Thread: Front latch cover clips?

My Cars
    E36 M3 vert/E32 750/Alfa

Front latch cover clips?

Hey, has anyone found a work-around if the two white plastic clips break, that hold the front latch cover (part #54 34 8 206 397) in place?

Apparently the clips are not sold separate from the cover -- from BMW, anyway -- and the entire cover lists for, like, >$400.00 from BMW so if anyone knows a shade-tree solution or hack to get around this thank you in advance.

Hopefully this makes sense without pics, although also hopefully not too many other people have had this issue (FWIW unfortunately BfC doesn't seem to be allowing any new images to be uploaded or any previously uploaded images to be deleted from this account right now :P )

Cheers,
    Tazio

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    First to make sure we're talking about the same part. These are the white nylon plastic parts that are attached the cover and then attach to the top via roll pins.

In my case, one came apart from the cover but did not actually break. The problem in reattaching them is that almost no glue will stick to the nylon plastic. What I did is to use JB Weld PlasticWeld epoxy putty to reattach it. I only assumed the putty would actually stick to the cover plastic and formed it over the clip so it wouldn't pull out. Now if your clips are actually broken, best bet is to get a good used cover or a crappy one and just transfer the clips. Whatever you do, it will be with used parts.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    I reattached mine with epoxy resin - it was ok the first few times the roof went up and down....

I actually sold the car about 1 year ago, and as the buyer was trying the roof (after we'd settled on money and exchanged titles) the clip came off one side, somehow put stress on the other side and the whole front cover part dropped out of position.

Embarrassing!

But yeah, the nylon doesn't really glue into place well - it seems they're both glued and melted into position from factory?

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    I drilled holes and put a screw in each side. Not beautiful, but not hideous, and it works great.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    I remember bullying these from pelican a few years ago for my 99 .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!