Thread: M50b30 turbo,rhd manifold,turbo?

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup

M50b30 turbo,rhd manifold,turbo?

Hi,my name's Alex and I'm from the UK.
    I would appreciate anyone's help on some questions I have,I have loads but will try not to ramble on.me and a friend are building my m50b30 turbo,so far i have-
    Iron block-skimmed 6thou
    M54b30 crank
    135mm h-beam rods
    M54b30 piston s
    Total seal piston rings (gapless top)
    King race bearings main&rod
    M50b25 head skimmed.valves done
    Supertech stem seals
    M54b30 intake cam
    M52b28 exhaust cam
    New water pump
    Febi Upper&lower timing chain kit
    Arp main and rod studs

I Will also be using Athena cut ring and arp head studs,and meth advice here please lol.
    I have been doing this project for around 3 years,even built a garage to build the car in lol.im no mechanic,just a bricklayer with a huge obsession for beamers lol and cars in general.im at the point now where I want to purchase my exhaust manifold and downpipe.it has been hard in the UK for manifolds and for the past few years I hunt and find more options for a manifold but never a downpipe.

Elite-developments have one,it's a log manifold with downpipe for around £750 I think,also a company called k64 do them stainless steel for £440 but without downpipe.now another seller going by the of pssperformance on ebay,has many manifolds and 4 of them for rhd e36.

Mild steel single scroll £550
    Ss single scroll £700
    Mild steel twin scroll £700
    Ss twin scroll £700
    T3 or t4 flanges
    All come with a 3" downpipe for extra £350 to clear rack and all top mount.😆
    Now the tricky bit lol,I would love to get around 550-600whp with meth and 100ron fuel.im sure many people will say no chance and may be right,but I've read about so many people hitting these figures on nearly stock engines and with parts I'm using. so I think I should be in with a chance going that extra mile on my parts.
    My main concern and what is making my head explode is manifold.i think I have to buy from pssperformance as there the only company selling with downpipes,just what do I go for,single or twin scroll.is it worth it,more hassle than it's worth etc.. for my power aims.t3 or t4 flange.what turbo?
    I've always thought I was Gona use gt3582r
    Now think maybe hx40 super.so many choices and options.ideally dont want to spend silly money on turbo but understand the "you get what you pay for" thing.

I do understand all about what I'm doing but,also don't understand so much lol. but I do learn fast and this is not a 5 minute thing.i want to do it right first time and would appreciate anyone's help on this.
    Thanks Alex.

My Cars
    86 325es
    For your goals on pump gas your going to want to lower the compression. Either with aftermarket pistons or buy adding the copper spacer under the Athena gasket. Don’t forget a clutch and ecu tune, fuel system, drivetrain ect... 550 whp on a dynojet should not be a problem. For the manifold do stainless steel for sure and I would do a T4 twin scroll since it’s the same price. I personally would get an S362sx-e for your goals. Your going to need somebody to build an exhaust and intercooler piping anyway so don’t get to hung up on a downpipe.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup
    Hi some guy,thanks for replying so fast,I've seen your name many times as I've read so many threads lol.Athena gasket is the way I'm heading so thanks for confirming that,i did look at pistons but,i have to settle for what i have sometimes lol.i would love pistons,better cams,valve springs,twin disk clutch etc.. but dont have the moneyz hehe.i did import total seal rings tho which cost £260.dont think i could of got better rings as i read rings was one of the weakest points boosting m54b30 internals. i have a friend who can make my exhaust for me,but said it would be alot easier if I got manifold and downpipe made as will proberly probably cost the same anyway?. I am thinking 3" downpipe then into 3.5" exhaust.ecu wise there's a few options link,mega squirt,vems etc.. some people saying I can get my 413 ecu tuned but think standalone is much better.something I've got to look into.
    Drivetrain is Gona be e36 m3 with 5 speed zf box.i have my brakes now,porshe 911 4 pots all round.just need adapters.clutch I'm having trouble with,found one on ebay,brand name-(compition clutch) stage 4 6 paddle ceramic,says it works up To 250% increase in tourqe. £450 without flywheel.any advice on clutch would be appreciated.intercooler piping I can
    Get from a shop in uk.thanks alex

My Cars
    E30
    I have a M50b30 stroker turbo engine ,with totally M54b30 oem internals and I m having 600whp with 95oct + Meth inj
    but I m using MLS 0.140 to lower CR and a huge turbo 6764 holset with US M3 cams 3.5" Dp and Exhaust

A friend of mine in England has the same setup ,with holset hx40/35 hybrid on 98 ron is getting 550 whp ( he is using PSSP TS mani +3" Dp and Exhaust )
    he has M54b30 intake came too

both are E30
    both on OEM M54b30 internals
    both have after market ecu

His Dyno Carl Dyno 2.jpg
    Last edited by JOMARO; 08-10-2018 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup
    Hi jomaro,thanks for replying.
    It's good to know that someone's using there manifold and downpipe.is your friend from England using there single or twin scroll.i really like the idea of twin scroll manifold just £600 in wastegates puts me off haha.also what ecu are you both running,that's some serious power from stock internals.👍 thanks for your time.
    Also what clutch/flywheel are you both running.

