RM European Auto Parts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel injectors cleaning

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    And, no, sorry Breeze, I did not make a mistake. The S38 injectors are way too small. That is indeed an S38 B36 report. I didn't design it. They seem to work perfectly, for every S38 B36 owner; I cannot explain why.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Read this from their website, scroll down to the bottom:https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/History
    I see that. The fellow in one of the photos pulling down on a lever is using the same set up I did 40 years ago. It is a pump that will operate mechanical injectors. I forget the pressure they operated at but it was thousands of PSI. A good one would hum as it rapidly opened (with the fuel pressure) and closed(spring pressure overcoming the dropping fuel pressure)and produce a fog of diesel. I suspect the grinding equipment they mention is also used on such injectors and not "ours".
    The shop I worked at had a proprietary machine designed by the owner that could lap several needle & seat sets at once.
    Seems RC does a comprehensive job of it but I don't think "our" injectors get any machining.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I believe your right according to this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfH51Ax-rE

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    I believe your right according to this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfH51Ax-rE
    Watching that video I see the test rig they are using close up. Not the same as I used long ago, completely different and for a different purpose.
    Interesting to watch as the spray patterns proudly exhibited by these low pressure injectors would be pitiful in the diesel world. I imagine the direct injection in use now would be more comparable as they need to overcome cylinder pressure too, just less of it than in diesels.
    All this makes me wonder why no very high pressure injection on gas engines before.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    What, 18,000 psi doesn't float your boat?

I'm sure Mazda's got some really good diesel guys on staff now, since they're introducing gasoline compression ignition this year.

All in the name of keeping internal combustion alive.

May the force be with them. I'm kind of planning to drive big N/A engines myself. I'm not tired of the engine I have now....and there's always the V10.....

....yes, sure, an extra 150 HP wouldn't be wasted, but then I'd have to fix the damned thing a lot.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    All this makes me wonder why no very high pressure injection on gas engines before.
    Probably because that was not needed from an emissions standards standpoint and not suitable from an economical one. In the US and other parts of the globe, where gas prices are low enough, economic cars have been powered by small displacement gasoline engines, whereas in Europe and other countries with much higher prices than the US, this role has belonged to diesel powered cars. Things are changing now because of increasingly stringent standards on CO2 emissions and because diesels will not be sustainable for a very long time as their Nox particles have a direct impact on health (the "only" impact co2 has is global warming).

All this might have been fueled (pun intended) by the recent dieselgate.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    While traveling memory lane and searching for a video of mechanical injector testing I found this clever guy who dummied up his own(dangerous!) rig.
    So, for anyone interested;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggsPoNESw70

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12