RM European Auto Parts

Thread: BMW X5 irritating clicking sound

My Cars
    BMW X5

BMW X5 irritating clicking sound

Got an X5 2007, 230000 kms. Been well taken cared of and done all maintenance etc over the years and had few problems. Since a couple of years, and mainly in summer here in the hot sunny Spain, when I drive with the windows down I keep hearing a clicking sound from outside, and it sounds more from the front passenger window. No mechanic has been able to find out what is wrong. The sounds comes and goes, the speed doesn’t matter, breaking doesn’t change things, and the sound is almost metallic. Have changed break pads various times since I first heard it, and still there. Maybe I hear it more in summer because I drive with windows down, or maybe something expands with the heat? Here can be up to 45c in summer. Thankful for any ideas.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Please describe the clicking noise. Does it occur more frequently when the car is going faster? Does it occur when you’re:
    - applying the brakes
    - turning the car left or right
    - accelerating?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Not hearing the noise it is hard to speculate but I am reminded of the time a loose windshield molding was making noise that I COULD NOT figure out.
    That is until one day I was using the windshield wipers and the noise stopped. Apparently the airflow over the wipers in the parked position only would cause a vibration.
    So, it costs nothing to check all your exterior moldings for fit and tightness.
    Hope you find it

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I had a similarly hard to find rattle in my E46. The car was in warranty. The dealer hunted for the source, replaced a few parts. No change. I finally discovered the problem: the grab handle over the passenger door was the culprit. It’s retracting spring wasn’t strong enough to prevent the handle from rattling over certain types of bumps. Dealer replaced it. Years later the replacement started doing the same thing. Removed the handle and put the little plastic plates over the holes.