Thread: Best options to replace valve seals

My Cars
    83 320iS, 16 K1600GTL

Best options to replace valve seals

My '83 iS with 78K original miles is showing signs of leaking valve seals. She's blowing blue/white smoke on startup after sitting for more than an hour or so. It started after I replaced a bad lower timing cover gasket. Would like to avoid pulling the engine if I can, but not sure how I can avoid it.

What do you guys/gals think? If I need to pull the engine so be it, but will need to get my hands on any specific tools first... the one that pops into my head is a clutch alignment tool.

Steve

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    you really don't even have to pull the head.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Blue/white smoke from exhaust may be head gasket needs replacing,,check coolant level, radiator pressure test will tell you if coolant is getting thru the head gasket to the cylinders,dont have to pull the motor to change the head gasket, just the head and typically the intake manifold with it. I ran radiator sealant for over a year before I changed mine out, I got the cylinder head rebuilt as well with viton valve stem seals.

Problems with cars just start,,process of elimination finds the problem every time.

Changing Valve stem seals is another job entirely, when mine had pulled back I was burning oil a lot, like a quart or two per month. Viton valve stem seals is your friend, nitrile ones go out a lot sooner, typical head gasket kits, stem seals are green--nitrile.

Changing valve stem seal is done one cylinder at a time preferably when both valves are unloaded-closed-cam lobes pointing downward- not contacting the rocker arms, pressure hose is inserted into the spark plug hole by an adapter to keep the valves in place when removing the keepers,spring and cap by air pressure, then a tool pulls off the old valve stem seal and new one is put on,,old school uses a rag stuffed in spark plug hole to keep the valves from falling thru and then remove and replace the valve stem seals,, several variations, high test fishing line attached to the end of the valves and so forth.

As too valve stem seal holding the valve securely to attach the valve stem seal to the valve guide, I would not trust it to hold it,, some are secure and some are light wipe, make sure it wont fall thru

Off the topic I have looking into bare metal to clear coat, bc/cc system- PPG( shopline,Nexa,Deltron,Global Refinish, ect) Dupont-Axalta-Cromax, Martin Senours, and Sherman Williams--tons of goodies here, the paint color will be the original car paint- BMW 149--Light blue in the shade and silver in the sun due to the metallic chips in the paint,,all 4 above have the formula code for BMW 149 to get the original color shift that metallic imparts. $4,000 plus valve paint job done by me on my car for a lot less--no problem, dont tell anybody okay, I learned from the best to do anything less would be uncivilized.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 08-11-2018 at 03:37 PM.

My Cars
    83 320iS, 16 K1600GTL
    Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Blue/white smoke from exhaust may be head gasket needs replacing,,check coolant level, radiator pressure test will tell you if coolant is getting thru the head gasket to the cylinders,dont have to pull the motor to change the head gasket, just the head and typically the intake manifold with it. I ran radiator sealant for over a year before I changed mine out, I got the cylinder head rebuilt as well with viton valve stem seals.

Changing Valve stem seals is another job entirely, when mine had pulled back I was burning oil a lot, like a quart or two per month. Viton valve stem seals is your friend, nitrile ones go out a lot sooner.

Randy
    I’ve refreshed the cooling system and it only blows smoke for a few seconds after start, that’s what leads me to thinks it’s the seals. I have new seals, but can’t see how to replace them without pulling the head or the whole engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Is there a play-by-play in the faq that I missed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Is there a play-by-play in the faq that I missed?

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Oh I see, you don't have to pull the head; you just have to pull all the internals from the head? Videos help.

Longer one:

Last edited by dups; 08-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 82 320i
    Having the same issue, good to know the head doesn't have to be removed. Guessing the cam needs to come off ?