RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Soft top operation

My Cars
    2003 Z4 E-85

Soft top operation

When I press the "down" button for the top, the top unlocks and I can hear the motor running behind my backrest, but the top does not retract. However, a push with my hand and the top will quickly retract. To raise, I have to pull the red lever inside the trunk, lock it in place and the top can be raised by hand with ease. Then, when I press the "up" button, the top locks to the windshield frame as it should. So, my question is this: Since I can hear the motor running but no action with the top, does this mean the pump/motor is defective? I know the pump/motor is one unit with hydraulic lines attached. Where are the other ends of the lines attached? What type hydraulic fluid is used, how much, and where is the fluid inserted in the pump system? Car is a 2003 Z4 2.5i.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The pump lives in a plastic bucket, just behind the door of the car. The bucket is a really great place for water to collect. In order to access the pump and reservoir, step one is to remove the roof, complete.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2003 Z4 E-85
    bmwdirtracer, I've sent you 2 messages thru private messages tonight--neither of which went thru. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Carmine's is going to diagnose it Monday.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I have answered via PM. Take the car to Carmine's, and keep your neighbor away from it.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2003 Z4 E-85
    Yeah, I saw you sent the same message as the first PM. For unknown reasons, my responses thru PM did not go thru. FYI, my neighbor has diagnosed the problem with my electrical top. I'll see what Carmine's mechanic diagnosis is tomorrow and let you know the results. Someone else who reads these boards might want to read the results as Carmine's guy tells me the Z4 tops are notorious for failure.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 E-85
    Chris, Thank you for your private messages. I appreciate your apology on your "quick to judge" someone else's opinion to seek an alternate diagnostic for my roof problem.
    I have written the forum moderator for help on my private message returns. i sent you 3 or 4 messages, none of which showed going thru the forum system.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Roger, it would seem that you misread my "apology". I apologized only that you mistook my words as mean, when I was trying to help...NOT for being "quick to judge".

Here's what I said:

QUOTE:

I wasn't critical of YOU, at all. I was critical only of a decision to trust someone "who used to be an auto mechanic" to diagnose what's wrong with your Z4's roof. This car, and this convertible top system, isn't something that's going to be easily diagnosed by someone unfamiliar with BMWs, and in particular, Z4 convertibles.

I'm much better acquainted with Carmine Jr., than his Dad. And Carmine Jr. will be much more able to diag your roof, or know which of his technicians to put on that job.

I apologize if you thought I was being mean. I was trying to save you from following the advice of someone who, I'm betting, has no business working on your car.

Didn't I give you a link to TIS (BMW manuals?) I'd much sooner encourage you to do your own diagnostics, than have you trust a generic ex-mechanic.

UNQUOTE

Good luck with your ex-generic mechanic.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412