RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Oh no... M62TU head gasket replacement questions.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1989

Oh no... M62TU head gasket replacement questions.

Hello everyone,

My uncle just gave me his 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4. Of course it has a blown head gasket. I also discovered 2 blown hoses in the back leading to intake manifold.

This is my first V8, chain drive, and also a vehicle after the year 2000 I’ll be working on. Up for the challenge, I really like working on older cars. So, I’ve been researching and
    looking at youtube videos and sources from the google on what to do, I have the special tools for the timing and everything ordered already.
    But, I’m still a little vague on a couple of things and would be great if I had some clarity from people directly with this M62 engine.

1. I don’t want to start pulling out the heads until I have it at TDC. How to determine when its at TDC? I know it’s when the OT is at the mark and it’s 2 revolutions per 1 cycle.

2. When they speak of right head cylinder and left head cylinder, is the right meaning passenger, and left meaning driver side? or vice versa

3. When I have it at TDC, do I have to lock the fly wheel with the tool before removing the heads?

4. Could I just remove both heads at the same time once it’s at TDC? or do I remove one at a time, I also noticed the 45 degree OT mark, what is this for?

5. So when the machine shops takes these heads, I should request them to put them at TDC and they should have both heads correctly tuned and in sync? I will just have to use the timing tools for minor timing adjustment when putting it back?

6. What is the best way to take off the exhaust on the sides? Such small space.

Any information will be great, please feel free to explain this to me like a naive child
    Last edited by Winhotel; 08-08-2018 at 02:25 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    1. Should be a mark on the crank on the front of the engine for timing. By the time you are ready to mess with the timing you should have a pretty decent view of the camshafts. The camshaft lobe should not be pointing down.

2. I don't remember off top.

3. When you have it at TDC, if you can, lock the flywheel and the cams. Mark everything so you can set the timing back during reassembly. Then I assume remove the camshafts.i

4. Unless you have four arms, you're not removing them at the same time. Idk exact procedure for this engine, that will tell you if you need to adjust the timing for removing the second head. If so will prolly be to ensure the valves and piston don't connect.

5. The timing of the engine is normally done during reassembly. Remember to mark everything so you can put it back in the correct orientation.

6. No clue. If it's a v8 may be easier from underneath it through wheel wells. Get a long flex head ratchet. I got mine from harbor freight for ~$20-25 and it was decently comparable to my boss's snap on. It s neck wasn't as stiff and only 72 teeth instead of 80 but just as long of a handle to get good torque and good operation for $100+ less.

Good luck and remember to flush your radiator and change your oil after 500 (hundred) miles the first time. And Mark your timing stuff.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1989
    Sweet Thanks! Will do!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I believe that you will find more help in this forum with this project. Best of luck!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Any information will be great, please feel free to explain this to me like a naive child

Okay then. Call me a naive child......

Let's start with this:
    If the headgasket(s) died, on an M62 tu, the engine likely overheated. IF the engine overheated, there is significant likelihood of extensive damage, above and beyond the head gaskets.

Have a look at this thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...from-home-quot

(The M62 doesn't like to be cooked)

Now, here are the factory directions for doing your timing, head gasket, and ALL other repairs for your car:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

I highly recommend that you avoid getting directions from YouTube. They tell you things like "mark your timing stuff". NO. Use the damned factory directions, and the proper tools.

Um, when you do this job, you'll want to replace all the timing chain rails and chains, too, plus the valley pan, all the CCV stuff, and more.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I agree with Chris. Blown head gaskets are rare on that engine but the engine is usually done when it happens. Most find a used engine and do the guides before installing it. The back hoses bursting is much more common. I bet I've replace them on every E38 (same engine) I've had. My point is I hope someone did a proper test to verify the head gasket is bad, or at least have the tell tell signs of such.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1989
    Yes actually I pulled out the intake and found 2 hoses burst in the back. One small one and one maybe a 1/2'' which goes down on the passenger side of engine, not sure where it goes yet.

- - - Updated - - -

sweet thanks!