Thread: Engine won't start at Gas Station Seems tight 01 325xi

My Cars
    01 325xi

Engine won't start at Gas Station Seems tight 01 325xi

Looking for some ideas her from experienced individuals. I was running errands locally on saturday with my 2001 BMW 325xi. After a couple stops I went to the gas station. When I tried to start the car it stalled. Tried again -stalled. Tried a third time and it dragged the battery down. The gas station guy comes out with his jump box and after lifting the hood as I thought it odd that it start and stop he jumped it and drew it way down til no turn over. My wife towed me the three miles home and I did the huge job to change the started. When I got it off I tested it and it did run off a battery. I then tried to turn the engine through the starter hole. It would not turn easily. It seemed kind of springy. I pulled all the spark plugs and tried again to move the flywheel and again, it did move but took a great deal of force. I did not observe the valves moving but I only went maybe a half revolution.

I'm thinking valve train? I guess pull the valve cover. I don't know. I'm almost ready to give up. Love driving this car but its almost 18 years old and I've replaced so many things in the 7 years I've had it it makes me crazy.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Spud!

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    Spud, I think it would be highly unlikely that the valve train would suddenly give it up like that. Were you getting odd noises before this happened? I would guess vapor-lock or a full fuel filter. You're gonna need a scanner to check this out... There ought to be codes for this event that can help in a diagnosis.
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    01 325xi
    I was getting an odd rattle on engine shut down. Of course the engine was a bit noisy at idle with the hood up. It would still run awesome on hard acceleration.

I will be pulling the valve cover today and taking a better look at the top of the engine. Is there a problem with the oil pump that could cause a bind? Any help is appreciated. Strange there are no responses. I have a Ford diesel and get incredible response to problems I encounter there.

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    There is a problem with the nut holding the oil pump gear. If you track your car and use it at high revs for a long period, the nut can reverse off. You would have to drop the oil pan just to see it. Major PITA in a driveway. The fix is a couple of bucks but it'll cost you a couple days time to get to it. Get yourself an old laptop, a Kbus cable, and INPA software. Regular hand-held scanners are only for emissions-related issues.
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Well then, here are some options,
    concerning diagnostic tools,

For a good BMW scan tool, I feel you have 3 options:

• Foxwell nt520:http://www.foxwelltool.com/search/?q=NT520
    • Carly for BMW:http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
    • INPA software for BMW: Do a search on bimmerforums

I recommended them in no specific order,
      as selection is based more on preference.

INPA is an excellent diagnostic tool,
      but is a proprietary BMW factory tool.
      So all available copies are technically bootleg versions.
      This requires a copy of the INPA software downloaded into a laptop computer,
      along with the correct cables for your particular model of BMW.
      I recommend this only for computer geeks, or the mostly computer savvy among us.

For an affordable standalone unit, Foxwell nt510(nt520 Updated version) is the preferred unit, along with required cables.
      It can scan for BMW codes, among other things, as it can communicate with all BMW modules.

Carly for BMW is an APP,
      and as such, requires a smartphone,
      along with a connection to the OBD2 port in your vehicle,
      supplied either by cable or wireless connection via Bluetooth dongle

CarlyUpdate: Now the full version is $74/year on a recurring subscription

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A scan for codes should provide clues on what direction to take for repair.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Consider Fuel pump...and or... fuel-filter-regulator..or both...a most common.... If you have over 100k miles and the fuel pump hasn't ever been replaced, I'd start here...replace it anyway...VDO is the original supplier..Pelican sells them for..$200+ and change.... Second...is the Fuel-Filter-Regulator... generally will need replacement far sooner than the fuel (main) pump. My 03 has records showing 3 changes inside of 116k miles. They do fail..(indicating your experience) . Also, a single vacuum hose that connects this filter-regulator fails..(I drove 20k miles with the vacuum leak..didn't know why..(lost 3 mpg) didn't know it..(ever wonder why AC-Heating components do not seem to actuate? ( and yes, there can be many ways for vacuum leaks...but mine was at the fuel-filter-regulator!Without making my comment more complicated for you....there is another fuel pump that also can and will at some stage become faulty...but please..don't worry about that right now. Your BMW has two completely separate gasoline fuel tanks..located port and starboard of your drive shaft. BMW could not employ by design a single fuel tank. Two separate and individual tanks had to be installed by design. In the order to make constant fuel supply for 16 or more gallons constant...a second tank would supply fuel to the right hand tank that houses the 'main' fuel pump (right side) it is called a fuel transfer pump. They fail also, but with different characteristics. Not your problem I think here. PLEASE do not take apart your engine only to find out....that it was the simplest fix!.............SPUDDY98....If you feel this is all beyond you...I hate to see you disappointed for a great car that when problem free that you can really love. There are what we call "Indy" or indies..meaning 'independent experts...generally formerly employed mechanics that worked for the such as Mercedes Benz, I know several...also Audi-VW...in recent years. In Connecticut where I live, we have an 'indie' in Niantic, Ct. 'Inline'..they are well respected. If you are not sure...call an indie. Sounds like to me you have a really simple resolve......
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    As I posted earlier, first a scan for possible codes,
    as they provide clues for diagnosis.
    If codes point to fueling issues,
    perform a fuel pressure test at fuel rail Schrader valve.

Post back with all codes displayed - generic OBD2 or BMW specific.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Typically...OBDII code system and there readers do NOT detect fuel pump or fuel filter regulator fail with codes...in fact, I doubt such are with any automobile!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Generally speaking....OBDll...are readers for failed US mandated emissions systems...generally. Some OBDll code readers can detect fault codes for systems un-related to engine systems relating emissions.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Yes..that is correct...No pressure at that schrader valve indicates absents of pressure for fuel to the injection rack... Pressure is developed from a healthy fuel pump and an unobscured filter....the Fuel-regulator.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Typically...OBDII code system and there readers do NOT detect fuel pump or fuel filter regulator fail with codes...in fact, I doubt such are with any automobile!
    The codes can, or may only provide the clues,
    it depends on your experience how you decipher them.