Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: I need one more season out of my Z3 Roadster top (aftermarket).

My Cars
    1998 Z3 with 1.9/auto

I need one more season out of my Z3 Roadster top (aftermarket).

I have an aftermarket ragtop. The plastic window has shrunk and has pulled the threading out of the top so that 3 of the 4 corners are not sewn in anymore and the top leaks. I use the car when there is no chance of rain and want to eliminate the leaks. I have attempted to repair by sewing by hand but this did not work.

I purchased black gorilla tape and it is about 4" wide. I plan to use the tape to tape the window in. I think that by carefully cutting and taping the edges of the tape to help me "turn the corners" of the windows I can keep the number of creases in the tape to a minimum. I know that this might look a bit ghetto but I want to spend the $$$ on other maintenance and budget for a new top in a year or so.

I will be attempting to scruff the tape and paint it close to the color of the top so it might not be so bad looking.

If I keep the car out of the sun and covered when parked do you guys think this is a viable solution or not? Do you think that it will be waterproof and keep from getting so hot that the glue softens leaving me with a top and window with glue all over it?
    -Marshall

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    I don't have any experience with convertible tops but I'm thinking black gets so hot in the summer sun that the glue will soften and not hold at all. You'll be doing a ton of work and the result is going to be sub par.
    I'd suggest you get a quote from an upholstery/convert. top shop for a minimal repair and see what they suggest.
    A while ago I saw a you tube video about a fellow testing various brands of tape for various properties - shear strength, stickiness, holding power, and he did a good job. Hunt up the video and it might help if you do decide to try the tape fix.