Thread: What equipment do I need to service my AC?

My Cars
    FORD F350

What equipment do I need to service my AC?

91 M5. I want to evap all the freon and disconnect a hose near the compressor and clean out the screen. Then refill with correct amount and test both high and low pressures.

What all do I need to do this correctly?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Call a local mobile AC service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Vacuum pump, gauge set, refrigerant scale, leak detector and an education on how to properly charge the system. Probably a new drier too.
    Unless you plan on doing this a lot you'll be better served by seeing a pro and paying the fee.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    You need ac in Alaska?
    demet

My Cars
    2010 BMW M5
    subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Vacuum pump, gauge set, refrigerant scale, leak detector and an education on how to properly charge the system. Probably a new drier too.
    Unless you plan on doing this a lot you'll be better served by seeing a pro and paying the fee.
    I would say at this point system need to be completely taken apart and even if all working all 0-rings and dryer need to be replaced.
    Good time to convert to R134a

Pump + gauges can be bought cheap from HF. Scales is not absolutely necessary, can be filled "approximately" For example, 1550 grams +-50gr needed. 12Oz can = 340gr. So, car needs 4.84cans. Just fill with 5 cans and you will be OK

This all (taking apart, flushing, reassembly) will probably cost $1k+ in labor. If OP feels like he can do it - I'd say go for it.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    I would say at this point system need to be completely taken apart and even if all working all 0-rings and dryer need to be replaced.
    Good time to convert to R134a
    I would never start with this invasive of a procedure. That's like finding one weak bushing and without checking the rest, ordering an entire suspension refresh kit.

Is it likely you will find other weaknesses? Yes. Might you be throwing away lots of money to replace perfectly serviceable components? Also yes.

Pressure check the thing, first, and see what you're working with.

I agree a conversion to R134a is a good idea, unless you have that rare resource of a reliable and affordable R12 supplier.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I would never start with this invasive of a procedure. That's like finding one weak bushing and without checking the rest, ordering an entire suspension refresh kit.
    Those o-rings 25 years old. Cost pennies and system already open. Me personally - I did exactly that - replaced all suspension components at once in my car. I didn't feel like my time worth going there multiple times and wanted to start from scratch.

Every case is different though. If history of AC was known - it would be different. But now - I would make sure everything clean and tight. Couple hours of work worth it.

My Cars
    FORD F350
    The AC has been converted to R134A and recharged but would only blow sort of "cool" for about 5 minutes. My low pressure was way too high and the tech from Bavarian Professionals suggested a screen in one of the hoses may be clogged up. So I'd like to get it cleaned out and recharge, then see what happens.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Those o-rings 25 years old. Cost pennies and system already open. Me personally - I did exactly that - replaced all suspension components at once in my car. I didn't feel like my time worth going there multiple times and wanted to start from scratch.

Every case is different though. If history of AC was known - it would be different. But now - I would make sure everything clean and tight. Couple hours of work worth it.
    "System is already open" is a very different thing than "every hose and fitting is already removed". We're talking a ton of easily-stripped, tough-to-access components, here.

I agree 100% that anytime you have reason to remove or disconnect an AC component, you should replace the O-rings. Good practice.

I've had cars that needed every major A/C component replaced despite having a "known history"; and then others that never worked under my ownership, and one replaced component (with new O-rings at that component only) was all that it needed to hold pressure and blow cold for years.

A good shop, or guide, a pressure and leak test will tell you exactly what you may need to replace.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by COLT601 View Post
    The AC has been converted to R134A and recharged but would only blow sort of "cool" for about 5 minutes. My low pressure was way too high and the tech from Bavarian Professionals suggested a screen in one of the hoses may be clogged up. So I'd like to get it cleaned out and recharge, then see what happens.
    Not saying it's not true but I haven't seen screens in hoses before... Dryer is the only "filter" in a system AFAIK. But maybe E34 is different.. I did repair handful of AC systems but not AC technicial by any means.
    Low pressure is high.. What does it mean? How is high pressure? Maybe compressor is out?

If screen clogged, then I would ask WHAT clogged it? There should be nothing in a system that can clog any screens. And if there is - it would be shavings/etc from burnt compressor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    "System is already open" is a very different thing than "every hose and fitting is already removed". We're talking a ton of easily-stripped, tough-to-access components, here.

I agree 100% that anytime you have reason to remove or disconnect an AC component, you should replace the O-rings. Good practice.

I've had cars that needed every major A/C component replaced despite having a "known history"; and then others that never worked under my ownership, and one replaced component (with new O-rings at that component only) was all that it needed to hold pressure and blow cold for years.

A good shop, or guide, a pressure and leak test will tell you exactly what you may need to replace.
    What you say is all logical and makes total sense when you pay shop to repair it. But my labor is free to a degree and I work on this car for fun. To me it makes sense to make sure everything flushed, checked and recharged. My AC leaking somewhere, wasn't able to pinpoint with sniffer I have, so I just put some refrigerant to go through the summer. In a winter I will do exactly that. Flush/clean everything and replace every o-ring. From what I see - every hose/connection acessible from under the hood, should be no big deal. Plus, AC clutch seem to make noise, will replace bearing as well. Evaporator is my fear. If I have to go there - orifice tube will be replaced just because.
    Last edited by katit2; 08-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Correctly? A $4000 AC charge machine that can recover refrigerant, separate oil from it, weigh them, apply a vacuum, and recharge the refrigerant with the correct amount of oil. Autozone/Harbor Fright tools can do a vacuum and a charge, but not recovery. It takes a little training to use one of the $4k devices, and to do it legally you also need EPA certification. It helps to have a leak sniffer too.

I used to work in a shop and was trained to use such a machine. Since then I've tried to do my own AC and learned that proper recovery is impossible without one, and you can't rent one anywhere I've seen.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Correctly? A $4000 AC charge machine that can recover refrigerant, separate oil from it, weigh them, apply a vacuum, and recharge the refrigerant with the correct amount of oil. Autozone/Harbor Fright tools can do a vacuum and a charge, but not recovery. It takes a little training to use one of the $4k devices, and to do it legally you also need EPA certification. It helps to have a leak sniffer too.

I used to work in a shop and was trained to use such a machine. Since then I've tried to do my own AC and learned that proper recovery is impossible without one, and you can't rent one anywhere I've seen.
    EXACTLY why I said what I said. You can do pretty good job yourself. BUT. You need to take some stuff apart and flush whole system. Not as hard as it sounds.
    Then put required amount of oil in components and you good.

Those machines do not remove all oil from a system, should remember that! Any system that is not factory sealed - I don't trust. People use crazy "self sealing" cans, add oil with dye, etc. You can never count on system containing correct amount to begin with.

My Cars
    E34T
    Oh yeah, stay the hell away from stop-leak type products, in general, but especially in an AC system. Dye, however, is standard practice, safe (if correct dye), and a very good idea.
    Last edited by moroza; 08-10-2018 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    FORD F350
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post

I found this AC machine locally on Craigslist

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls...622264294.html

Assuming it functions, would that be everything I need to do it correctly?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I am wondering if those machines were available in 1991

My Cars
    E34T
    That one looks like it's from 1991. And yes, it'll do what OP needs it to, but it better come with instructions.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    On the all my cars I do the following.

Take the system apart and flush everything including condenser and evaporator.
    Replace the expansion valve.
    Replace the drier. $30 https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...69-MFG326.aspx
    Sanden 508 compressor $120 from ebay.
    Custom Sanden compressor brackets $40. I have a couple of sets left.
    Build 2 hoses. You can get them done for $35 each at coldhose.com or you can make your own.
    Add 5 oz ester oil to system. $10
    Fill with 3 cans of r152a. $4 each. r152a has similar performance to r12 and is so environmentally friendly you can vent it to atmo. Google it.

Tools:
    gauge set, I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vacuum pump, I use this one https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket...70_&dpSrc=srch
    but this one works fine also https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-1550...70_&dpSrc=srch

ac hose crimper, I use his one https://www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-71550-Black-Manual-Crimper/dp/B000WBQ4U2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1533992766&sr= 1-1&keywords=ac+hose+crimper&dpID=51YU0d77rML&preST= _SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

All this for a fraction of the cost oem.

cheers.
    demet

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Build 2 hoses. You can get them done for $35 each at coldhose.com or you can make your own.

ac hose crimper, I use his one All this for a fraction of the cost oem.

cheers.
    Hi! Can you elaborate on why would you build new hoses? Where do you get rubber hose and ends to crimp?
    And why replace compressor? I'm sorry I don't know details but I guess there is a common know how for AC restoration in E34? Mine is R134a already (94')

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Hi! Can you elaborate on why would you build new hoses? Where do you get rubber hose and ends to crimp?
    And why replace compressor? I'm sorry I don't know details but I guess there is a common know how for AC restoration in E34? Mine is R134a already (94')
    I was replying to colt601 and his M5 which has a similar setup to the my m30 in my 89 535. The m30 has these types of older style fittings,

The fittings are readily available from many places. Your 94 has the newer style fittings. Not sure where you would get them, but usually if you need a new hose then you can use the existing fittings from your old hose and make a new hose out of them.
    Last edited by demetk; 08-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    demet