Thread: New OEM jack pads don’t fit

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6

New OEM jack pads don’t fit

Im getting really sick of these cars because it seems everything I do ends with an ordeal like this.

I waited 2 weeks for two brand new OEM front jack pads. They don’t fit for fuck. It’s as if the plastic casting is off and they bottom out on the rocker before the tabs can seat and snap in the hole. Has anyone run in to this before is this a known issue?

My Cars
    1994 850CSi, 2007 M5
    Are you referring to #18 in the below link? If so, I recently replaced both front and rear OEM jack pads with no issue.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_0887
    1994 850CSi, 2007 M5, 1990 VW Westy Syncro, 2010 e61 Touring Manual

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Yes number 18. I pop them in and they don’t stay snapped in tightly. I can pop them out with my pinky.

My observation is that the fin parts of the plastic are too long and they bottom out on the body of the car before the tabs can seat and hold the block in. It’s either that or the tabs are faulty and won’t lock in properly but I’m leaning more towards the former after I tried putting in.

My Cars
    bmw 850
    there might be an issue with some jack pads because i lost a front one days after i put it on,
    at the time i thought maybe i hadnt put it on firmly enough.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by razman850 View Post
    there might be an issue with some jack pads because i lost a front one days after i put it on,
    at the time i thought maybe i hadnt put it on firmly enough.
    I've lost a few over the years. One of the "experts" here recommended doing a proper cleaning of the area then apply a bit of adhesive to the pad area that makes contact with the frame. So far I have seen another pad tumbling down the freeway in the rearview mirror.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Just use butyl rope and cut a piece and put it around the opening. It will stay put and can be removed later without issue.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '95 840Ci, '06 730d
    I feel your pain, I had this too when I bought a full set of pads. They just didn’t seem to clip into the aperture properly. Haven’t found a solution to hold them more securely but haven’t lost any so far. Would grinding down the top surface of the tall extrusion help do you think?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    That was my thinking and I was going try it however if that ends up not being the problem and it’s the actual clips themselves not being tight enough or whatever then I can’t return it. That’s $50 I could use getting some different ones to try.

We had an 850 in the shop a while back that we bought some for and they worked fine so it looks like it’s a real hit or miss with these things.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    I forget, but do these only go in one way? Try re-orienting 180 degrees? Otherwise, it has been suggested to silicone them in.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    When I have put new pads on the 8's I have redone, I do what was mentioned way back in Roadfly days. Take some black silicone, put around the tabs that fit up into the holes, put them into place and let the silicone cure. Mine have never come off after doing this, but you can still remove them if needed.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1994 840ci
    If you use silicone to hold stuff on, make sure it is not acidic. Before I saw the light and got an 8, I had a W126 Mercedes SEC with AMG side skirts. When I went to remove them, the rusty sides of the sills came with them! The acid in the silicone had caused the metal to rust out, leaving me with 4 foot long strips as wide as my finger with no steel left...

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Good call. Just use butyl.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I’d rather not rig it to fit I kinda just want one that fits as designed.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    When I have put new pads on the 8's I have redone, I do what was mentioned way back in Roadfly days. Take some black silicone, put around the tabs that fit up into the holes, put them into place and let the silicone cure. Mine have never come off after doing this, but you can still remove them if needed.
    This is the way to do it and if the car has been lifted without the pads in place, the jacking points will be out of shape.