Thread: What do you use for detailing your E39?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6spd

What do you use for detailing your E39?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, the main forum seemed to mostly be related to maintenance/performance issues.

I recently purchased a 2001 540i 6 speed with some M-Sport stuff (wheels, steering wheel) and, while it's in overall great shape, I'd like to do my best to keep it that way. The seats need some love but again, considering their age I'm surprised they aren't cracked or showing any of the padding. They're a little bit dirty but nothing serious so I'm looking for what people are using. I picked up some Meguiar's Rich Leather Cleaner to start but here's what else I'd like to see about maintaining --

• Dashboard (how do you treat this? does this suffer from cracking like the older dashboards? is there a recommended cover?)
    • Steering wheel
    • Engine bay

Just curious what everyone likes using in their cars. Would be interested to see the tools you use as well. I picked up some boar's hair brushes for the leather seats after watching a few videos.

Thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and congrats on the new ride! Take a look at the links below to our Car Care section products and CoverKing Dash Cover. Please let us know if you have any questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...CARINT_pg6.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...RIOTS_pg22.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/Porsche...over_start.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    I like Lexol products. Others don't like Lexol products. Many also like Leatherique products (rejuvenator oil and prestine clean). You must filter out the good advice from the bad advice so good luck with that. I use the Lexol deep conditioner similar to what is recommended for Leatherique. I leave it on for awhile to allow it to penetrate and then remove it. Then I do that again (and maybe again.....). I then follow up with the lexol cleaner to remove the shine and get more of a matte finish.

As far as protectants, I've tried a lot through the years and have settled in on using 303 Aerospace protectant exclusively.

My Cars
    e39 520ia (year:1997)
    For exterior I use only a small kircher pressure washer , cheap wax free car shampoo, cheap micro fiber brush and a deer cloth . It works well for cleaning . Although I am not that particular about exterior if I am honest .

For interior I first use a heavy duty-water vacuum cleaner to thouroglhly vacuum all the seats ,the headliner(one of the benefits of having a sagging headliner is that you can thoroughly clean it at your hearths content lol ),and lastly I vacuum all the accessible crevices and floors . Then I wipe all the non cloth interior parts with a wet multi purpose spongy cloth and warm soapy water (rinsing the cloth often ). I always start with the cleanest parts like the center console ,dashboard ,wood trim first and then wipe the dirty parts like steering wheel ,arm rests ,door handles etc at the end . I repeat this process with different multi purpose cloth and only water . Then at last I wipe all the interior parts dry with regular cloth and that's it . I don't use any cockpit sprays ,polishers air refreshenners bcs I don't want to mask any odors or stains I have to get rid of . I am quite particular with my interior so it takes forever to clean it . When I am cleaning my inside windows,mirrors and lcd screens I clean them with regular alcohol based sprayer and micro fiber cloth .