Thread: Recommended automatic transmission fluid for 2000 BMW 323ci with 183k+ miles?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci

Recommended automatic transmission fluid for 2000 BMW 323ci with 183k+ miles?

Just got a 2000 BMW 323ci and it definitely needs some TLC. I'll be changing the solenoids to hopefully fix the reverse gear, and while I'm down there I'll have to change the transmission fluid. What's a good ATF for these cars?

I don't want to spend too much as I'm not sure exactly how much longevity this car has left since it was a bit neglected, just unsure of the extent of it.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...mission-fluid/

Bob is the Oil Guy recommends. I have used it in the 2005 ZHP that I sold as well.

2005 330ci ZHP 6MT
    2005 330i ZHP AT (Sold)
    1989 325i
    1990 318is
    2014 328d X-drive
    2017 VW Alltrack

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Have a look at the label on the bottom of the transmission, it will tell you which fluid is in the transmission. Its likely to be one of the "life time fill" fluids, which is no longer available. This means you need a compatible fluid. Have a look at the Valvoline Max Life Multi Vehicle spec sheet to confirm that it covers your fluid type.

Do a couple of drain and fills with driving in between, before doing the final drain, drop pan and replace filter (plus the other work you have planned). This will dilute the old fluid down to a level where any incompatible issues will be minimised.

The transmission is full when:
    - level car on axle stands
    - engine running
    - Fluid temp between 30-50C
    - Fluid is just dripping out of the fill port
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323Ci
    Any reason you recommend a couple drains and fills rather than a complete flush? I was just going to do a flush.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    The drain and fill procedure is to replace the fluid in the torque converter. If you can set up the flush to also flush the torque converter, then go for it.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Maxlife and the multiple drain refill procedure is correct.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step is to determine which transmission is in the car. Why? BMW sourced transmissions from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are different transmissions. The GM box’s fluid pan has smooth sides. The ZF box’s fluid pan has rubbed sides. The GM box is designed to use Dexron3 fluid. The ZF box uses its own fluid. Some claim that such and such brand of fluid is fine in both boxes. Check E46Fanatics for a list of approved fluids for each box.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    If you have a ZF box, changing your solenoids is unlikely to fix your reverse problem. You'll need to replace the reverse drum in the gearbox itself, which is a pain..
    If you have a GM box, clean out the valve body (carefully) as you will likely found bits of broken solenoid in there. Then replace the lockup solenoid (or all solenoids if you want to be thorough).

A common problem, sadly..

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    The GM box also has nylon check balls that oblong. Replacing those can help with harsh shifting. Maxlife meets all specs for GM and ZF

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Wagons have GM ....Sedans have ZF....both have different atf specification. GM specified atf...no longer available..5 years now. ZF..not a problem!............Question, if a wagon owner, what atf to use? My 03 325xi...an all-wheel drive BMW...acts motionless....upon first shift into DRIVE (reverse is good) out of the driveway in the morning, cold, 10 seconds before engagement into drive. Anyone have a similar?
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-13-2018 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Nylon check balls...got it! I had hard shifts until I learned about the "BMW adaptive automatic transmission memory" Audi and MB and others also employed...still do.... I had the really hard BANG shifts with my 03 e46 GM but is not limited...ZF has also..until I did the BMW default...It's very simple to reset your automatic transmission...it will become another car...seriously...try it..............Press the accelerator pedal to the floor..all the way....insert your key into the ignition...turn the key to all stops...before engaging the starter motor......hold the key in this position for 30 seconds.....after 30 seconds...turn further the key to engage the starter motor to start the engine.....Job done!............................Take it for a drive.....You will notice immediately a different character!
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-13-2018 at 05:45 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Wagons have GM ....Sedans have ZF....both have different atf specification. GM specified atf...no longer available..5 years now. ZF..not a problem!............Question, if a wagon owner, what atf to use? My 03 325xi...an all-wheel drive BMW...acts motionless....upon first shift into DRIVE (reverse is good) out of the driveway in the morning, cold, 10 seconds before engagement into drive. Anyone have a similar?
    Its not that simple. All "sport" 3 series whether it be sedan or coupe also got the GM trans. Some A5S360R, some A5S390R. All AWD models got the A5S390R. Difference is power handling capacity. They are physically the same size with the same internals, leading me to believe the difference lies within the torque converter.

The no motion first thing in the morning is caused by a flaw in the design of the C1 clutch pack within a certain production run date of GM transmission. The tolerances are not tight enough to keep line pressure from bleeding off overnight after it sits in the driveway. When put in gear the first thing in the morning, it has to refill that clutch pack which can take a while. Some people have had limited success with the software update that was issued to address this.

Also, stop saying no fluid is available for the GM transmissions. Just because ETL doesn't exist anymore doesn't mean there aren't plenty that meet the specs and are better quality fluids. Dex6, Maxlife, Mobil 1, Castrol Import, Redline D4.

Its like saying theres no milk available because a certain brand stopped offering it.
    Last edited by dhurley34; 08-14-2018 at 12:14 PM.