Thread: Lower timing case help

My Cars
    2001/740i

Lower timing case help

I could use some assistance. I am currently working on my timing chain guides and I am trying to remove A.C,oil cooler,and power steering. I have been following various write ups but still stumped.

IMG_20180809_153756.jpg
    IMG_20180809_153807.jpg

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    So what "assistance" do you need? Also, I don't recall removing A/C compressor to remove the lower timing cover. Read this: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/876903

Google and YouTube are your best friend! I watched the videos made by this guy and it helped me tremendously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntmS14asMM

He has it broken down it parts, so find the video (e.g. part 1, part 2, etc.) appropriate to your step and watch it, several times, until you get a good idea of what needs to be done. (Note that part 1 and 2 are a little slow, but then it gets better once he digs in)

Also a tip for when removing the lower timing cover: take a medium-large piece of cardboard and make a rough sketch of the cover (looks like letter Y) and then as you remove bolts, poke them through the cardboard in similar locations where they were bolted on (step #22 in the 1st link). This will help you keep the bolts separate from each other since they are different in size (diameter) AND length.
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    2001/740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskii View Post
    So what "assistance" do you need? Also, I don't recall removing A/C compressor to remove the lower timing cover. Read this: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/876903

Google and YouTube are your best friend! I watched the videos made by this guy and it helped me tremendously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntmS14asMM

He has it broken down it parts, so find the video (e.g. part 1, part 2, etc.) appropriate to your step and watch it, several times, until you get a good idea of what needs to be done. (Note that part 1 and 2 are a little slow, but then it gets better once he digs in)

Also a tip for when removing the lower timing cover: take a medium-large piece of cardboard and make a rough sketch of the cover (looks like letter Y) and then as you remove bolts, poke them through the cardboard in similar locations where they were bolted on (step #22 in the 1st link). This will help you keep the bolts separate from each other since they are different in size (diameter) AND length.
    Thanks for the tip I will look into that

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    The power steering pump has a support stud at the back of the pump. Remove the nut and pull forward. It's in part 4 of the vid mentioned above, at the 3 minute mark or so, not very clear.
    The support stud has two nuts, one in front of the mounting boss, one behind. On reassembly after cleaning, back the forward nut toward the pump, torque the
    front bolts to spec then turn the forward nut on the stud until it hits the boss, just snug. Then install the rear nut and torque.
    This is the support for the pump to offset belt tension. if left loose or not installed the front mounting ears can snap, damaging the belt drive and causing other associated damage.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Another tip,

The lower timing cover sits on the upper oil pan gasket, which you can easily break when removing the lower timing cover. My suggestion is before you try and remove the cover, tap on it several times with a hammer slightly to loosen the gasket from the cover, then when removing the cover, have some upward force on it to lift it slightly (like less than 1 mm) as you slide it off the crank. when installing, use black gasket maker on the corner of the engine block and upper oil pan at least.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)