Thread: Rogue Engineering Front Control Arm Bushings

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster

Rogue Engineering Front Control Arm Bushings

I was just looking at these Rogue Engineering Front Control Arm Bushings, anybody have experience with these?

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogu...E46_p_100.html
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Looks like a nice part. Better than the delrin stuff thats out there.
    Or go one step further.

https://slrspeed.com/products/bmw-ad...12122035126366
    Stay OEM if you are street only. This just messes with noise and ride quality for a street car. You will not likely limit a good condition OEM CA bushing under normal or even spirited street use.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    These nearly solid-mount bushings are going to ruin your street ride comfort. If you desire an upgrade, I would suggest the "Street Performance" version of the Powerflex LCA bushings. You can go with the offset version to get more caster. You can order these through me, as I'm a retailer for BimmerWorld. Let me know if I can help. (email Anthony@DriveFasterNow.com)
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerflex...-PFF5-303.html

If you don't want to have to press or cut out your old bushings, you can get them already in the new lollipops:
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerflex...shing-Kit.html
    Last edited by Z3SpdDmn; 08-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    These nearly solid-mount bushings are going to ruin your street ride comfort. If you desire an upgrade, I would suggest the "Street Performance" version of the Powerflex LCA bushings. You can go with the offset version to get more caster. You can order these through me, as I'm a retailer for BimmerWorld. Let me know if I can help. (email Anthony@DriveFasterNow.com)
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerflex...-PFF5-303.html

If you don't want to have to press or cut out your old bushings, you can get them already in the new lollipops:
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerflex...shing-Kit.html
    I have heard powerflex LCAs had some issues at one point in time, plenty of posts on the e46 forums of people having them disintegrate. But looking at the rogue website for the e30/e36 they have street versions which have a metal surround with a polyurethane center. Why would that be considerably worse than Powerflex or AKG or any other polyurethane bushing, the portion that the control arm goes through is more or less the same. Just the surround is metal, which seems like a safer bet to me as far as potential failure goes.

The rogue bushings have an exchangeable inner portion anyways, since you can order replacement inserts on their own...
    Last edited by Luftwaffe1O1; 08-14-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I have heard powerflex LCAs had some issues at one point in time, plenty of posts on the e46 forums of people having them disintegrate. But looking at the rogue website for the e30/e36 they have street versions which have a metal surround with a polyurethane center. Why would that be considerably worse than Powerflex or AKG or any other polyurethane bushing, the portion that the control arm goes through is more or less the same. Just the surround is metal, which seems like a safer bet to me as far as potential failure goes.

The rogue bushings have an exchangeable inner portion anyways, since you can order replacement inserts on their own...
    The metal in the bushing serves no purpose other than to reduce the amount of compliance in the bushing. I would not even recommend the Track Performance PowerFlex bushings for street use. I just put them in my Z3 and quickly realized that they were too much.

LCA bushings are a large contributor (or isolator) to impact harshness. Allowing wheel regression (rearward movement) upon impact significantly reduces the vertical acceleration and, as a result, harshness. Of course, it's a trade-off to steering response. I would recommend the Street Performance rates for a street-driven car, though. It's a significant upgrade to steering/handling/braking response, but won't be as abusive to you if you're driving on anything other than glass-smooth road.
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    The Track Performance PowerFlex bushings for street use. I just put them in my Z3 and quickly realized that they were too much.
    Can you expand on this? There have been many people that seem to like the powerflex.
    Also If have powerflex please leave a comment about your experience.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Powerflex have 2 different materials in their bushing range, purple for street use and black (stiffer again) for track use.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    z3
    Bubba, may also help if you explain your intended use for the car. Daily driver, weekend canyon carver or dedicated track rats all have very different suspension needs

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Bubba, may also help if you explain your intended use for the car. Daily driver, weekend canyon carver or dedicated track rats all have very different suspension needs
    BimmerBreaker I'm just upgrading my 90/95% street DD.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    Can you expand on this? There have been many people that seem to like the powerflex.
    Also If have powerflex please leave a comment about your experience.
    The harshness from front-end impacts is a little high for a street car. I'd recommend the purple "street performance" rates for a bit more compliance. It's still going to be a big upgrade from stock. Especially worn out stock bushings!
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Another option is to use the e36 M3 control arm bushing. M3 bushings are firmer than standard bushing (solid rubber vs. webbed design), but not as stiff as urethane. These bushings can be pressed in easily with a shop press.

I have run both power flex and M3 control arm bushings in e36/e46's and z3 cars. Both are an upgrade over standard. Ride quality ranking: stock > M3 > urethane > delrin > spherical bearing. Spherical bearing would be the most performance oriented by design, but have the least about of deflection over bumps. If you use urethane, grease them well...
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