Thread: Dash Replacement Required?

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S

Dash Replacement Required?

Need some help or info on our dash. I was pulling out my gauge cluster and the plastic that holds the gauge cluster and surrounds it disintegrated - plastic was so brittle it couldn't really take any flex or pressure before just falling apart. Its a FL car, and my guess from other work around the dash is that it just stood in the sun for long periods of time and dry-rotted. I have a spare dash that's in better shape, but really dred the idea of swapping them. Can that plastic trim be reinstalled without pulling the entire dash?

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I wonder specifically how much effect the weather here in FL has on the BMW plastics. Plastics are super brittle in my car too. I am in NE FL. The trim cover by the windshield on my car ( I don't think your M has this) literally came out in about 50 or so pieces. I need to pull my dash to replace it properly, but I think it may snowball into major cost replacing plastics by the time I have the dash out.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by blkwpnz View Post
    I wonder specifically how much effect the weather here in FL has on the BMW plastics. Plastics are super brittle in my car too. I am in NE FL. The trim cover by the windshield on my car ( I don't think your M has this) literally came out in about 50 or so pieces. I need to pull my dash to replace it properly, but I think it may snowball into major cost replacing plastics by the time I have the dash out.
    I have 2 1998 Z3's, and the one from NH has far better plastics than the one from FL. The plastic in the FL car is almost like working with saltines.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Mine was built in 10/96 and the plastics are OK. It has been garaged when not driven.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiede30 View Post
    I have 2 1998 Z3's, and the one from NH has far better plastics than the one from FL. The plastic in the FL car is almost like working with saltines.
    Exactly. It does not matter if the part was exposed to the sun or not, it crumbles or at least cracks if you try to do anything with it. It is not confidence inspiring when it comes to considering any interior work. It almost seems easier to learn to work with carbon fiber and replace everything with that.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    I keep my 98 covered to try and avoid this issue.
    Also in N Florida.
    The summer sun is a killer on these 20 yeR old plastic parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

Dashboard

1st photo is back side of Roadster dashboard. 2nd photo is back side of Coupe dashboard. The Coupe doesn't have that trim cover. The 3rd photo is the dashboard removed. I replaced my Roadster dashboard with the Coupe dashboard. Note that the 6 screws holding the dashboard cover piece that can only be accessed from underneath. However, there are some forum members who think differently. The trim cover piece (#21) in the diagram https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4082 can be purchased from ecsturning.com

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/51458410975/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MORRIE; 08-07-2018 at 12:35 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I suppose once I get this other car out of my shop I can tear mine down and not be in a hurry to get it back together. I might run some cables while I have it apart. I am itching for a new head unit, etc, but can't afford all of it right now. I have a brand new trim cover ready to go in, but need to order the plugs that go in the holes. Morrie, I appreciate the pics. When it comes to pulling the steering wheel, is there a special one for these or will a universal steering wheel puller work?

I am considering spraying this trim cover with some no sheen UV resistant clear. Is there a reason why this might be a poorly thought out idea?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    You don't need a steering wheel puller. The airbag comes out with two Torx bolts, and the wheel comes off with a standard socket. The size alludes me, but probably 17mm or 19mm.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    You don't need a steering wheel puller. The airbag comes out with two Torx bolts, and the wheel comes off with a standard socket. The size alludes me, but probably 17mm or 19mm.
    The 2 torx bolts are in the rear of the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Be sure you get them secure when removing - they're at an odd angle and they can be tricky if you're not careful. Then as stated above, 17 or 19mm to remove the steering wheel bolt and the wheel just pulls out.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    This thread is what I used to help me pull the dashboard....very detailed with photos. Note that I did NOT remove any of the column switches. Hope this helps. https://www.zroadster.net/forum/view...360432#p360432

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Wow, very detailed. Bookmarked. Many thanks Morrie.

- - - Updated - - -

Great to hear there is no special tool required for removing the steering wheel as well. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    This thread is what I used to help me pull the dashboard....very detailed with photos. Note that I did NOT remove any of the column switches. Hope this helps. https://www.zroadster.net/forum/view...360432#p360432
    Thanks - I reviewed that earlier - great write up. I didn't need to pull the center console out as long as the screws were removed. I pulled the old dash out last night, and will try to pull the newer one out of my M tonight before I make some cosmetic changes so that it matches the center console and gauge panel.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Maybe take some photos and share with us along with details. It could help others who are considering replacing their trim cover.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Maybe take some photos and share with us along with details. It could help others who are considering replacing their trim cover.

Probably won't have much time - in a rush to get the dash out and back in so I can get it roadworthy before winter hits. Need to get the other chassis out of the garage asap.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    The 2 torx bolts are in the rear of the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Be sure you get them secure when removing - they're at an odd angle and they can be tricky if you're not careful. Then as stated above, 17 or 19mm to remove the steering wheel bolt and the wheel just pulls out.
    They're not at an odd angle if you turn your steering wheel 90 degrees each way when removing. After the bolts are out (they stay put in the wheel IIRC), I turn the wheel back to center, remove the key to lock the wheel, and take the airbag out. Then I mark the steering wheel and hub with a punch or a marker for alignment. When removing the wheel, use your muscle as counter force so you're not stressing anything (that link says not necessary but I still brace the wheel). Easy peasy. Oh, and sounds like the nut is 16mm.

2nd photo shows the bolt protruding through the wheel.

20170118_145706.jpg20160527_144054.jpg
    Last edited by s8ilver; 08-21-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    They're not at an odd angle if you turn your steering wheel 90 degrees each way when removing. After the bolts are out (they stay put in the wheel IIRC), I turn the wheel back to center, remove the key to lock the wheel, and take the airbag out. Then I mark the steering wheel and hub with a punch or a marker for alignment. When removing the wheel, use your muscle as counter force so you're not stressing anything (that link says not necessary but I still brace the wheel). Easy peasy. Oh, and sounds like the nut is 16mm.

2nd photo shows the bolt protruding through the wheel.

20170118_145706.jpg20160527_144054.jpg
    Its not the orientation of the steering wheel that's odd, its the head of the screws that aren't as easy to engage as it would be if they weren't embedded in the back of the wheel. I've removed multiple steering wheels from BMWs and they all have the same setup, and they always seem to be hard to get the head of the screw engaged with the driver.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    I can vouch for that.
    Its not the orientation of the steering wheel that's odd, its the head of the screws that aren't as easy to engage as it would be if they weren't embedded in the back of the wheel. I've removed multiple steering wheels from BMWs and they all have the same setup, and they always seem to be hard to get the head of the screw engaged with the driver.

My Cars
    z3
    When you rotate the wheel, you can fit a ratchet with a small extension into the hole that is on the bottom very easily, and unscrew it. It's exceptionally difficult if you try to unscrew it without rotating the wheel

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    When you rotate the wheel, you can fit a ratchet with a small extension into the hole that is on the bottom very easily, and unscrew it. It's exceptionally difficult if you try to unscrew it without rotating the wheel
    Also much easier with seat removed.

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Back to the original topic - dash replaced and ready to put the rest of the interior back (not much going back in though).20180829_185358.jpg

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Back to the original topic - dash replaced and ready to put the rest of the interior back (not much going back in though).20180829_185358.jpg
    Interesting console set up. I like it. What do the toggle switches control?

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Interesting console set up. I like it. What do the toggle switches control?
    Hazards and the ignition. One is a blank not yet assigned. Will probably wire in the Spal fan or gauges.