My Cars
    E30
    My friend used the PSSP twin scroll , single WG Cast manifold only , he fabricated the down pipe
    he is using as Far as I recall Emtron ECu
    618 pressure plate + 5 puck sintered disc from a local shop at his area + m20 Flywheel
    Me:
    Using MSPro3 ECU
    F1 racing stage 4 ( I think it is on its limits ) + Chrome Flywheel ( I.e get a stronger clutch )
    (I also bought a PSSP Twin scroll single WG Cast manifold , Just installed it , waiting for some re-tune )
    N.B : Although the PSSP mani looks solid ,and tough , I m not happy with the turbo placement ,had to use alot of washers on my engine mounts cause the mani used to hit the chassis , hell to route the oil drain lines , hell to route the turbo piping

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup
    Hi jomaro thanks for the info👍
    Thats a shame with the manifold,are you running top mount?. That info concerns me now as realistically I'd need to re-route 2xwaste gates back the the exhaust aswell,not that I'd want to.😆
    I'm not sure how to upload photos to show the one I'm looking at,maybe not enough posts yet?.. I also can't find a single wastegate on there twin scroll.?.was it made to order.thanks for your help mate.

My Cars
    E30
    Pm me so I can send you photos

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup
    Limitations for new members:

10 posts and 7 days of registration = PM option becomes available.
    15 posts - they get the ability to use images, smilies & URLs
    10 days - they get off-topic access

Hi mate I can't pm you yet because of these rules,so maybe I can zap you for some more info 😆 in the mean time lol.

Ummmm... just read one of your other about ur turbo sizes etc..cant beleave you got to 650whp on oem parts,that's insane.maybe I should shoot for a bit more than 600 haha.think I might change my cams to m3? Will m54b30 intake and m52b28 exhaust work well enough for over 600whp.
    Was thinking of 68mm bb throttle body but,seen your using m60 if I remember right.all things I need to consider to get the most from my build.

My Cars
    E30
    I reached 650whp /577 lbft on the dyno , but we backed it to 600 whp /540 lbft
    I dont drive the car much so I cant tell about durability
    A 600 whp E30 is MORE than Enough , Actually it is SCARY ,Still figuring out how to make this power hook up to the street
    I guess if you used M50 Non Vanos Rods you can go for 650 whp
    about the cams I m not an expert , I think there are better guys to help you more

My advise to you , is plan for bigger power than you intend to run ( you ll get addicted and want to increase boost at the end)
    I was planning to have a 400whp e30 and here I m pushing the limits of my setup

My Cars
    E36 328 Sport , E92 M3
    Hi there
    I’m also based in the UK and currently building my e36 M50B31TU turbo. I will be following closely on any updates and choice of manifold/management/turbo you will be going with to achieve your goals. 👌
    Patrick

My Cars
    E30
    My friend is trying a new Combination now
    stock 2JZ pistons (86mm)
    133 prisma rods
    m54b30 cr
    US S50 Cams
    he is located in UK too
    with 6364 holset
    he just did his first start , lets see how this combination work

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup
    Hi guys, thought I would give a quick update.

I now manifold, full 3" exhaust system, turbo, twin disk clutch and most engine parts now just need head studs, gasket and inlet manifold. It has taken forever as my car was originally a 1.6 I have had to change everything, but its been fun.🤔

I have some more questions. Will a s50b30 gearbox work with my m50. Also there is no gear linkage with it can I use others with it as will be hard to find one from s50b30?

I also need a inlet manifold, most m50b25 ones are around £250. On Ebay there are now Chinese copy plenums with a 80mm throttle body for which are cable driven. How do people make them work?
    Many thanks

My Cars
    1990 325i
    If your're referring to s50b30 US model 5 speed ZF will work, as well as 6 speed euro getrag. For my set up in my e30 I used zf shift linkage (328i/m3) If you need an M50 manifold I have an extra one I could sell you for a fair price Plus shipping. for TB cable if you're doing this set up with an e30 than you want e34 m50 throttle cable.

My Cars
    Bmw e36,e30 & 280bhp cup
    [QUOTE=E30s50dude;30287545]If your're referring to s50b30 US model 5 speed ZF will work, as well as 6 speed euro getrag. For my set up in my e30 I used zf shift linkage (328i/m3) If you need an M50 manifold I have an extra one I could sell you for a fair price Plus shipping. for TB cable if you're doing this set up with an e30 than you want e34 m50 throttle cable

thanks for replying to me, appreciate that. regarding the inlet manifold its for my e36. i really like the idea of having a plenum with the 80mm throttle body but am unsure how hard it will be to adapt to work. would it be worth it or just stick with m50b25 inlet manifold. i have got another spare head now so will put better valves/springs/cams/porting at a latter date. for now will be running stock head with m54b30 and m52b28 cams

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    The stock M50B25 intake manifold should be sufficient to hand 500-600hp, but I don't have any personal experience. Almost finished turboing my M50B25, and using the stock inlet manifold though I'll only be shooting for 350~hp

My Cars
    bmw e36
    Quote Originally Posted by JOMARO View Post
    My friend is trying a new Combination now
    stock 2JZ pistons (86mm)
    133 prisma rods
    m54b30 cr
    US S50 Cams
    he is located in UK too
    with 6364 holset
    he just did his first start , lets see how this combination work
    m50 block?

My Cars
    E30
    Quote Originally Posted by mikyyy View Post
    m50 block?
    yes

My Cars
    bmw e36
    Quote Originally Posted by JOMARO View Post
    yes
    what cr did he get? he had to deck the block a lot?