front suspension repair post. I picked up my car last week from the dealer and all work was covered by warranty ��. This is copied from Dealer repair work order "replaced bottom wishbones", "replaced left and right front link rods" (test drive revealed clunking noise still present), then "replaced both front struts". So, two weeks and two days later, I have a wonderfully quiet, great driving, 535i with only 23k miles and a brand new front suspension. I agree, it's strange to have that level of suspension failure after so few miles. I'm still taking copious amounts of acetaminophen for the back ache I got climbing in and out of an X2 �� (just kidding). In fairness to the X2, it was quite a nice car but just a little bit "little" for a 73 y/o grandfather ����. United BMW of Roswell, GA was GREAT to work with. I received "status of repair" phonecalls every 2 - 3 days from a United BMW service advisor and I also received an offer to upgrade my "loaner" a week into the "ordeal" but the dealership is 75 miles away and located in a northern suburb of Atlanta, GA (traffic nightmare for me, I live out in the country), so we opted to just continue using the X2. Overall, I'm happy with the repair results and my 535i. I'm enjoying my BMW forum experience and edification, but hope in the future I'll be an "observer" and not sharing "personal" repair experiences.