Thread: How hard is too hard to drive?

My Cars
    2003 3.0 Z4

How hard is too hard to drive?

Hi guys,

I bought a 2003 3.0 z4 about a week ago, 80k. I know these cars cannot be babied too much, they have to be "driven". Where is the line drawn however?

What's the definition of driving hard? I personally try to rarely go over 5k rmp. I even hate the way Sport mode will seem to keep you revved over 3k longer than necessary. The downshifts seem a little harsh as well in sport mode. What is your definition of drving hard? How often do you drive hard?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Don't put to much into the driving hard myth.
    I think there is a lot of myth out there about what cars actually need to maintain them.

It is good for any vehicle to be driven for an extended period of time. If the engine and components are not given a chance to warm up thoroughly, you'll find that carbon build-up and moisture will be left behind where you really don't want it to occur (in the oil and crank case most notably). Does this mean you need to once in a while drive the performance vehicle like a raped banshee to "clean the carbon out"? Not at all. If the car is ran up to operating temperature on a regular basis (a minimum of once a month) and driven for a good set of miles (30+), you should have no issue with the car other than normal maintenance and should expect the vehicle to perform when you want it to perform.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Skip the 'Sport Mode'. It seems to function better when the car is being driven at 9/10s. There's no performance gain and at worst make the driving experience less pleasant.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 08-09-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    97 M3
    I've found that "Italian Tune-ups," track days, and autoxs make my cars drive better.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    1982 BMW 318i
    Old sports cars were meant to be driven hard, mainly because they didnt have any helping features such as ABS, brake servo, sequential gearchange, estabilisers, low profile tyres.....

So the older the vehicle the harder is to drive it.

But then you could drive a modern sporstcar hard but I assure you it wont be as hard as it is on a 50s or 60s sportscar

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    not hard on the car if driven smoothly and well.

Clean shifts ,smooth braking inputs and driving a good line. No worries about RPMs with a maintained motor

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I once had a potential buyer for a car I was selling forcing shifts and revving the engine well beyond the point where it was making power. I told him to knock it off or buy the car. He stated "these cars were meant to be driven hard".
    This guy's clumsy attempts at fast shifting and not recognized when to do it were abuse, period, not "driving hard".
    Nothing wrong with wringing it out once in a while but the notion that hard driving is better for the car is nonsense. Revs kill and engines that are run hard and fast don't last as long.
    There will now be all sorts of anecdotal replies stating how someone thrashes his car regularly, it has xxx,xxx miles and is still going strong. Congratulations, it will last even longer if less stressed, period.
    A BMW is no different than any other machine, it will last longer when treated well.
    mikyzz4 makes a good point about short trips
    Last edited by ross1; 10-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue