Thread: No Start After Converting to Pertronix

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.

No Start After Converting to Pertronix

Well I got the car back from the shop on Monday. They did the smoke test and fixed a couple vacuum leaks at the valve cover, and timing cover. The brake booster was leaking too so I got another booster and had it rebuilt by the company in San Jose who specializes in doing so. After I got the car home, I installed that booster but sadly the engine was still searching for an idle. I'm taking it in to another shop to have an gas analyzer test and get the FD dialed in right. So before I did that I thought I'd swap in the Pertronix module and coil. Now the car won't start. First few times I got one brief, quick fire but no start. Now I get crank but nothing hinting at firing up. When I put the Bosch red coil on following the rebuild, I had to install a ceramic ballast. I removed that according to the instructions and connected those two wires together, also as mentioned in the instructions. There is no longer a condenser so that plug is no longer going anywhere. What am I missing here?

Oh SNAP!!! German Engineering is IN DA HAUS YAH!!!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    It's easy to forget this, but - Is the rotor installed and engaged in it's slot?

When the OE ballast wire was bypassed during retrofit with a ceramic ballast, did you bypass the entire length of ballast wire? (it's 3 feet long)
    Last edited by epmedia; 08-10-2018 at 01:23 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    It's easy to forget this, but - Is the rotor installed and engaged in it's slot?

When the OE ballast wire was bypassed during retrofit with a ceramic ballast, did you bypass the entire length of ballast wire? (it's 3 feet long)
    Yup, the rotor is in properly. I didn't soldier the wires together yet from the ballast. I merely slide the two female spade connectors into each other and then slightly crimped them to give them a tight union. That should be enough to test with I'm sure.

My Cars
    '72 2002
    The wire that hooked to the condenser needs to be attached to coil negative. That is also your tach signal wire.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    I believe that it is Mike. I'll have to double-check. I just meant that there female connector mid-wire is no longer plugged into anything. As I was just thinking however, should I have needed to drastically change the gap in my plugs???

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerknut View Post
    Yup, the rotor is in properly. I didn't soldier the wires together yet from the ballast. I merely slide the two female spade connectors into each other and then slightly crimped them to give them a tight union. That should be enough to test with I'm sure.
    Yes, that should be fine for test purposes. make sure the wire connection at the start/run bus is good too..

I believe that it is Mike. I'll have to double-check. I just meant that there female connector mid-wire is no longer plugged into anything. As I was just thinking however, should I have needed to drastically change the gap in my plugs???
    Wish I knew for sure, but it should run good with the OE plug gaps. I would not experiment with bigger gaps until after it's been driven for awhile.

Remove the fuel pump fuse and check for sparks from the coil, them check for sparks at the plugs. Remove all plugs before testing for best results.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2002 View Post
    The wire that hooked to the condenser needs to be attached to coil negative. That is also your tach signal wire.
    I converted, but I used the cheapo model. Two things:

1)There is a wire that doesn't get used anymore, so it just lays there (I guess it went on the condenser). If that one isn't taped up it touches the head and completely shuts the car off (even if it isn't directly touching-it sort of seeks the nearest ground). This might be the wire which is quoted above. Mine is not connected, but my tach works. I'll need to take a pic if there's some confusion; might take a day or so.

2) The magnet! Mine came with 2 sizes. I had stupidly bought a used pertronix setup for a 2002. It didn't fit, but I got the "flamethrower" coil, and the magnet that came with it was the only one that worked. This was because the magnet has to sit just right. It's been a while and I forget just how, but I know the HOT-SPARK would have never worked if I didn't figure this all out myself.

None of this is probably helpful, sorry.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by dups View Post

1)There is a wire that doesn't get used anymore, so it just lays there (I guess it went on the condenser). If that one isn't taped up it touches the head and completely shuts the car off (even if it isn't directly touching-it sort of seeks the nearest ground). This might be the wire which is quoted above. Mine is not connected, but my tach works. I'll need to take a pic if there's some confusion; might take a day or so.

2) The magnet! Mine came with 2 sizes. I had stupidly bought a used pertronix setup for a 2002. It didn't fit, but I got the "flamethrower" coil, and the magnet that came with it was the only one that worked. This was because the magnet has to sit just right. It's been a while and I forget just how, but I know the HOT-SPARK would have never worked if I didn't figure this all out myself.

It's okay. You probably had Weedies for breakfast bro! LOL! I've been busy so hopefully tomorrow I can delve into it and figure it out.
    Thanks buddy!

My Cars
    1977 320i
    It's okay. You probably had Weedies for breakfast bro! LOL! I've been busy so hopefully tomorrow I can delve into it and figure it out.
    Thanks buddy!
    LOL @ Weedies! No, I don't even drink...anymore.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    It was all meant tongue in cheek my friend! Been a long week. I slept in today. Going to throw some ribs in the smoker and settle into seeing what I can do with this no-start issue. Not even sure when I'm going to start but gotta start somewhere.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by dups View Post

Ok Dups! It's done and running again. The Red wire and Black wire are from the module. The Orange wire is a replacement for the OEM green wire going to the positive side of the coil. The other Black wire is the tach wire and goes to the negative side of the coil. There is a pink connector at the top at about 12 O'clock. That wire went to the ceramic ballast that I added when I switched to a Bosch Red coil a few years ago. I'm just going to tape and tuck it back somewhere as it doesn't seem to effect anything.

Now I'm going to work on the wiring to figure out why my tail lights come on when the ignition is on. I do not have the turn signals or headlights plugged in yet.

39142082_10155998100648192_8842030476282560512_n.jpg

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Oh, you got the flamethrower, too. Rockin'!

No worries, my whole life is tongue and cheek. I'm just glad you got it going.

When I did mine, I timed it also. They say, "Do it then, and you'll never have to do it again." Or something cheeky like that.

What are you doing with your degree? I haven't been on here for a while; pretty much since I started grad school. However, the e21 is being put to daily use. I think this is 5 years now, and I've only ever had the one real problem-the starter. My kids don't like riding in it, though. We got a 2003 Grand Caravan, but it keeps breaking down. No real surprise there.

Good luck with the tail lights.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Thanks buddy! What would be magical is if I got the turn signals and headlamps plugged in and my tail lights worked as they should. Even the brake lights don't work and everything worked before. My guess is the harness is grounding out where it goes through the shifter access hole.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Glad you figured out the wiring, BK. Can you tell the difference in power?
    Tbd

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    Glad you figured out the wiring, BK. Can you tell the difference in power?
    I'll know better after I get it back from having the FD dialed in. At the moment the idle still seems irratic to me. My mechanic said he got all the vacuum leaks except the brake booster and I just put the rebuilt one in. I checked the timing and I don't think it can look better than this, do you??? (I painted the timing notches on the flywheel when I put it all back together.

Timing Marks.jpg