Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very fast blinking turn signals?

My Cars
    '78 320i

Very fast blinking turn signals?

I did some research and couldnt find anything for the e21.. kinda surprising. I have heard of signals not working at all, however, my turn indicators are blinking very very fast. I always had a broken hazard switch that I used a pin to hold it to the 'sweet spot' but this issue sprung up so I decided to get a new switch. This did not resolve the issue, so I got new bulbs, just in case. No dice.

What would cause the turn signals to blink absurdly fast? We're talking 10 blinks a second, its damn near a constant light. The dashboard does not light up to indicate the blinking. If I push the hazard switch it will blink fast as well. Another note, the relay is clicking alongside the turn signal. Finally, if I press the hazard switch juuuust right, its a bit slower.

Its been so long I drove this car, I cant recall what was 'normal' but I know this isnt normal.

My Cars
    82 c1 2.3, 92 M5T
    that's usually a sign that one of the bulbs is burnt or otherwise not working correctly. have you checked to see if they light up?
    1972 BMW 2000 touring (restoration in progress), 1982 Alpina C1 2.3 (restoration in progress), and a 1992 BMW M5T (DD)

my restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

My Cars
    '78 320i
    All 4 light up. Reverse and brake light up too. I replaced all 4 turn signal bulbs just in case but to no avail.

My Cars
    1980 e21, 1985 323i
    one of the bulbs is the wrong voltage: At least that is how it worked for me.
    Are all the bulbs the exact same wattage??
    jm

My Cars
    '78 320i
    P21 in the rear and P21/5w in the front. All 4 are 12v however.

edit: Some reading online says that one of the wires could be damaged. Given the mess of wiring under my dash its very feasible.
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 08-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Is the relay still good?

My Cars
    1981 E21 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    .What would cause the turn signals to blink absurdly fast? We're talking 10 blinks a second, its damn near a constant light. The dashboard does not light up to indicate the blinking.
    First off ... if the dash light isn't flashing ... that is upsetting the total load the relay is "seeing". The flasher relay is "load sensing" and flashes rapidily to show there is a bulb burnt out.

Alternatively .... I seem to remember someone had a similar problem caused by one (or both?) of the front bulbs had been put in around the wrong way in the socket ...ie .. 5w element for blinkers and 21w for the parking lights also caused the fast flash thing

Cheers
    hmm .. Wonder what happens if I do this ...

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Check/clean connections and grounds - bad ground is a most common issue.

Also, if you have bulbs with yellow base, replace them with silver base OEM bulbs.

Max

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    ground or relay

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I'll check grounds for now until relay is sourced. The front signals tie to the G17 ground which ties in to the horn, high beams, etc and all work ok. Rear look OK too but it doesnt hurt to re check. It's *probably* the relay since its the only thing I havent been able to replace yet. Too bad its a funky relay and not the standard relay.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    I doubt it is a relay... Also, clean the bulb sockets and pins with sandpaper. There may be water in the tail lights that oxidized the connections and there is probably oxidation in the fronts because they are not as sealed as rears.
    What happens if you turn the headlights on? Does it make any difference?
    Also, how about the emergency flashers?

Max

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 2012 X5 35d
    Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I'm having similar problems...

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Never figured it out. Need to try and clean the bulb sockets again, maybe with a wire brush this time.

Turning on headlights makes no difference, though the hazards slow it down a tad, though even the hazards seem faster than they used to be? Does anyone know the 'pace' the blinkers are typically?

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

On mine when this happens its a bulb, I clean the lead contact(s) on the bulb and its back normal, may also clean the copper contacts in the socket itself and put some dielectric grease on them to prevent oxidation.

Randy

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    10 blinks a second is really fast. I recall maybe 3 blinks a second with bulb issues. In case you're wondering where the ground bundles are located: Front = near the battery tray. Rear = under the rear parcel on the left side (NA driver side).

Maybe the fuse and fuse holders are corroded and need tightened?

Here's the electric manual for the '78. Save a copy!

http://www.findmymerchant.com/images...l/ETM_1978.pdf
    Last edited by epmedia; 08-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I kinda ruled out the ground bundles since all my other grounds are working OK. I can double check and maybe this 1 ground is oxidized or needs to be sorted... but even then other components go to this ground ( I think the horn too?) and they all work.

I'll recheck the fuse holders though they do have new ceramic fuses.

ETM is my friend from the swap to an M42.
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 08-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    I kinda ruled out the ground bundles since all my other grounds are working OK. I can double check and maybe this 1 ground is oxidized or needs to be sorted... but even then other components go to this ground ( I think the horn too?) and they all work.

I'll recheck the fuse holders though they do have new ceramic fuses.

ETM is my friend from the swap to an M42.
    Grounds are strange when a few/several are bundled together. One thing may work, another may not, and another can ground through another - causing strangeness. Especially the bundle near the battery tray. It may be tight, but filthy between each wire connector. If you've not already done so - disconnect this ground bundle and clean all the connectors. The nut on mine was corroded to the stud and I had to make a new ground connection - use penetrant on this hardware!

just fyi: Brass/copper fuses don't corrode fast like the aluminum color fuses.
    Tbd

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Grounds are good, all new lock washers and nuts, cleaned, etc. still the issue persists. Im sorta lost on this. I wonder if my voltmeter can help decipher the issue? Wouldnt know where to begin. Desipte the age old joke for BMW drivers, I just dont feel like my car is safe without properly working turn signals..

My Cars
    way too many
    Check the turn signal stalk switch:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...5#post29242345
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    '78 320i
    OK so I didnt mess with the turn signal stalk but I did sand down every single connection point from the bulb to the harness to the fuse holders. If I were to take a guess it was definitely corrosion build up from where the turn signal housing plugs in to the harness since I missed that the first time.

The right side signal flashes once and then does not light up so I still have some corrosion to contend with.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    I JUST got my relay in the mail from Bavauto today. FIXED my fast blinking problem! $138. That's why I chose it as last resort. Caution! It's not a Hella like the one that went bad. That one had a bracket on it that attached tightly. I used a Ty-rap to hold it in place before putting the steering column cover on.

Oh SNAP!!! German Engineering is IN DA HAUS YAH!!!

My Cars
    F10 M5 E30 M50B28 Swap
    I have an E30 that was doing that. I replaced all the bulbs, thinking maybe one was shorting out or something, still had the problem. Bought a cheap relay, then purchased an OEM relay, finally after no joy. I purchased a new directional stalk.

Problem solved. If you have access to even a used stalk try swapping it out.

Not saying this is your problem, it was just mine in my E30 and it may relate to an E21 as well.
    Hunter S. Thompson -“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

My Cars
    '78 320i
    OK so long time over due. Cleaning the corrosion mitigated the issue for maybe a month but I finally got my hands on a turn signal relay and that was the issue.

However, new question.. The green light for the turn signals on the dash is always illuminated. What would cause that or is that standard operation (unless my memory is bad, I dont think thats the case).

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Weird! No, the green indicator on the dash should flash too. Mine occasionally will stay on when I cancel the signal, but flicking the switch again for a second makes it go off.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    OK so long time over due. Cleaning the corrosion mitigated the issue for maybe a month but I finally got my hands on a turn signal relay and that was the issue.

However, new question.. The green light for the turn signals on the dash is always illuminated. What would cause that or is that standard operation (unless my memory is bad, I dont think thats the case).
    Check / clean the dash panel ground connection too. If I remember correctly, it's on the steel dash panel horizontal, bottom, near the steering column.
    Tbd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast